Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transformers 2 Treatment Leaked

I haven't seen this posted, and did a search and came back with nothing, so here you go.

http://tformers.com/Transformers-2-S...8510/news.html

There's a link there to download the story treatment for Transformers 2 written by newcomer to the team, Ehren Kruger.

If like me, your biggest problem with the first movie was the writing (A foregone conclusion, considering where I'm posting this ) Then I think you'll be very excited about this sequel if this is the treatment they keep.

Even in treatment form, it has heart, it has character arcs, it has in depth characterization for the Autobots and Decepticons.

Ehren Kruger could be the right guy for the job after all, I hope this developes into the shooting script.

Oh, and if you're fans of the franchise, I know you'll be grinning at some of the new characters they're bringing in.
    d i r g e

Sorsha: "What are you looking at?"
    Madmartigan: "Your leg... I'd like to break it."

Re: Transformers 2 Treatment Leaked

There is a treatment that was "leaked" earlier this month but turned out to be just a treatment by two aspiring writers who had nothing to do with the actual project. Is this the same one?

Comment

This one was leaked earlier in the month, but it's been revealed by Michael Bay's assistant that it is in fact an early and official treatment, but he also says it will not be used for the shooting script.

But then, he also said that about the early leaked John Rogers script for Transformers 1, and bar the changes made by Kurtzman and Orci in their rewrites, it became the final shooting script.

Another article detailing its legitimacy:

http://tformers.com/Transformers-2-T...8518/news.html

Having followed TF1's production fervantly from day one, I'm willing to put money on this treatment being used, with some future modifications, to develope the shooting script. Don Murphy's overblown reaction on his personal site is a testiment that it's an important leak. He basically went nuts and tons of members at his forum were banned... But then that seems to happen on a weekly basis with him anyway, heh.
      d i r g e

Comment

It's a great treatment. Hopefully, the movie will retain most of it.
        R.K. Bentley
        My Blog, My Design Studio
        "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Comment

You can get the PDF from here without going to Megaupload.com and having to wait for the damn download...
          http://www.iesbvideo.net/pdf/TF2_100207.pdf

Information about the treatment and link on this site here:-
          http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...3445&Itemid=99

Big debate as whether this is a fanboy treament or not..

According to the www.iesb.net page it was submitted as a pitch but will not be used..

Regardless, a lot of fans seem to like the ideas in it..

Treatments are good to read.. Despite the subject matter. There's not enough of them on the net so when one comes along there worth grabbing. Different writing skills completely to pen one of these...

Good find..

Comment

Originally posted by Dirge View Post

If like me, your biggest problem with the first movie was the writing (A foregone conclusion, considering where I'm posting this )...
            I had never seen a movie this devoid of any substance until I saw TFs.

In terms of writing... TFs is the Worst. Movie. Ever.

Even in treatment form, it has heart, it has character arcs, it has in depth characterization for the Autobots and Decepticons.
            I wonder if any of this will remain when Michael "the audience is nothing but a bunch of dumb, horny teenagers" Bay gets his grubby hands on it?
            Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

That thing was a good read. The fact that I could sit and read it all at once was a good sign. I didn't get bored.

The only problem (and this is with the franchise, not the execution of the treatment) is this: Every TF movie is bound to end with a sort of "stalemate, nobody really wins" ending.

Essentially, what we end up with is a TV series with a single two-hour episode every summer. Bleh.

But, I liked reading what the industry considers a "viable treatment". Never can have too many examples of what the suits want.

As you were.

AC
              "I've got vision up the butt, so just go with it!" - Dewey Finn, School of Rock

Comment

I'll state this again- Transformers only required 2 things to be a successful movie.

1) Giant Transforming Robots.

2) They fight.

No plot needed or wanted. Giant transforming robots fighting each other. That's it.

It's not an idea that requires seriious emotional content. tightly controlled character arcs.

Just giant robots. fighting.

and you're fooling yourself if you think it needed to be anything more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by whistlelock View Post
                  I'll state this again- Transformers only required 2 things to be a successful movie.

2) They fight.

No plot needed or wanted. Giant transforming robots fighting each other. That's it.

It's not an idea that requires seriious emotional content. tightly controlled character arcs.

and you're fooling yourself if you think it needed to be anything more than that.
                  I beg to differ. Every concept/idea is worthy of good writing. Giant robots fighting each other gets boring very quickly, at least for me.

