• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• velysai
    replied
    Re: "Untraceable" Trailer

IMO, my biggest issues with the script are (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

The method used to cause the number of hits to shorten the time in terms of EToD seemed absurd.

The actual EToDs were ridiculous.

A lot of the techie stuff seemed impossible.

On top of that, there were some typos and I noticed every time a character smiled because either the micro-managing smile action line wasn't needed at all or it seemed a completely inappropriate time to smile.

Despite all this, it was a compelling read and kept me up into the wee hours of the morning because I wanted to know what happened next. Go figure.

Leave a comment:

• seh
    replied

I'm intrigued, too. If anyone wouldn't mind passing along the script, please pm or email.

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Terrance Mulloy
    replied

I agree with what both of you are saying. And you're right. It is a high concept - marketable idea.

But when you strip away all the ooo's and ahh's, it seems pretty ridiculous, and that's what I was getting at. Not the viability of the hook by Hollywood standards, but based on the trailer it looks a little silly. As far as the film itself goes - well, I mean, for all I know the film could be awesome?

I'm going to have to read the script, because I want to know how the hell this guy kills his victims with more hits to the website. It has me intrigued.

Leave a comment:

• WritersBlock2010
    replied

Originally posted by seh View Post
    I think some of you guys are harder than the market when it comes to believability of concepts, and I'm not sure that serves you well.
    I think we have all been bamboozled into thinking we have to come up with the next "Speed".

Hey. It's great if you can. It's even better if you can effectively execute the concept well in a screenplay (the other half of the equation).

But barring both of these prerequisites... What I believe aspiring writers should look at are projects like "Untraceable" and see the thought process of both the writers AND the producers who bought it and greenlighted it.

For example, look at "The Kingdom".

Even though it bombed... The concept is fairly straight forward and has a hook. It is basically "CSI goes to Saudi Arabia". It is same because it is an action movie, but different because of the setting and geopolitical and religious baggage it addresses.

And speaking of which... I can bet another reason "Untraceable" was greenlighted is because it IS similar to a lot of the dominant police procedurals on TV right now (CSI; Without a Trace; Bones) as is "The Kingdom". This is not a bad thing, guys. It means this is what the general audience is interested in, familiar with and are most likely willing to spend their money at the box office to see. This is the epitome of same, but different.

Like I said, I'm not saying you can't have an opinion as a movie fan. This movie might suck royally. And it will probably bomb given most films of this type do.

But agian, it is the thought process that should be examined because I feel this is the number one thing more important than just being a good writer. It is not knowing what your market wants, but how that market thinks which in turn leads to what it wants.

Leave a comment:

• seh
    replied

I'm with you Writers Block, as I think you know.

I think the thing to think about is this: what type of per centage of managers (and to a lesser extent agents) do you think would have requested a look-see at this script? I would wager that it would have gotten a ton of read requests, because it's got a clever, high concept premise, and can be done very affordably. I think some of you guys are harder than the market when it comes to believability of concepts, and I'm not sure that serves you well.

But that's just my .02.

And by the way, thanks a ton for posting this link!

Leave a comment:

• Terrance Mulloy
    replied

Originally posted by j over View Post
    What if the killer (or killers) just simply checks to see if the site has gotten more hits and if so then proceeds to shorten the lifespan of their latest victim?
    Sure, that's feasible, but once again I go back to my "ludicrous" argument.

Imagine watching a film where the serial killer is downstairs in his "untraceable" den of torture, with some poor guy half dead, sprawled out on a rack, and this killer is stopping every few seconds to check his Google Adwords account.

Leave a comment:

• j over
    replied

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
    What I want to know is - how the fvck does more hits to the site kill the victims faster? What, is the guy's heart hooked up to a modem or something?

What if the killer (or killers) just simply checks to see if the site has gotten more hits and if so then proceeds to shorten the lifespan of their latest victim?

Leave a comment:

• Terrance Mulloy
    replied

Originally posted by j over View Post
    Terrance, this would make it less ludicrous though, no?
    What I want to know is - how the fvck does more hits to the site kill the victims faster? What, is the guy's heart hooked up to a modem or something?

