Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Ruins" Teaser Trailer

Click here to check out DreamWorks Pictures and Spyglass Entertainment's "The Ruins", based on the novel by Scott Smith, starring Jonathan Tucker, Laura Ramsey, Jena Malone and Shawn Ashmore. The film opens April 4, 2008.

Re: "The Ruins" Teaser Trailer

Wh-aaa...?
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Well, that teaser should be effective for fans of squishy sound effects.

Ele...

Comment

While I thought that Smith's "A Simple Plan" was a pretty good read, I couldn't get more than a hundred pages into "The Ruins"... the prose was as impenetrable as the jungle he was describing. Almost no dialogue, he just described what the characters were doing.

Page after page after page of description...

Hat off to the scripter for pulling a screenplay out of it. Of course, whether they did a good job of it comes when the flick hits the screen.

But so far it looks promising. And now I'm glad I didn't finish the book, because... well, it'll be fresh.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
          Hat off to the scripter for pulling a screenplay out of it. Of course, whether they did a good job of it comes when the flick hits the screen.

But so far it looks promising. And now I'm glad I didn't finish the book, because... well, it'll be fresh.

The scripter is Scott Smith so seeing as how you weren't a fan of the novel I'm not sure how well you'll do with the film.

As far as the book is concerned, I stopped reading with a hundred or so pages left to go because of what the big bad in the ruins is revealed to be (even though it should appear obvious already from the teaser alone, I won't spoil it here for anyone else).

Needless to say, it's extremely disappointing (and in some ways unintentionally-funny) and I don't see how they could improve it very much on celluloid.

Comment

Originally posted by j over View Post
            The scripter is Scott Smith so seeing as how you weren't a fan of the novel I'm not sure how well you'll do with the film.
            Huh... didn't know that. Turns out the guy is WGA. "The Ruins" sure as hell didn't read like something that he might have thought might be a screenplay later.

And you know, I must have read a whole lot less than a hundred pages... they hadn't reached the ruins yet when I gave up. But he was clever enough with "A Simple Plan", so...
            "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
              But he was clever enough with "A Simple Plan", so...

I don't know how you'll find what happens at all "clever" but to each his/her own, quite obviously.

Comment

Loved A Simple Plan (book and film), and The Ruins was a good read, also. The movie's quality will depend on the director, I believe.

Comment

I thought the novel was very successful at creating a sense of dread, almost from page one, which it maintained thoroughout the book.

It wasn't my favorite read, but I have to say when I realized what the "monster" was I was concerned it would get silly or be a one note song, but the author was very effective in complicating things and adding some cool reveals.

Comment

Guess I'm the only one here who was instantly reminded of "Mario Bros." when it became all-too-clear what the antag was and found it disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                    X