No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happens in 2012?

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/03/...ppens-in-2012/

Back in February, blockbuster director Roland Emmerich revealed that his next big movie would be one titled 2012, a disaster movie that takes place in the year of the title. Emmerich's next finished movie is actually 10,000 B.C., which hits theaters this coming Friday. Our friend Steve from Collider caught up with Emmerich last weekend while he was promoting 10,000 B.C. and tried to get him to reveal what exactly happens in 2012, but still had no luck - he's keeping a very tight lip. But if you're interested in trying to guess what it might be or just want to know exactly what Emmerich said, read on. And considering this is the next big $200 million epic summer blockbuster, we're sure you'll want to know.

The script for 2012 is apparently so good, that the studios started a bidding war for distribution, with Sony ending up the winner. Now it's heading into production for a July 10th, 2009 opening. Emmerich has said previously that "it will be very expensive, you see the whole world go to ****" and other sources reported that the "project has more going for it than the big idea that studios love," but what exactly that means yet, no one knows. All that we do know is that 2012 is the year that the Mayan calendar (pictured to the right) ends and many others have predicted that it will be the apocalyptic end of the Earth. What Emmerich is depicting, however, is a "natural disaster" of some sorts.

Before we get into the juicy details, Emmerich explains his inspiration for the movie, and how he convinced himself, after saying he'd never do another disaster movie, to do 2012.
    "...This whole movie I'm doing next was inspired by just the phenomenon of the internet when you type in Google, '2012', you get 240 million hits. That's a lot. And it's just, so many people write about it, believe it, that our world comes to an end in 2012. I said wow. I kind of said before I will never do a disaster movie again. I said, for this idea I have to do it again."
    When Collider asked Emmerich whether this would achieve a new level of "blowing things up", Emmerich responded with "it's not blowing up, it's something else." And when prodded further to explain himself, Emmerich almost gave it away: "This time there's no blowing up. It's a natural disaster. Well, actually yeah, like a... I'm not saying it! I'm giving things away." Damn, too close! If only he just finished his sentence...

To be honest, Emmerich has done such a great job of teasing 2012, that I'm getting into it almost as much as Cloverfield, where it's become all about figuring out "what it is" more than anything else. Unfortunately we'll have to wait until we see the first teaser trailer or hear reports from the set to get to that point. Emmerich goes on talking to Collider about how "undoable" this is, especially considering they're going to, basically, destroy the entire world. Check out what he had to say!
    "Yes, it will be very expensive, but I think it will be for a price because people who read the script said this is undoable. And I said, well but we'll do it. I mean, it's one of these things that everybody says it's undoable because it's like, you see the whole world go to ****... It's kind of one of these things when I write a script, and I wrote it again with Harald [Kloser] together, we just said no, we'll not think if it's doable or not, we'll just write it. We'll just come up with it. And then we'll figure out how we'll do it. I think it's worth doing it because it's also when you have something where you have adrenaline because you are nervous about it, that's good. That's a little bit like... it's good when actors have this adrenaline when they go on stage. I think they do their best work, and for us it's the same thing..."
    I love the way he thinks - don't write it with "is it doable?" in mind, just write it, and then figure out how to do it. And even be nervous about it, challenge yourself - that's awesome. As much as we all know that Emmerich is a filmmaker who writes/directs films that are nothing but storyless blockbusters, at least they're entertaining. And although I'm not that excited for 10,000 B.C., I'm already very excited for 2012. I'm really wondering what the hell is going to happen, and how the entire world is going to get destroyed! This should be fun!

Any guesses as to what kind(s) of natural disaster(s) will be destroying the Earth in 2012?
    @TerranceMulloy

Re: What Happens in 2012?

Lava Men and Rock Golem Women will attack the World from the Earth's core. No question about it...write it down, man!

My classified U.S. government secret(The Adam Isaac: Artificial Intelligence Project)is unveiled then too. Guess I'll come clean now...my brain is synthetic rubber, folks. I'm the prototype that escaped my creators.
    sigpic

Comment

Aren't Kurtzman & Orci adapting a book / producing a film that deals with the whole 2012 / Mayan calendar / end of the world thing?

Comment

In 2012, there's going to be probably 10 movies about the end of the World.
        sigpic

Comment

Thought so. This is from VARIETY, just about one year ago:

Michael Bay is looking to the future.

Director is attached to reteam with writing-producing duo Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci on sci-fi project "2012," based on bestselling author Whitley Strieber's upcoming tome of the same name, for Warner Bros.

Story follows an academic researcher who opens a portal into a parallel universe and makes contact with his double in order to stop an apocalypse foreseen by the ancient Mayans.

