No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Tracking Shots in Film

Originally posted by AnotherWriter View Post
    I remember John Woo's Hard Boiled having a long action tracking shot inside a hospital.
    Yeah, that is an excellent example from a great movie.

Comment

OLD BOY has the ultimate tracking shot (true tracking, i.e. no cranes) during an amazing fight sequence. I believe it was unassisted by CG as well.

Comment

Best Tracking Shots

Two films, (which haven't been mentioned, yet), contain several amazing tracking shots.

Keaton's THE GENERAL has a sequence in which Union spies dump railway ties across the railroad tracks to block the pursuing locomotive, the Texas. While clearing the track, Keaton is scooped up by the cowcatcher, (with a railway tie in his arms), onto the front of the Texas locomotive; and, he heaves this railway tie onto another on the railroad tracks, clearing both of them out of the way.

Ken Annakin's THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN AND THEIR FLYING MACHINES... utilized a couple of cranes for a long tracking shot of Count Emilio Ponticelli's aircraft taking off and crashing. The unwieldy aircraft was raised aloft by wires, but the trick gave the effect of travelling along the side of the runway parallel thruout its brief flight. The DVD provides a "Making Of" featurette which shows how it was accomplished.
        JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Fincher
          But this wily god never discloses even to the skillful questioner the whole content of his wisdom.

Comment

'Citizen Kane' had several good tracking shots as I recall. I will link Roger Ebert's column on this film, since he loved it so and could say what's so good about it better than me http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...401010334/1023
            Hello. Aren't I cute? Write me a poem. About love.

Comment

Alfred Hitchcock's NOTORIOUS

The scene where Ingrid Bergman is passed out drunk on the bed. The camera is from her POV, and she's looking toward the door where CARY GRANT is entering. She's laid out on the bed with her head hanging upside down, so the camera is upside down tracking Cary Grant's introduction into the bedroom. Without a doubt one of the most genius shots in film history.

She sits up as he stands next to the bed and says, "I like you."
              sigpic

Comment

Watch the shot in this montage(4th shot in the montage):
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Cbr...eature=related
                sigpic

Comment

New film ATONEMENT has an amazing tracking shot through the hell of war. The shot begins... and keeps going... and probably about 7 minutes in I couldn't believe it was still going. There are 3 soldiers, and it breaks off and follows each for a while, when they cross paths it goes on with the other, until all 3 soldiers are walking together again. A million things are happening in this shot - we see the chaos of war.

Though Joe didn't like this film, I thought it was great up until the end, where it just screws the audience big time.

Things I liked about it:
                  1) They use the typewriter as a musical instrument in the score... and it's fantastic. Never thought a typewriter could make music. A scene on the tube with the "typewriter music" is fantastic.
                  2) The film plays with form - a couple of times the same scene is shown from different POVs and it has a completely different meaning. The film also bounces around in time - four years later, six months earlier. And they also bounce between characters - jumping back in time to show what this person was doing while that other person was on screen.

I hated the end.

But that tracking shot is up there with CHILDREN OF MEN... and kind of reminded me of a much more complicated TOUCH OF EVIL.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                    New film ATONEMENT has an amazing tracking shot through the hell of war. The shot begins... and keeps going... and probably about 7 minutes in I couldn't believe it was still going. There are 3 soldiers, and it breaks off and follows each for a while, when they cross paths it goes on with the other, until all 3 soldiers are walking together again. A million things are happening in this shot - we see the chaos of war.

- Bill
                    Already mentioned above Bill. I guess a symptom of old age is the inability to read entire threads, eh?

I kid, I kid, The Martell!
                    Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Originally posted by The White Album View Post
                      I just saw ATONEMENT. Not only one of the best films of the year, but features an amazing tracking shot.
                      that shot seems like the main reason film was made in first place
                      really incredible

and the ending was actually the only thing I liked in the movie
                      thank god they ended like they did

Comment

Originally posted by The White Album View Post
                        I guess a symptom of old age is the inability to read entire threads, eh?
                        Well, probably more experience than old age... but maybe that's the same thing.

Khabs - can't believe you *liked* that ending - it pulled me out of the story so hard and so fast that I was like a fish gasping on the floor after the fishbowl broke. I never recovered from that moment. The guys I went with - a stageplay director and an award winning cinematographer - had the same reaction.

But, maybe I'm just old.

- Bill
                        Free Script Tips:
                        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

There are other impressive tracking shots that are less ambitious in scope and difficulty, but beautiful in its simplicity -- like the opening shot of BIRTH or the final shot of THE 400 BLOWS.
                          Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                            Well, probably more experience than old age... but maybe that's the same thing.

Khabs - can't believe you *liked* that ending - it pulled me out of the story so hard and so fast that I was like a fish gasping on the floor after the fishbowl broke. I never recovered from that moment. The guys I went with - a stageplay director and an award winning cinematographer - had the same reaction.

But, maybe I'm just old.

- Bill
                            dude, you're old because you liked everything prior to that ending

I distribute Atonement and I doubt I'll make money on it with today's audience, simply because of the story that drags from here to eternity
                            I liked multiple POVs, the beach shot, but other than that, the movie doesn't offer all that much

first ending would then be just that, a money shot
                            but the second ending actually rewarded me for staying awake. There aren't always happy endings, that's the Atonement, everyone suffered

some may prefer those two living in the beach house for the rest of their lives and I prefer the ending as it was
                            ...but that's me

Comment

Working...
                            X