• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arthur C. Clark passed away, too.

http://news.wired.com/dynamic/storie...03-18-18-16-34

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3qLdeEjdbWE

Re: Arthur C. Clark passed away, too.

Damn...R.I.P.

One of the greatest writers we had left.
    Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

That makes two. Who is going to be number three (they always go in threes)?

Also...

I concur with Naudikom. One of the greats who will be truly missed. He was ahead of his time, IMO, and will forever be timeless now.
      Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Son of a Bitch! well that just sucks.

Comment

Many don't know this, but the communications satelite was Clark's idea.

Comment

That is sad. He was probably the greatest science fiction writer of the all time.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

"A hundred years ago, the electric telegraph made possible-indeed, inevitable-the United States of America. The communications satellite will make equally inevitable a United Nations of Earth; let us hope that the transition period will not be equally bloody."

Arthur C. Clarke, First on the Moon, 1970-2008

Comment

Sad passing, but a great life well-lived. And now finally he knows what the Star Child ending was all about, and is probably already reincarnated and lounging about beneath the twin suns on Europa.
                sigpic
                "As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
                that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
                -Mahatma Gandhi.

Comment

Also by chance, I just finished "The Time Ships" by Stephen Baxter, his writing partner in recent years.

Comment

Arthur C. Clarke

Originally posted by Great White Mark View Post
                    Many don't know this, but the communications satelite was Clark's idea.
                    Many have heard, (repeatedly and incessantly), that Clarke should have made his fortune by patenting his idea of utilizing geostationary satellites as radio-communication platforms. He promoted this argument, and numerous interviewers would raise this question, (again and again).

If I were a patent examiner, I would have rejected Clarke's application on the basis of prior art, (citing the works of Konstantin Tsiolkovsky and Herman Potočnik). Also, the invention would have been impractical with the technology available in 1945. There weren't any rockets capable of launching an earth-orbiting satellite, and the current vacuum tube technology of radios would have made it impractical, (with its need for constant maintenance and re-supply). Without more powerful rockets and transitors, Clarke's "thought experiment" wasn't worth the numerous papers that were written upon it, nor did he deserve the credit for it.

"...the space station has at its disposal large radio equipment that makes possible both telegraph and telephone communications with the ground at any time. Overcoming a relatively significant distance as well as the shielding effect exerted by the atmosphere on radio waves (Heaviside layer), are successful here (after selecting an appropriate direction of radiation) by using shorter, directed waves and sufficiently high transmission power, because conditions for this transmission are favorable since electric energy can be generated in almost any quantities by means of the solar power plant and because the construction of any type of antenna presents no serious problems as a result of the existing weightlessness." ~ Herman Potočnik, Das Problem der Befahrung des Weltraums - der Raketen-Motor (1929)
                    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                      That makes two. Who is going to be number three (they always go in threes)?
                      Paul Scofield just died.

Comment

Working...
                      X