I want every project addressing all traits of evocative dramaturgy. I don't care if it's Kane or TF. I want depth, I want to care.
                  "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

2) They fight.

It's not an idea that requires serious emotional content. tightly controlled character arcs.

I have to agree with Mr. Whistles. It's mindless entertainment and I love it. I really wish my SUV was a robot. The sound design was amazing.
                    Never mistake motion for action. ~Ernest Hemingway

Comment

2) They fight.

This warped logic only applies to a completely animated CGI movie (TMNT 2007)... And even Pixar and Disney have proved you still need emotional resonance underneath it all to get people to CARE about those CGI images.

I did not give one rat's ass about anyone is TF.

If I don't care about anyone in a movie how the hell am I supposed to invest (want to see who lives; who dies; who wins; who looses) myself in a movie?

I found more resonance and emotional content in The Simpson's Movie which WAS cell animation for Pete's sake!

Granted, I think a huge problem with TF is that it was written for tweens (8-12) and no one over 18. From the bathroom humor to general overly simplistic portrayal of the characters -- Both human and robot.
                      Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirge View Post
                        Having followed TF1's production fervantly from day one, I'm willing to put money on this treatment being used, with some future modifications, to develope the shooting script. Don Murphy's overblown reaction on his personal site is a testiment that it's an important leak. He basically went nuts and tons of members at his forum were banned... But then that seems to happen on a weekly basis with him anyway, heh.
                        Murphy's a p!ssy guy under the best of circumstances. Don't know why he's so concerned over this leak. He trash-talked the first movie (Bay said his only notes on the script were on how much it sucked), publicly loathed Lorenzo DiBonaventura (called him "Scorpinox") for taking over his role as the "main" producer, and generally complained how he was side-lined from the entire thing.

Makes you wonder why he wanted to be involved with the sequel considering it's the same creative team he loathed.

Oh, right! The first made $700 million globally.

And how much did SHOOT 'EM UP, Murphy's last film, make? Less than $20 million?

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                          I did not give one rat's ass about anyone is TF.
                          Me neither! But what I cared about- Giant Robots. Them fighting. Was there.

You're expecting entirly too much from Bay and from Giant Robots.
                          There isn't room in this movie for a story.

Now, if this were a Pixar film? terrible movie. just terrible.

A Speilberg flick? eh, he's had far better and worse.

A Lucas Film? wow, he got that much right at least.

But Bay? Just right.

Comment

To be honest, I thought the Direction in Transformers was close to spot-on, a couple of moments needed to be more dramatic such as Jazz's death, but overall, Direction really wasn't the problem with the movie, so what gives with the anti-Bay remarks? I know it's supposedly fashionable these days to hate the guy, but give credit where it's due, and same for insults, if you feel you have to give them too.

The problem was the writing. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci screwed the pooch and left us with an emotionless wreck of a smash 'em up movie, practically devoid of heart (I have to admit, the relationship between Sam and Bumblebee almost had it - but not quite).

Looking at the treatment for the sequel, it has the potentiol for lots of emotion... (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Sam's anger towards Prime for not fulfilling his promise, and Prime's guilt over said failure have the potentiol to be real heart wrenchers.

Hot Rod's brash attitude leading to consequences familiar to those of us who remember the '86 animated feature... Could set up for some powerful redemption scenes in the third movie for Hot Rod.

Hell, they've even built on the rivalry between Starscream and Megatron to the point where they face Decepticon civil war.

For Transformers fans, old or newcomers who actually loved the first film, this has the potentiol to be their Empire Strikes Back. I just hope Orci and Kurtzman don't trample over Kruger's treatment too much - they should stick to screwing up Star Trek for now, and leave this script to someone who can do some good for this franchise.
                            d i r g e

Comment

That treatment is legit. There are some good ideas in it but it is structurally flawed.

If it were made in present form it would equate to something like Matrix 3 or a Lord of the Rings 2 - overblown big 'us vs them' battle that is so linear and with so little actual story, that ultimately it bores on repeat viewings, and even intial viewings.

That is a serious flaw.

I mean good gracious, how much of this thing is shot in Vegas? change the scenery up a bit!

And I really think they only scratched the surface of what is possible emotionally. All in all it's messy, messy stuff.

Funnily enough it replicates a lot of the problems of the first film's third act, oh well, suppose they never learn.

Still, giant robots are cool, no denying that.

Comment

Working...
                              X