Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Bruges

Has anyone seen "In Bruges"? The commercials make it look funny. Roeper and whoever liked it.

Last night in San Pedro

Re: In Bruges

I saw a screening a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. First I have to admit that I saw a trailer at Christmas time while going to see "There Will Be Blood" and my first thought was "There's a movie about Brugges?" I happen to love Belgium and lived there once so as you can imagine I was intrigued.

Back to the film, for my taste it was very funny, very dark and went places that I wasn't expecting.

The writer spoke after and he was great. Quick witted, intelligent, everything we want writers to represent us as in the public.

I would recommend it. The acting and writing are both top notch. And if you've ever been to Brugges you'll love it. If you've never been to Brugges you'll want to go - but only for the day.

Comment

Yeah, this was really good.

My wife and I both came out of this with the same thought: Colin Farrell can act! He's extremely funny in it.

Comment

This film is utterly pointless. Continues the whole "hitmen are cool" post-Tarantino crap craze which I thought went out the window years ago. Ralph Fiennes is pretty good playing Ben Kinglesy playing Don Logan from Sexy Beast. In the end, when you think of this movie, all I can say is why? Review is not bias due to the fact I almost got into a fist fight with a 70 year old man during the first 5 minutes of the film. Audiences are rough out here in the East, folks.

Comment

Haven't seen the movie but thought the script was top notch. One of the best I've read in a while, in fact.

Creative Screenwriting did a podcast Q&A with writer Martin McDonagh that's well worth a listen. Like Prosaic I was impressed at how he came across.
          twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

I don't think the film is as much about hitmen as it is about tourism and culture. The main characters just happen to be hitmen. I dunno. Made me laugh.

Comment

I wanted to like this film, trust me. I listened to the podcast as well. It is good, the movie? Needed more. The "happened" to be hitman thing is one of the problems. Is there any point in it? The morals in dark places? I guess that's something but it just felt fake to me. All around.

You know, maybe I am just sour because an old woman on the Upper West Side yelled at my girlfriend, "UNBELIEVABLE!" for eating popcorn in the movie theater [not loudly] and without thinking I said "Go **** yourself!" And it started this whole thing. True story. Her turning to her elderly husband and saying "HE told ME to go **** myself!" was funnier than the film. In all seriousness, if you've seen the movie... The scene in the smoking section is EXACTLY like what happened to me -- minus the punches.

Comment

Originally posted by qualitycontrol View Post
                ...an old woman on the Upper West Side yelled at my girlfriend, "UNBELIEVABLE!" for eating popcorn in the movie theater [not loudly] and without thinking I said "Go **** yourself!" And it started this whole thing. True story. Her turning to her elderly husband and saying "HE told ME to go **** myself!" was funnier than the film.
                I'll give ya, that's pretty damn funny.
                twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Originally posted by -XL- View Post
                  I'll give ya, that's pretty damn funny.
                  I was like "you're yelling at us for eating popcorn in a movie theater!"

It was insane. Unbelievable? Really? I think its pretty believable.

Comment

I read the script and thought the dialogue wasn't the best. I love the idea, the setting and the structure but the dialogue, man, the dialogue was really boring. I consider it to be a very black comedy for some reason.
                    "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Really enjoyed this movie. Took 45 mins for it to finally twist into something really interesting, but for those who love PULP FICTION, this isn't too far removed. The set-ups and pay-offs are nicely done as well.

EJ

Comment

went to see this movie with a buddy, and we were both surprised by how much we liked it. Great stuff, and Farrell deserved his win from it.

Comment

really enjoyed it, even though it's not my usual cup of tea. Helped even more by having a couple of my favorite actors in really fine form.

But as a writer, I'm still niggling over exactly who the protagonist is. Not that it lessened my enjoyment.

Comment

F.ucking love the conversation they were having with the dwarf when they were all high in the hotel.
                            Screenwriting is like stripping. You don't just dump your clothes on the floor. You tease as you go. And then you get screwed in a back room for money. - Craig Mazin

Comment

Originally posted by Pipe View Post
                              F.ucking love the conversation they were having with the dwarf when they were all high in the hotel.
                              lol. And he was embarrased the next day. Classic.

EJ

Comment

Working...
                              X