No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great uses of songs in film. . .

Hey Gang,

Just sitting here watching Stranger Than Fiction on the tube, and musing about the fantastic use of the song Whole Wide World. Ferrel's character is singing the song and playing a guitar. He notices Maggie Gyllenhal's character staring longingly at him, so he stops singing right before the chorus. She grabs him, kisses him, and then the real song kicks in. It's awesome.

Another one is the use of All These Things That I've Done by The Killers in the film The Matador. Totally priceless.

Anyone else have any favorite examples??

(btw - I'm having a weird suspicion that I may have posted this same post at sometime in the distant past, so please forgive if that's the case)
    "I've got vision up the butt, so just go with it!" - Dewey Finn, School of Rock

Re: Great uses of songs in film. . .

The use of the Pixies' "Where Is My Mind?" in Fight Club gave me chills.

Same with Roky Erickson's "Burn the Flame" in Return of the Living Dead.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

The use of The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away," in Rushmore is excellent. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yly2UDQp6fc

I also enjoy the Stranger Than Fiction scene you mentioned.

George Baker Selection's "Little Green Bag," from Reservoir Dogs, just so cool.

Oh, and Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now," in Shaun Of The Head. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E8RugptCUE Hilarious.

Comment

Massive Attack's "Angel" which was used in Guy Ritchie's SNATCH. Was a perfect fit for Brad Pitt's character when he discovered his mother was burning to death inside a trailer.
        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

"Anybody want to request a favorite?"

At a nightclub, in IKIRU, Kanji Watanabe asks the pianist to play "Life is brief," (or, "Gondola no Uta"); but, when he sings the old love song, with tearful sadness, it horrifies the club's lively patrons with its grim reminder of life's, (and love's), mortality.
          JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Well, a pretty obvious one, but I thought Gary Jules cover of Mad World was used well in Donnie Darko.

Comment

oh wow, I LOVED that cover of Mad World too! I loved the use of "The Only Living Boy in New York" in Garden State.

Also, KD Lang's cover of "Helpless" in the last scene in AWAY FROM HER.

There are just so many examples, I have to stop there, I could go on all day.

Julie Gray

Comment

The second movement of Eric Clapton's "Layla" in Goodfellas was one of the best uses of music in a film... ever.

And it's not just that it's a masterful piece of music. It came at the right time as well. There was so much going on before the song and montage took over. When it came on it gave the audience much needed time to reflect on everything prior.
                "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by La Femme Joyeuse View Post
                  oh wow, I LOVED that cover of Mad World too! I loved the use of "The Only Living Boy in New York" in Garden State.

Also, KD Lang's cover of "Helpless" in the last scene in AWAY FROM HER.

There are just so many examples, I have to stop there, I could go on all day.
                  Yes. I bought Gary's CD because of that song.

The first one that popped into my mind was 'Born to be Wild', in EASY RIDER.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tDKAQ2AkIZk

Unfortunately, insanely over used since then.
                  Last edited by suzeaa; 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I just happened to see Art Garfunkel in concert Sunday night and he sang a bunch of his old songs. The Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack in the Graduate is still one of the best in any movie.

Comment

Court of the Crimson King in Children of Men is epic. That gave me chills.

"Everybody Wants Some" in Better off Dead pretty much changed my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                        I just happened to see Art Garfunkel in concert Sunday night and he sang a bunch of his old songs. The Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack in the Graduate is still one of the best in any movie.
                        Yes. Excellent example. Everything in that film came together so beautifully.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FL6HK1YP9pQ

The trivia surrounding 'The Graduate' is pretty interesting, too:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061722/trivia

Comment

Side story and old memory:

Some years ago I nearly killed Art Garfunkel on Third Avenue in Manhattan. True story.

Comment

My wife was Art's personal assistant for a couple years.

True.
                            Last edited by Goon Squad; 01-15-2008, 10:46 AM. Reason: 2 is not "many" - it's a couple

Comment

Originally posted by Goon Squad View Post

"Everybody Wants Some" in Better off Dead pretty much changed my life.
                              The very first time I ever laughed until I cried as a kid.
                              Goonies never say die!

Comment

Working...
                              X