No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies you've seen recently

just caught sweeney todd.

i thought it was pretty clever, and definitely very unique, but this is the first time i felt johnny depp wasn't good for the role. his voice was pretty weak, and i just kept thinking edward scissorhands the entire time.

rented rescue dawn a couple weeks ago too.

a very taut, smooth action/drama.christian bale was perfect for the lead.

Re: Movies you've seen recently

It's a few years old now, and picked it up in the bargain bin, but saw Runaway Jury last night and thought it was a brilliant film. Was very interesting seeing the characters motives unfold - I figured Cusack and Weisz were just con men looking to make some money, the reveal at the end was nice.
    d i r g e

Sorsha: "What are you looking at?"
    Madmartigan: "Your leg... I'd like to break it."

Comment

I recently bought For Your Consideration, having enjoyed A Mighty Wind and Spinal Tap. Although I loved the cast, the humour just didn't work for me, as well as it did in, say, A Mighty Wind. So, it was a little disappointing.
      However, Fred Willard was fantastic as always, and Harry Shearer and Catherine O'Hara where the best of the rest.

Comment

Saw "2 Days in Paris" last night and thought it was really funny. I wasn't expecting much and I watched with a university audience filled with Francophiles; I'm sure that all helped.

Comment

Finally saw "No Country for Man", by the Coens.

SPOILER ALERT

I really liked the movie, but was quite disappointed in the ending.

To me, it didn't follow the tone of the rest of the movie, and the fact that they chose to close on the supporting character of the "sheriff", was odd.

I would have preferred that they close on Antone, after the car accident. Would have been a much stronger ending.

But then again, they are the Coen's, and I am just me, so wtf do I know.
          il faut d'abord durer

Comment

I grabbed Blade Runner's Final Cut a few days ago. Watched it yesterday. Still leaves a pang. Not really sure why, but I love the film so much. This version has been enhanced so the visuals are so much more richer and colorful. Plus there's a crap load of extras.

Also grabbed Wall Street out of a bargin bin as well. Snagged it for $6.00.

Greed is good.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

TM, did you grab the 5-disc briefcase version of Blade Runner? I picked it up last week or so, and it has just totally blown me away. There's so much material packed in, five versions of the film, and so many extras.
              12IronMonkeys
              Regular
              Last edited by 12IronMonkeys; 01-13-2008, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 12IronMonkeys View Post
                TM, did you grab the 5-disc briefcase version of Blade Runner? I picked it up last week or so, and it's just totally blown me away. There's so much material packed in, five versions of the film, and so many extras.
                Indeed I did.

T'was the only one to grab, my primate friend. I love the fact that it's in a briefcase. Looks awesome on my bookshelf.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

"The Golden Compass" (good), "No Country for Old Men" (really good except for the ending), "Hitman" (eh, an okay romp, not quite a fun romp), and this direct to DVD movie called "Solstice" that I liked a lot. It hasn't gotten great reviews but if you look on imdb at the voting breakdown, females score it a lot higher than males. Actually 25% of all voters gave it a 10. Anyway, I really liked it, but don't blame me if you watch it and don't like it. You've been warned.

I've got "3:10 to Yuma" and "The Kingdom" to watch next.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                  - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Originally posted by velysai View Post
                    I've got "3:10 to Yuma" and "The Kingdom" to watch next.
                    Both are excellent.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Last night I saw 'Charlie Wilson's War'.

Always a joy to watch Philip Seymour Hoffman. And I thought the dialogue was very snappy for so many 'office' scenes. It ended a bit abruptly, but didn't bother me. I'd recommend it. (How accurate it is is another question.) I especially liked Ken Stott's performance.

Here's a nice clip with Aaron Sorkin and others, talking about the film:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h-3IZnB9HiY

You know you've reached rock bottom when you're told you have character flaws by a man who hanged his predecessor in a military coup.

I've also recently watched 'Paris Is Burning' (fascinating), 'Fido' (very cute), and 'Niagara' (a classic).
                      Last edited by suzeaa; 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I watched "A Face in the Crowd" from TCM on-demand... It's a movie I had always meant to see and never got around to it before...Great movie, awesome to see Andy Griffith as a slimy morally bankrupt redneck.

Comment

Just saw "Atonement" and was hugely disappointed. Thought the performances were great -- apart from Vanessa Redgrave, who gave what was to me, a dispassionate performance in a crucial scene (well, either that or the character was meant to be more or less a sociopath, which I could accept as a valid interpretation) -- but the movie as a whole was too melodramatic for my taste, and I felt like time and focus were overspent on some parts and cheated in others. Plus, there was lot of artistic stuff on the production side that I found served more to draw attention to itself than it to improve the film. I will say, though, that part of my negative reaction was due to dashed expectations: if there hadn't been so much enthusiastic critical praise for it, I think I would have just thought it was kind of uneven and unsuccessful, rather than coming out feeling sort of resentful.

Other recent films:

"Charlie Wilson's War," which I enjoyed very much, but which I ultimately felt was lacking in dramatic tension, stakes, suspense, etc. I never felt any doubt that Wilson would succeed, or that any of the obstacles presented would really even slow him down much. I think the movie would have been greatly improved if the last ten minutes had been flushed out into a real third act.

"Enchanted." Lots of fun. I was expecting a little more bite, but Amy Adams was absolutely stupendous. Thought Dempsey's character was underdeveloped, though, and for some reason he looked just awful -- tired and stressed and maybe even sick. Also, I think it's weird to cast a Tony winner (Idina Menzel) in a musical and then not have her sing. But I loves me some goofy James Marsden.

"Juno." Really liked it. Loved the characterizan, but I found it more a dramedy with a few very funny moments than a true subversive comedy. For me, the main success of the comedy in it was not as laugh-out-loud brilliance, but as the dash of tartness that allowed the film to be geniunely sweet without getting into saccharine territory.

"No Country for Old Men." Loved it. Not at all bothered by the ending. Couldn't really explain to you why I wasn't bothered, except to say that it resonated with me on the plane of theme, and so the "unsatisfying ending" seemed to me to fit the piece perfectly. I was completely immersed in the world from beginning to end.

"I am Legend." Thought Smith's performance was fantastic. Not familiar with the source material, so I don't really know how the resolution was changed, though I did find the ending to be a bit abrupt and a bit pat. But then, I went in expecting a vampire/sci-fi tale and not Oscar fodder, so I was probably more forgiving than many people. I had some issues with the coincidence of one of the few immune people on the planet being a brilliant doctor familiar with the project, but it's kind of the basis of the whole shebang, so I can't imagine what could have been done differently on that front.

Also, just rewatched "10 Things I Hate About You" on cable and was struck anew that, as both a teen romcom and a Shakespearen remake, it succeeds better than most attempts in its field.
                          The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter -- it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning. - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X