No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Hitman"

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
    The costume and set design on Silent Hill were amazing.
    amen to that. two thumbs up. that's what i remember most about the film. the story was kinda whatever.
    One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
      That's because I was highlighting some of the negative feedback. He still gave the movie three out of four stars.
      Ebert hands out positive reviews like a pedophile hands out candy in a schoolyard.

It's impossible to take him seriously anymore.

Comment

I don't know about the video game, but the trailer with the guy going down a hallway, arms outstretched shooting guns from both hands while classical music plays sort of makes me feel I've seen this before.

Coppola first used that opera-music-as-people-get-whacked gimmick last century in the Godfather number whatever.

Then you saw it everywhere, sometimes in slo-mo. Geeze -- originality, please?

I know I'm not the target market for Hitman but I'd think the young geeks who are the golden calf for this genre are tired of the same old, same old.
        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

they should try using country music...seriously, this movie was doomed the minute it got greenlit. i think it would have done just as bad even if Vin Diesel would have been on board as planned.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
            i think Resident Evil 1 & 2 and Silent Hill were probably the best ones. Tomb Raider made a lot of money, but I didn't like it.
            You need to go sit in the corner and think about what you just said. go.

Comment

Postal has some really funny parts... People are going to be surprised when (if?) they ever see it.

Comment

The problem with video game adaptations is they are essentially taking a niche product and trying to make it appeal to the masses. This rarely works.

Not only are video games interactive, but they have no rules like mainstream Hollywood has. They aren't trying to get the masses other than those who play video games, male and female.

One of the best stories out right now for any game in my opinion is "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare".

The single player campaign is basically what if Middle-East Extremists teamed up with Russian Ultra-Nationalists and declared war on the West?

This might sound like a typical (implausible) Hollywood blockbuster... But the way the story unfolds -- You play primarily as an S.A.S. operative and U.S. Marine -- Is the strength of the story because you get to see and experience different points of view relating to the conflict in various parts of the world. Add the fact there are real consequences for the things that happen in the story, that is, no happy endings, and this what I think makes the story compelling and more realistic because the end is one of those things that seems like a surprise, but is the only fitting end to the scenario too...

SPOILERS

A dirty nuke is detonated in the West and it changes the world forever. We enter into a conventional WWIII. The Middle-East is thrown into even more instability and Russia is now our enemy again. The modern world goes to war. West vs. East.

END SPOILER

My point is if someone wanted to do a "War on Terror" movie like all the failures have tried (Rendition; Lions for Lambs) they should look at how COD4 executed its story... Which is the exact same subject matter... And learn a thing or two: Create compelling scenarios with identifiable characters and real stakes and let the chips fall where they may instead of trying to create biased, preachy and just plain boring movies about how "bad" war is. We know war is bad. Just embrace it and entertain us like the game does and you'd be surprised how subtle that message can be conveyed...
                Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                  Not surprisingly, the latest videogame adaptation in "Hitman" is taking quite a beating from most critics (except Roger Ebert, oddly enough). Is anyone actually going to see this film?
                  To be fair, he says that it was better than he thought it was going to be. This happens to me a lot. If I go into a movie I heard was awful with REALLY low expectations, I end up liking it better than if I go into a movie I heard was incredible with high expectations and it doesn't live up to the hype.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                  - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Working...
                  X