No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Cloverfield"

Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post
    I wonder what the Writers thought about the 9/11 references?

What did you peeps think about using or avoiding the 9/11 images?

I can see someone thinking: "This is really going to touch people deep inside, because it will bring back memories of 9/11 imagery."

I can also see a writer saying: "You know what? 9/11 is just something too painful and too real to be using for fictional dramatic effect. I'm not re-opening those wounds."
    You know... it took the Japanese nine years before they got around to using Godzilla as a metaphor for the horror laid down on them.

I think that we can cowboy up and do the same in a few years less of time. Disregarding that the two events are in no way, shape or form comparable.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I guess it didn't occur to me to think of it that way, as using the 9/11 imagery as katharsis. Yeah, but that's another perspective on it: avoid it, exploit it, or use it to heal ...

And yet, the healing touch of bowling the Statue of Liberty down the street? I dunno ...
      sigpic
      "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
      that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Well, if the creature is the ultimate illegal alien, that just shows a full on disregard for what Lady Liberty represents...

*joke*

My YouTube channel.

Comment

'Give me your tired, your poor,
          Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
          The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
          Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me ...

... And I'll feed 'em all
          to the parasite monsters droppin' off my belly! '
          sigpic
          "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
          -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

"Several shots of billowing smoke clouds are unmistakable evocations of 9/11, and indeed one of the movie's working titles was "1/18/08".... So explicit are the 9/11 references in "Cloverfield" that the monster is seen knocking over skyscrapers, and one high-rise is seen leaning against another."

From Mr Roger Eghead, I mean Ebert

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...EWS/801170302/

He raises a valid point a lot of us haven't touched on. If the area was nuked, and for arguments sake, Rob and his girl were toasted, then how did the cam survive the blast?

Maybe we'll find out in the sequel?
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I think it's self evident that the explosion wasn't nuclear, if a EMP would have erased the tape.

And Manhattan is too prime of real estate to nuke. For any reason.

For that matter, everyone is assuming that Rob and Beth are toast. Just because the taping ending doesn't mean that so did they...

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Well, this movie certainly succeeded at one thing. It got people talking about it. This thread is proof of that!

Comment

People talk about PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE.
                  sigpic
                  -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rasa View Post
                    People talk about PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE.
                    That's something in itself, innit?

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                      That's something in itself, innit?
                      Well, if they talk about it and they're all wearing angora sweaters ... it's not just something, it's heavenly!

http://content.answers.com/main/cont...0px-Glenda.jpg
                      sigpic
                      -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

More potential sequel talk.

Comment

I like how they said "future films".

Nevermind one. We're going to have a whole franchise of those pesky little monsters popping up all over the US.

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
                            I like how they said "future films".

Nevermind one. We're going to have a whole franchise of those pesky little monsters popping up all over the US.

Business-wise (and, of course, this is all unfortunately first and foremost a business) it of course makes sense but I just am getting so beyond tired of every other at-all-successful film having to become a franchise and develop into sequel upon sequel. Why can't one just have one single succesful movie and leave it at that while you are still more or less ahead? Keep them wanting more and just move on. Many stories don't even need more entries after the first.

It's one of the sadder aspects of Hollywood.

Comment

I haven't seen the movie yet (out here on Friday), so I don't know how much military action was in it, but if they WERE going to do a sequel, it might be interesting to do the film from the POV of a military figure, maybe during the monster's outbreak in NYC and show how the forces planned to combat it.

Maybe this way they could also give some backstory on where the monster came from in the first place. Bring in some scientist or somebody from the numerous "companies" associated with Cloverfield.

Comment

For anyone who didn't read it before, click here for a major spoiler about what the monster really is.

Comment

Working...
                                X