Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diablo Cody--Super Genius.

We need just one more Diablo Cody thread before the New Year, dontcha think?

Actually, Diablo Cody really is a genius, and I can prove it; she drops references to Sonic Youth AND The Stooges in ONE script. If that doesn't prove her brilliance, I don't know what could.

Honestly, though, I've figured out why she's going to continue to be successful--it's not that she's brilliant, she isn't. It's because she's really good at delivering "The Same but Different." It's stuff we've already seen but with a slightly different take and voice, it feels new but it doesn't ever go off the reservation.

I mean, heck, I read Jennifer's Body and could you really have a more cliche', trite, concept than a rock band in league with Satan? Could you? If you tried?

I did however really like the whole Goth thing and the throwaway image of the Goth chick wearing an accordian for no reason made me laugh out loud.

Re: Diablo Cody--Super Genius.

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
    I did however really like the whole Goth thing and the throwaway image of the Goth chick wearing an accordian for no reason made me laugh out loud.
    Did someone spin around as they handed it to her? That way they coulda called it The Whirled Accordion to Goth...
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I mean, heck, I read Jennifer's Body and could you really have a more cliche', trite, concept than a rock band in league with Satan? Could you? If you tried?
      Is that what the script is really about? Ho-ly SH!T. Many thanks, SB, as you just saved me from having to waste my time reading it....

Comment

Isn't that the plot of Black Roses?

Comment

Yeah, but it has Megan Fox attached... I suppose as Jennifer's body.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Jennifer's Body is a very ordinary script. Not in the same class as Juno. After reading JB I had to wonder whether it was an earlier script she sold off the back of Juno. It certainly appears a more amateur effort.

Comment

If Jennifer's Body is indeed that "ordinary" than the backlash is going to happen even sooner than I figured.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                Is that what the script is really about? Ho-ly SH!T. Many thanks, SB, as you just saved me from having to waste my time reading it....
                Well, that's not what it's "about". The band is a sidebar to the main story about the cheerleader and her best friend. Still, I don't know how many times I've heard the phrase "a rock band makes a deal with the devil..." in connection with a lame movie idea.

And yet...it has a lot of funny stuff in it, as well as a whole subtext (not all that "sub") about the love hate relationships young girls have with each other.

Comment

Well, that's not what it's "about". The band is a sidebar to the main story about the cheerleader and her best friend. Still, I don't know how many times I've heard the phrase "a rock band makes a deal with the devil..." in connection with a lame movie idea.

And yet...it has a lot of funny stuff in it, as well as a whole subtext (not all that "sub") about the love hate relationships young girls have with each other.
                  Still sounds a little "eh," but maybe I'll give it a read.

Comment

On the other hand...

Sure, it's an overplayed concept. But has anyone actually done a good job with the hook? I sort of liked Trick or Treat, with Skippy from Family Ties and a decent soundtrack by Fastway, but all the others were pretty weak.

Now, if someone were to option George RR Martin's "The Armageddon Rag" or Skipp and Spector's "The Scream"... oh, yeah. That would rock.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                    X