Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 5mins of AVP:R

First Five Minutes of AVP:R with what I can assume is a temp track since Horner, Goldsmith and Silverstri in there....and looks like most of the eastablished canon has been tossed out the window....
    R.K. Bentley
    My Blog, My Design Studio
    "Little hand says it's time to rock an' roll." - Hot Fuzz.

Re: First 5mins of AVP:R

utterly awful in almost every way.

Comment

Actually I enjoyed it.

I mean, really, what do you expect from an AVP film?
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Thanks for the link, RK.

My hand kept searching for the popcorn. I'd have happily watched more, I liked AVP lots and I'll probably like this too.

I'm guessing the sequence was compressed for the trailer, that the actual film doesn't feel so rushed?

-Derek

Nobody knows nothing, and I'm nobody.

Comment

Hmm, not bad.

Not awesome, but should keep me suitably entertained for a couple of hours, which is the best I can hope for from something like this.

Face Huggers will always creep me out. As an arachnaphobe, the creature designs for them hit that same nerve a lot better than most cgi / animatronic actual spiders manage to do for me on screen.
          d i r g e

Sorsha: "What are you looking at?"
          Madmartigan: "Your leg... I'd like to break it."

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
            Actually I enjoyed it.

I mean, really, what do you expect from an AVP film?
            I expect better. I expect better stories, better directing and better special effects. And what we're getting is ignorance of alien canon that's been in place since the 70's and horrible CGI.

And, judging from some of the messages from other boards, most people haven't seen seen the original movies and are judging this entire franchise on the AVP from 2004.

Granted, I'm a nitpicker, I've watched alien, aliens and predator a lot as a kid, read all the comic books from dark horse comics and after seeing Alien 3+4 and AVP in the theater I'm constantly let down. It's like the spark from the previous movies just died.

It's the Star Wars Prequels all over again.

The franchises themselves are still ripe for picking stories to show, the problem seems to be getting the stories away from the ##$Tin' Earth and back out into space where it belongs or at least give us an interesting, rated R story to watch for 2hrs.

Overall, I'm not expecting much...
            R.K. Bentley

Comment

exactly.

the aliens and predators are two of the most (if not THE most) innovative sci-fi villains of ALL TIME.

and this looks like a sci-fi channel original with twice the budget, but the same sh!tty directing, the same sh!tty acting, and the same sh!tty writing...

i hope it bombs. i hope the series is left alone for a decade or two until the stink of these latest atrocities has wafted away and then -- someone hopefully more capable can try again.

Comment

The Alien storyline was really about the human race coming into contact with an alien species to see if it could be experimented with and used for some purpose like a weapon. The most evil characters weren't the aliens, they were the humans (or artificial humans) that betrayed their fellow humans by working for Weyland-Yutani, who is in fact bought by Wal-Mart in Alien Resurrection.

So the AVP franchise really should be called AVPVW-M as in Alien vs Predator vs Wal-Mart. But the AVP creators ****ed it up by abandoning the human storyline and are rudderless without a Ripleyesque hero to save humanity from the clutches of Wal-Mart.

Comment

ROS, agree with you about the rudderless storyline for the humans.

As for the walmart stuff, personally I'm writing A3/A4 as bad hagis and labeling anything after A2 as "company rumors".
                  R.K. Bentley

Comment

Originally posted by Arroway View Post
                    i hope it bombs. i hope the series is left alone for a decade or two until the stink of these latest atrocities has wafted away and then -- someone hopefully more capable can try again.

To me, any film that puts two unrelated but popular movie baddies against each other in a WWF-like smackdown is sheer trash from the start.

It's a business/box office-ploy, plain and simple. Both franchises ceased to be quite a a period of time ago and this is their idea of trying to hit two birds with one stone and revive them. It reeks of no artistic or narrative purpose. Plus, it's just so damn campy.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
                      To me, any film that puts two unrelated but popular movie baddies against each other in a WWF-like smackdown is sheer trash from the start.

It's a business/box office-ploy, plain and simple. Both franchises ceased to be quite a a period of time ago and this is their idea of trying to hit two birds with one stone and revive them. It reeks of no artistic or narrative purpose. Plus, it's just so damn campy.
                      So, you won't be going to see it?

Comment

It could work: imagine Aliens with the Predators thrown into the mix. But it would have to have at least some interesting human characters like Ripley, Vasquez, Hicks, Hudson, Bishop, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post

Actually, the AVP Comics from Dark Horse were pretty good and probably still the best of the entire line. A deluxe hard cover came out and the reprints are nice.

The movie got the mythology from the comics right: Predators captured Queen, she lays the eggs, they deposit the eggs on foreign world, eggs hatch, infest local populace, alien drones mature, Predator newbies hunt Aliens as rite of passage.

That in and above itself is worth the price of admission.

The problems of location, bad suits (mandables too big, gah!), PG-13 rating, not linking it to the existing Predator Universe, ignoring the aliens canon (your chest bursters in 15mins or your order is free!!!) and the stupidest of human plots just sunk the movie as a whole.
                          R.K. Bentley

Comment

Originally posted by RKBentley View Post
                            I expect better. I expect better stories, better directing and better special effects. And what we're getting is ignorance of alien canon that's been in place since the 70's and horrible CGI.

And, judging from some of the messages from other boards, most people haven't seen seen the original movies and are judging this entire franchise on the AVP from 2004.

Granted, I'm a nitpicker, I've watched alien, aliens and predator a lot as a kid, read all the comic books from dark horse comics and after seeing Alien 3+4 and AVP in the theater I'm constantly let down. It's like the spark from the previous movies just died.

It's the Star Wars Prequels all over again.

The franchises themselves are still ripe for picking stories to show, the problem seems to be getting the stories away from the ##$Tin' Earth and back out into space where it belongs or at least give us an interesting, rated R story to watch for 2hrs.

Overall, I'm not expecting much...
                            I do agree with you in some respects. I mean, we all hold onto those dear memories of Alien, Aliens and Predator when we were a kid - Heck, its one of the main reasons I love movies and became a writer. But ya also gotta let go of the past, and just enjoy them for what they are. You've also got to realize that they will NEVER be able to make another film like the originals. The same goes for the Terminator franchise.

I've been reading AVP comics since they first came out from Dark Horse in the early 90's, and I've noted tons of stories that would have made an awesome film. That's why I got very excited when rumors started floating around about Ridley Scott looking at doing Aliens: Earth Hive. But it fizzled and from what I hear there is a draft out there somewhere. But you know, these films are what they are. It would be nice to see them get elevated above the typical blockbuster CGI overload, and back to what they originally were, but back then they were blockbusters too, and today's a different climate then the 80's.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if you accept that these films will never be as good as what's been done before - then you may actually start to enjoy these new films for what they are...

Two hours of popcorn and a few laughs. And you can't realistically expect anything more then that, especially with films like these.
                            Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 12-13-2007, 05:58 PM.
                            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                            X