Leave a comment:

• j over
    replied

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
    But I can't see this elevating itself above the ludicrous notion - which is also happens to be the hook.

Terrance, this would make it less ludicrous though, no?

Leave a comment:

• Terrance Mulloy
    replied

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
    I thought all hope was lost here until I read this post

What Seh said is exactly how everyone here who is serious about breaking in as a screenwriter should evaluate every single project that gets made.

It doesn't mean you have to enjoy it once you see it, or if it is a hit or failure at the box-office. It doesn't mean you can't have an opinion about it strictly as a fan of movies. You just have to be able to look at it the way Seh did... And I did when I said it is text-book high concept... And learn from it.

This is also why I asked for the script and one of DD''s fine members was kind enough to send it to me. I want to see how the writer executed it before it was rewritten and put into production because they are now a professional screenwriter in every sense of the word...

And isn't that what most of you here want to be?

Here endth the lesson
    I totally understand where you and Seh are coming from - and believe me, I evaluate just about every new thriller idea that I hear about or read script wise. And as you know the scripts are usually better then the films anyway because you're reading it prior to studio interference.

But I don't care how 'high concept" the idea might play itself as - it still seems gimmicky. However, I'll give the writers credit for getting the damn thing sold, which is a lot more then I can boast. And I will go see it. But I can't see this elevating itself above the ludicrous notion - which is also happens to be the hook.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

Must have been nice to have that option... I saw the trailer for this and The Poughkeepsie Tapes before The Mist.

The former was irritating enough, but the latter (a Blair Witch-style serial killer wankfest) was infuriating.

Leave a comment:

• Juno Styles
    replied

i stopped watching the trailer halfway. this seems like an old episode of law and order. specifically the episode where they were tracking down an online pedifile and a couple others.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

Yeah... but it's still just a serial killer movie. Although this one is of the make-things-more-difficult-than-they-need-to-be variety.

Like with zombies and vampires, you really can't go high concept with the subgenres, no matter how much glitter you throw on them.

They still are what they are.

Leave a comment:

• WritersBlock2010
    replied

Originally posted by seh View Post
    It's high concept, has a great hook, and no one will care a wit whether or not it is really possible or plausible. Bravo to the writer for finding the holy grail - high concept thriller that seems somewhat new. Yeah, you can say it's like x or it's like y, but the answer is SAME BUT DIFFERENT, which is what we're looking for. Or at least I am. And on top, can be made for a dollar and a half.

I'll be honest, I'm jealous. I tried to develop a thriller involving a computer, and I just couldn't get past the comparisons to that dated Sandra Bullock movie, The Net. This guy/gal did it.

Way to go.
    I thought all hope was lost here until I read this post

What Seh said is exactly how everyone here who is serious about breaking in as a screenwriter should evaluate every single project that gets made.

It doesn't mean you have to enjoy it once you see it, or if it is a hit or failure at the box-office. It doesn't mean you can't have an opinion about it strictly as a fan of movies. You just have to be able to look at it the way Seh did... And I did when I said it is text-book high concept... And learn from it.

This is also why I asked for the script and one of DD''s fine members was kind enough to send it to me. I want to see how the writer executed it before it was rewritten and put into production because they are now a professional screenwriter in every sense of the word...

And isn't that what most of you here want to be?

Here endth the lesson

Leave a comment:

• seh
    replied

It's high concept, has a great hook, and no one will care a wit whether or not it is really possible or plausible. Bravo to the writer for finding the holy grail - high concept thriller that seems somewhat new. Yeah, you can say it's like x or it's like y, but the answer is SAME BUT DIFFERENT, which is what we're looking for. Or at least I am. And on top, can be made for a dollar and a half.

I'll be honest, I'm jealous. I tried to develop a thriller involving a computer, and I just couldn't get past the comparisons to that dated Sandra Bullock movie, The Net. This guy/gal did it.

Way to go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X