• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Love Guru Trailer

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/02/...r-has-arrived/
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: The Love Guru Trailer

looks totally silly and borderline stupid. But I thought the same about Austin Powers until I saw it. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to this. on a side note, I don't think Justin Timberlake gets enough credit as an actor.
    If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

That was great!
      Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

This seems like a bunch of Austin Powers outtakes, or a long lost Austin Powers flick. You could edit this trailer with clips from the Austin Powers series and people would think it's a new AP flick.

Maybe I'm crazy, but while this type of thing worked five or ten years ago, I don't think it would work out as well today. I think filmgoers have moved on from Mike Myers to Will Ferrell, and so on. I just think this type of MM movie is old news to many folks at this point.

I could see this one bombing, and bombing huge. Then again, I thought the same thing about freakin' Norbit and it almost brought in $200 million worldwide!

For the record, I think the trailer looks horrible. My favorite parts of the trailer are Justin Timberlake and Jessica Alba. That doesn't bode well for me.

Just watch, months from now I'll be posting about how funny I think it is after I watch it.

Comment

Ya - trailers wear thin on me... I don't know why there are actual "trailer producers" who get paid tons of money to make these horrible trailers. Is it that they only get bad footage to work with in the first place?

I'd rather see a trailer with a huge no dialogue montage and then one funny line at the end... in this case. I want to be surprised. It's been a while since Mike Myers has done anything original...so this character is surprising in of itself.

Does anybody have the Guru script or read it? I am wondering if it's good...

I was happy when I saw Jumper's trailer - but still haven't seen it because of... (ready for this!) word of mouth! So, I guess I'll wait on word of mouth for Guru

---Zazzz

Comment

Saw the trailer.

Can anyone say Austin Powers 0.1?

Seriously, it looks like someone took all the Austin Powers scripts, ran them through a shredder and taped the crap back together
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I wonder what kind of karma Mike is building up for himself by making money off stinky movies.

Comment

Originally posted by zazzo2003 View Post
                Ya - trailers wear thin on me... I don't know why there are actual "trailer producers" who get paid tons of money to make these horrible trailers. Is it that they only get bad footage to work with in the first place?
                Uh...thanks.

And we usually get the whole movie. This trailer sucks just because it sucks. There's no real hook to it.

Personally -- speaking of the film itself -- it looks like old hat for Meyers. I don't think Austin Powers really holds up for me over time and this has some of the exact same jokes. But with that said, I used to work for the director and he's a really great guy. Smart and funny. So there is hope for this thing. I'm just happy he got his shot because he truly worked hard for it.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                  Uh...thanks.

And we usually get the whole movie. This trailer sucks just because it sucks. There's no real hook to it.
                  Ele, do you use After Effects and Premiere to cut your trailers?

Or something from Apple?
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                    Ele, do you use After Effects and Premiere to cut your trailers?

Or something from Apple?
                    We make our graphics primarily in After Effects and Cinema 4D and we cut mainly on Avid. Except for high def stuff, which we do on Final Cut.

Ele...

Comment

Ele - I knew you were gonna chime in - Don't mean any disrespect, but all the movie trailers look, sound and feel the same. Since you're an expert, why the cookie cutter approach? Can you guys bend the rules and do something different to call attention to the trailer?

-Zazz

Comment

(voice of Don LaFontaine)

In a World without change...
                        In a place you've already seen...
                        Above all things...
                        One man's voiceover will be heard...
                        over...and over again...

This Summer, dare to experience the familiar
                        sound of movie trailers...

From the guy who brings you every voiceover...
                        In every trailer...comes...

The LaFontaine Voiceovers!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                          We make our graphics primarily in After Effects and Cinema 4D and we cut mainly on Avid. Except for high def stuff, which we do on Final Cut.

Ele...
                          What do you output at? Does it vary for each format - ie, 72dpi for web, 4K for cinema etc. Also do you ever use Softimage, Maya or 3DS Max for animated backgrounds, or is it mainly Cinema 4D for any animation?

I find trailers interesting as I wanted to work in post production for many years, and trained as a compositor using Shake. I also dabbled with video editing and 3D animation.
                          @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by zazzo2003 View Post
                            Ele - I knew you were gonna chime in - Don't mean any disrespect, but all the movie trailers look, sound and feel the same. Since you're an expert, why the cookie cutter approach? Can you guys bend the rules and do something different to call attention to the trailer?

-Zazz
                            The biggest issue is that the studios want these trailers to look the same. They want the Love Guru to look and feel like Austin Powers. Because they want all of the same people to buy a ticket. Most of the time that we try to do something really original the studio doesn't like it. You'll have more luck going out of the box with indie films. No Country For Old Men had some of the best trailers last year. It was in their benefit to look different because they were going for an art house crowd with the hope that awards and critical acclaim would bring in a wider audience. And it worked. But if the Love Guru doesn't open with Austin Powers money, it's a failure. Studios never take chances.

Ele...

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                              What do you output at? Does it vary for each format - ie, 72dpi for web, 4K for cinema etc. Also do you ever use Softimage, Maya or 3DS Max for animated backgrounds, or is it mainly Cinema 4D for any animation?

I find trailers interesting as I wanted to work in post production for many years, and trained as a compositor using Shake. I also dabbled with video editing and 3D animation.
                              It's different for everything. Most of that tech stuff is on the editor's end rather than mine. Although I can tell you we output for film and 2K. I think some of our graphics guys have used Maya here and there, but not the other two. It's always tough to find a good graphics guy, that's for sure.

Ele...

Comment

Working...
                              X