Kurtzman and Orci, who penned Bay's upcoming DreamWorks tentpole "Transformers" and brought the director aboard "2012," will produce.

Warners nailed down the film rights to Strieber's book on Friday and continues negotiations with Orci, Kurtzman and Bay.

Bay is in post with "Transformers." He was last in theaters with "The Island."

Kurtzman and Orci are the writers on J.J. Abrams' upcoming "Star Trek" for Paramount. Pic is set to begin lensing this fall, resurrecting the lucrative franchise.

Strieber has several projects set up at other studios, including Sony's adaptation of his "The Grays," which Cary Brokaw is producing and scribe Ken Nolan adapting. His tome "The Day After Tomorrow" was the inspiration for Fox's film of the same name.

Bay is repped by William Morris Agency, while Kurtzman and Orci are repped by Creative Artists Agency. Innovative Artists Agency reps Strieber.

Comment

What Happens in 2012?
            The matter/antimatter universes collide...But don't worry I have a theory about consciousness being and independent variable, outside the framework of the universe.

Comment

What happens in 2012... stays in 2012
              "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Well, there's all sort of theories being argued between the hippies and the doomsayers, but most focus on the Earth aligning with the center of the galaxy and going on pause (a very rough generalization).

What that means is open to interpretation, of course. The hippies think that it'll bring about a big love-in, and doomsayers say the sheisse is gonna hit the fan.

People who want to make money off of it say that God has a reservation back on Earth that day.

Nihilists say the everything will cease to exist in the tick of the clock, and good riddance.

What's Emmerich think? I dunno. Maybe the sun gets stuck and time goes all higgly-jiggly while solar flares flash out and zombie Mayans crawl out of the empty, dusty plains that used to be rain forests as a solitary tear trickles down their cheeks...

... with dinosaurs.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Q: What happens in Roland Emmerich's new movie?

A: Who cares?
                  Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

I take it you're not a genre fan.

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post
                    Q: What happens in Roland Emmerich's new movie?

A: Who cares?
                    Well, for starters Universal Studios does.
                    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I dunno...it's just, by the third time the guy makes a movie about the world coming to an end, you can't help but wonder if this guy just greenlights this **** based on how many times he sees BOOM! in the script.

Comment

I dunno...it's just, by the third time the guy makes a movie about the world coming to an end, you can't help but wonder if this guy just greenlights this **** based on how many times he sees BOOM! in the script.
                        I totally understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, these films can, and often do, make money.

Emmerich made a few 'end of the world' films, and now that's all he does. He's the go to guy for end of the world and alien invasion stuff. Plus, Universal know he can make money for them - hence the reason he sold his pitch and script with ease.

Sure, his films are always packed with added preservatives and plenty of cheese, but they are a spectacle to watch - and audiences love that sh!t.

As far as Universal are concerned, BOOM! leads to $$$$$
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                          I totally understand where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, these films can, and often do, make money.

Emmerich made a few 'end of the world' films, and now that's all he does. He's the go to guy for end of the world and alien invasion stuff. Plus, Universal know he can make money for them - hence the reason he sold his pitch and script with ease.

Sure, his films are always packed with added preservatives and plenty of cheese, but they are a spectacle to watch - and audiences love that sh!t.

As far as Universal are concerned, BOOM! leads to $$$$$
                          So I guess now would be a good time to announce my latest spec script "BOOM!"

Think of it like a Will Smith/Kurt Russell/Matthew Broderick/Jeff Goldblum/Denis Quaid/James Spader vehicle about frogs falling out of the sky, leading to massive volcanoes, earthquakes and tornadoes and a great big dinosaur.

Estimated budget: 900M.

May the bidding war commence!

Comment

2012 is not so much the DESTRUCTION of the world, though, as simply TEOTWAWKI.

If all the movie is is "stuff blowing up" ... the guy bought into the idiotic version of the Possibility.

Maybe that's what sells movie tickets, but if that's the case ... well, it's sad that's the limitation of so many folks' imaginations.

I'd rather see a movie that blows people's minds, than just blows **** up.

No doubt most of us would rather WRITE that sort of movie, too!
                            sigpic
                            "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                            that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                            -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

So I guess now would be a good time to announce my latest spec script "BOOM!"

Think of it like a Will Smith/Kurt Russell/Matthew Broderick/Jeff Goldblum/Denis Quaid/James Spader vehicle about frogs falling out of the sky, leading to massive volcanoes, earthquakes and tornadoes and a great big dinosaur.

Estimated budget: 900M.

May the bidding war commence!
                              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                              X