Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once

Another little gem, a la SUNSHINE, that I've had the good fortune of finding on DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0907657/

Sweet if rather inconsequential little love story, but some really great music and fine singing / acting by the leads. Definitely worth a look.

Nickels worth of free advice, though: have the subtitles ready to go.

Re: Once

I liked it. Strangely cathartic considering the ending.

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
      I liked it. Strangely cathartic considering the ending.
      Indeed. We all know what kind of ending a big studio remake would have....

I debated whether or not I liked the way it wrapped up, kinda bouncing between "yes, no, kinda."

**SPOILERS**

But ultimately I appreciated the fact it was a love story between two people who didn't necessarily need each other in the standard romantic sense and, therefore, they really had no need to live happily ever after with one another.

It was more about finding a kindred spirit for a brief moment in time with each helping the other start down on the path they were meant for.

Comment

It ended the only way it could! It was beautiful.

I anxiously await the sequel. Once: More with Feeling!

Comment

Bach Bach Bach!
          "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

Re: Once -- WOW!

Wow, just saw this and it blew me away. One of the best of 2007. I'm not big on musicals, because I often find them pretentious. But ONCE is anything but. I highly recommend it.

Comment

I just added it to my queue.

And with one more click, I can...

Okay, now it's at the top.

It better be good!
              "Tone is now engaged in a furious Google search for Leighton Meester's keester." -- A friend of mine

Comment

I just saw this the other day & was underwhelmed.

I like musicals, acoustic/folk & Irish music, so that wasn't it.

The story just never grabbed me. The leads had near zero charisma, songs were kinda repetitive & grating. I was bored almost from the begining

Didn't mind the ending tho. I'm a 'don't have to have a happy ending' kinda gal. Just wished the movie itself was more engaging.

One thing I really did like was the guerilla style of shooting this. It looked like they just picked up a camera & followed the actors/musicians around on the streets. Nice spontaneous feel.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

I loved this, Mac. Great recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphy W View Post
                    I loved this, Mac. Great recommendation.
                    Awesome! So glad you liked it, Ralphy!

Comment

Definitely it's own film, not falling to any of the usual trappings of this type of story. I'd recommend it to any singer/songwriters out there. I know I enjoyed it. Very subtly themed.
                      "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars... The rest I just squandered."
                      George Best

Comment

Well, the director admitted it wasn't a technically perfect movie based on the commentary portion of the CD. It was short, only 62 pages with a ton of scenes cut out from the supposedly shooting script. The director on a couple of occasions was just carrying, or maybe it was the camerman, the camera as he was walking backwards. It was also shot in 17 days.

What was important to him, Carney that is, was the mood and tone of the movie. What was interesting to our film discussion group was that we can't identify the typical plot points, midpoint, etc. (If anyone thinks they can identify these elements, we would love to hear your insights.) And sure enough, Carney admitted he wasn't concerned about the typical, correct structure of a typical screenplay ... he just wanted to tell a story (paraphrasing him if not the direct quote).

I liked it but not as much as the critics.

Comment

I thought the plot points were pretty clear.

Act 1 turns when Guy accepts Girl's challenge to record a demo.

Midpoint: Is when they secure the loan. It's at this point when there is no turning back for Guy. He's essentially locked into this goal of recording the demo and going off to sell it.

Act 2 ends with the low point of Girl essentially pulling out of the relationship. This leaves Guy in a precarious position. The goal of going off to London and trying to sell the demo was always easier for him because of Girl's support. She was his emotional crutch that kept him moving forward toward the goal. He clearly assumed she was going to be a part of this all the way through, and at that point he find out he's alone.

Act 3 is Guy making the decision to go ahead anyway and complete the goal. His decision to go on to London and do what he originally set out to do back at the turn of Act one is the conclusion. It's the point where he overcomes his inner dilemmas (fear of failure) and goes ahead the plan to head off to London.

Comment

Awesome, thanks. This gives us other viewpoints to discuss.

Comment

Working...
                            X