• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Look: Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/...-the-wrestler/
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: First Look: Mickey Rourke in The Wrestler

I wonder if Randy Robinson is a face? Or a heel?

Wasn't Nick Cage attached at one point? Or is that a different project?

I feel the world of professional wrestling is ripe for a really good behind-the-scenes movie, IMO. I don't know if this will be that film, but I've been tempted to write one for a very long time.

There is so much that goes on in that world from the business side to the talent side to the logistics of the house shows and PPVs. Not just the negative stuff like drug and steroid abuse that makes the front page as with Chris Benoit. I am talking about the professional wrestling industry as a subculture that has its own lore, customs and melodramas most of the public will never hear about, I.E. Who really killed WCW? The Bret Hart/Montreal Screw Job, etc.

Everyone knows the matches are predetermined; that is who wins and loses. What is not fake is the athleticism the athletes have to display to entertain the thousands of fans in attendance... And this is where I feel a movie like this -- if done well -- could be very compelling and be about very real emotions and struggles of the men and women behind the shows and what it takes to get to the top and stay there.
    Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

I think Rourke is going to be a face in this.

Beyond The Mat is a great wrestling documentary. If you're a wrestling fan and you haven't seen it, shame on you!

And, the Montreal Screwjob was a work.
      Last edited by doubler83; 02-09-2008, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I read the thread title as "Mickey Rooney in The Wrestler"... which would be interesting.
        "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
        X