Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Tracking Shots in Film

What do you personally think are some of the absolute best tracking shots (for anyone who might need a clear definition, click here) to have ever been produced in movie history thus far?

Here is a top ten list for some ideas.

Re: Best Tracking Shots in Film

the protector fight scene isn't even on that list- suck list.

Comment

The greatest tracking shot of all is not even on the list -- the tracking shot in Godard's WEEKEND. It is not just visually ambitious, but thematically ambitious and organic to the plot.
      Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

In Superman, Clark and Lois leaving the Planet before the BIG Rescue.
        "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Let's not forget the film RUSSIAN ARK. The entire film is one long tracking shot at 96 mins.

Comment

There's a bit in Spielberg's War of the Worlds that I didn't catch the first time I saw it, but blew me away when I watched the DVD... when Cruise and the kids are on the littered highway. Didn't particularly like the film as much the second time around, but that shot was mighty impressive.

The best kind of cinematography: overtly invisible until you start deconstructing the film.
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
              There's a bit in Spielberg's War of the Worlds that I didn't catch the first time I saw it, but blew me away when I watched the DVD... when Cruise and the kids are on the littered highway. Didn't particularly like the film as much the second time around, but that shot was mighty impressive.

The best kind of cinematography: overtly invisible until you start deconstructing the film.
              I like the shot too. It's very clever but a bit of a cheat cause it's full of composite shots.

Comment

Really? Damn... way to shatter my delusions.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

CARLITO'S WAY had a good one. So did THE UNTOUCHABLES.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                    CARLITO'S WAY had a good one. So did THE UNTOUCHABLES.
                    All of DePalma's movies have great tracking shots. The one in CARLITO'S WAY at Grand Central is stellar.

Comment

Weekend does have a fantastic one. I think Children of Men has two of the best. And Touch of Evil's is especially wonderful when you consider how long ago the film was made.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                        Weekend does have a fantastic one. I think Children of Men has two of the best. And Touch of Evil's is especially wonderful when you consider how long ago the film was made.

Ele...
                        Conceptually, the tracking shots in CHILDREN OF MEN are amazing, but they're also cheats with the use of composite shots and CGI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_Men

Comment

Bound for Glory.

The Shining.

lefty

Comment

That list is missing some lesser-known examples. If you ever get the chance, see Sergei Bondarchuk's rendering of WAR AND PEACE (1968). The movie is a bit long, but it displays some of the most elaborate battle sequences ever, with amazing tracking shots. Adjusted for inflation, this is (or was) the most expensive movie ever made.

And that list does not mention RASHOMON, with its innovative shot of a man walking through the forest (years before TOUCH OF EVIL). See if you can figure out how they did it, then hear the commentary on the DVD. This also explains how they used a mirror ripped off from the wardrobe department to throw sunlight where they needed it.
                            "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

I'm very surprised I AM CUBA is not on there. Not only are there amazingly long and beautiful tracking shots, but some defy technical explanation - I still have no clue how some of them were pulled off.

Comment

Working...
                              X