No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Valkyrie" Trailer

Originally posted by SAC View Post
    Thank you, biglips, for pointing out just how good Cruise has been at various points in his career. It's easy for everyone else to bash Hollywood's top star. And yes, he's had his duds and his misfires. And no, he doesn't have the range of some of his peers. But, he has an excellent body of work taken as a whole. There aren't many actors out there who you can look up on IMDb and see a perfect performance in every film.

As for Valkyrie, can we please just wait until the film comes out? Nobody here would want their screenplays judged upon the trailer alone. So, why judge an actor's performance on such?
    I guess I'm one of those that expects a bit more from someone who is paid the highest amount of money for a role, and yet his characters seem exactly the same as he appears in an interview and to each other. I also know that there are plenty of 'stars', both in acting and other media, that are vastly over-rated and blessed by the gods enough to ride a domino effect of successes that are undeserving compared to their far more talented and hard-working peers. (The music industry is full of similar examples.)

Compare Cruise to Philip Seymour Hoffman, Adrian Brody, David Strathairn, and at least several dozen other examples and you have to wonder. Can you imagine Cruise attempting a role *like* Truman Capote? I mean serious acting. 'Born on the Fourth of July' was the last time I saw Tom really break a sweat and that was 20 years ago. His other successful films either included big stars like Dustin and Jack who kicked ass, and/or they were well written and produced.

Adrian Brody is a perfect example. He played a real life person from another country, in the same war. He also put his heart and soul into that performance and it shows. If you haven't seen that film it's a must.

I realize it's unfair to judge a performance from the trailer, but if the trailer creeps you out it's not a good sign, is it?

This isn't the only forum where Cruise's appearance in this film is raising questions. The rest of the actors in the trailer seem cohesive while Tom sticks out. I'll probably see this film because I love histories and I think McQuarrie can be counted on for a great script. I just hope 'you-know-who' doesn't make me laugh at the wrong moments (and make me want to pull him apart like...)

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
      Or they're dipping into the Botox.

Botox is no one's friend as can make any face into a disturbed/poisoned contortion that is hardly youthful-looking.

It will be interesting to see in the future when/if we can reverse aging we can avoid the pitfalls of such "side effects" such as that.

Comment

Extending the blush of youth unnaturally will probably always have its pricetag... of course, I get that from cutting my teeth on things like Dorian Gray and The Twilight Zone.

Botox (I suspect) is going to end up having a very nasty pricetag. Schadenfreude, maybe... but injecting toxins into the face just seems like a damn fool thing to do.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          but injecting toxins into the face just seems like a damn fool thing to do.

Obviously.

Comment

Working...
          X