Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The REAL problem with the Oscars

Terrence isn't around tonight, so I'm stuck picking up his slack and pointing out all the entries on FirstShowing.net....lazy bastard.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/...cademy-awards/

Seriously, though, it's the best analysis I've read. It goes well beyond the obvious point that it fared badly because people didn't see the nominated films and points the finger, I think, where it belongs.
    Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Re: The REAL problem with the Oscars

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post
    Terrence isn't around tonight, so I'm stuck picking up his slack and pointing out all the entries on FirstShowing.net....lazy bastard.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/...cademy-awards/

Seriously, though, it's the best analysis I've read. It goes well beyond the obvious point that it fared badly because people didn't see the nominated films and points the finger, I think, where it belongs.
    Oh, I'm here ol' boy. Just busy writing a screenplay that no fvcker wants to read.

*sigh.

I hand all posting duties to you. I trust you will carry the torch. And remember, with great power posting comes great formatting responsibilities.

Don't worry, this post has been fueled by 3 cans of Red Bull. That means I talk a lot of sh!t.
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Check your PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post
        It goes well beyond the obvious point that it fared badly because people didn't see the nominated films and points the finger, I think, where it belongs.
        I feel it is a Catch-22.

If the studios don't market the films aggressively then the general viewing public won't see them... But in this case, when the general public does go and finally see them, barring Juno... They end up not liking them as much as they (the studios; Academy) hope they would.

On one of the other Oscar threads a poster said they live in Houston, or Dallas (TX), and they often attend free test screenings because either of these two cities represent Middle-America more accurately than L.A., or NY.

The poster said people came out of Juno feeling happy and talking about it on their way to their cars. Then the poster said when they came out of No Country... It was the exact opposite. They said they even overheard one viewer say, "What the hell was that?"

So, I still feel it is the films themselves that play the biggest factor as to whether people are interested in them (and whether or not if they win any big awards). A lot of this is now linked directly with word-of-mouth because of the lackluster marketing and the general viewing publics distrust of critics and their (often bias) reviews, IMO.
        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
          I feel it is a Catch-22.

If the studios don't market the films aggressively then the general viewing public won't see them... But in this case, when the general public does go and finally see them, barring Juno... They end up not liking them as much as they (the studios; Academy) hope they would.

On one of the other Oscar threads a poster said they live in Houston, or Dallas (TX), and they often attend free test screenings because either of these two cities represent Middle-America more accurately than L.A., or NY.

The poster said people came out of Juno feeling happy and talking about it on their way to their cars. Then the poster said when they came out of No Country... It was the exact opposite. They said they even overheard one viewer say, "What the hell was that?"

So, I still feel it is the films themselves that play the biggest factor as to whether people are interested in them (and whether or not if they win any big awards). A lot of this is now linked directly with word-of-mouth because of the lackluster marketing and the general viewing publics distrust of critics and their (often bias) reviews, IMO.
          That's what I think the writer of the column meant by saying there needs to be a re-education of the public. Of course, this is never going to happen, but it works to point out that these films would do better with a population that was wiser to the medium.

But aside from that, I think there's a middle-ground here.

Sometimes a synonym for optimism should be naivete, but I really think that HAD they been better advertised, there would be something of a larger audience for them.

Atonement would've been the hardest to get people to go see. The advertising reeks of one-of-those-boring-old-Victorian-dramas-they-play-on-Bravo.

But one thing I agreed with the writer of that column on, if you look back - the advertising for these big films was all rather vague. There Will Be Blood, especially.

So, yeah, you'd have more people running out going "'I'm finished', what the hell did he mean by that?," but I think you'd also find an audience of people that are going to spend the drive home talking about greed.

Comment

Originally posted by boski

By defiition, low-concept movies are harder to successfully market to a mass audience. Broad and effusive critical praise partnered with good word-of-mouth is what's needed to turn these kind of films into popular successes.
            Thus creating the barrier to get into the club.

It's not enough to just write well. Writing well might get you $30k in a Nicholl fellowship, but if you want to really sell, you've gotta show them that you can hit the mark with an original concept AND execute.

Comment

Originally posted by boski
              Not necessarily.

Diablo Cody & JUNO are a perfect case in point. Certainly this is an exceptional case, but I think it points up the power of good writing despite a completely low-concept, fairly derivative premise: a teenage girl dealing with pregnancy is AFTER SCHOOL SPECIAL stuff.

Yet Cody took that hackneyed story idea to raise herself from screenwriting obscurity to Best Screenplay Oscar. All through the power of creating an original character through dialogue.

But then again, maybe that's practically the same thing as showing up with a sparklingly new concept... A character that original probably carries almost as much weight as an original story idea, even if the character's in a fairly familiar and over-worked storyline. Yeah--it probably does.

So there's at least two ways for a newbie to get noticed: strikingly original characters or original concepts, though the latter is almost certainly the way most new writers beak in.
              Prior to Juno, though, Cody had written a book and a column for Ent. Weekly. She had a manager, already. That manager advised her to write a script based on her talent to be able to write the way she does.

She didn't "get in" that way.

For all of us trying to bust our way into the studio system, you've gotta have that million dollar idea and a million dollar script to go with it.

Comment

Oscars

"The studios didn't give anyone a reason to see the amazing films that got nominated. It's almost like they don't even give people a chance to see them, especially when they open in so few theaters on their opening weekends."
                Yeah, Osars are for Yanks and Hollywood.

I'll be glad to see who wins the Genie awards, tonight.

A few good ones that didn't do so well at the Oscar gala:

AWAY FROM HER

EASTERN PROMISES

SHAKE HANDS WITH THE DEVIL
                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

I kind of like the Oscars the way they are. I don't always agree with the winner, but I do enjoy the speculation.

By contrast, The Independent Spirit Awards are a bore. Every year the best picture award goes to the highest grossing film. It's a predictable popularity contest.

At least there's some suspense with the Oscars.

To the point of this thread, I have to say that finding out how many people watched the Oscars never changes my feelings about anything. Seems like a complete non-sequitor.

Comment

Yeah, but the ISA's are funny to watch, because more actors the cameras cut to look like they're zooted on coke during the awards show.

I think it's funny to see stars sporting alien-face.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X