X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreams on Spec

http://www.dreamsonspec.com/

Has anyone watched this?

I rented it off Unbox this morning. It's basically a doc profiling three screenwriters on the verge of finally getting somewhere. None of them have gone through the query route - most of them have some kind of contact or something, and are pushing to get something done with their scripts.

It then intercuts with interview snippets with Nora Ephron, Stephen de Souza, Gary Ross, and others.

The thing about this... it's a little hard to watch.
    Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Re: Dreams on Spec

A little hard to watch how?

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's good.

It's just painful, some of the things that go on with these people. One, in particular, is at a point where - financially - it's all over if something doesn't happen. Another struggles to pursue getting some attention for his script while taking care of his autistic daughter.

This is no rosy story.
      Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Nope, that doesn't sound rosy at all.

Comment

I've had 'Dreams on Spec' on DVD for a while now. I enjoyed it as entertainment and as a possible route that i might eventually make when I do get to Lala Land. There are obviously more than three ways your screenwriting journey can go, but it was interesting to see how those three played out. The interviews with the established writers was an added bonus.

I recommend it.

Comment

This exactly why I won't close up my business to go fulltime with writing.

The downside to running your own business is that it leaves very little time to write, but I try and fit at least an hour in everyday.

But the upside is that you have stability, and you can dedicate as much time needed to developing your craft and voice. You're not betting all your chips in one hand, so to speak.
            Last edited by Terrance Mulloy; 03-22-2008, 07:25 PM.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I really loved this exerpt from James L Brooks. http://www.dreamsonspec.com/movies/brooks/brooks.html

And this - http://www.dreamsonspec.com/movies/a...raszewski.html
              @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Watched it tonight. Kinda thought Joe and Deborah were screwed from the start. It's very tough to break in with those indie type of stories. Much easier with a genre movie. No surprise that the only one of three to achieve any kind of success was the guy doing the slasher flick.

Deborah's trailer was....uggghhh....horrible. Knew she was toast once I saw that.

Joe's rant at the end about Hollywood only making crap is typical of someone who doesn't understand Hollywood. Yea, it's all crap Joe, and you're the overlooked genius doing the brilliant work.

Interesting little documentary. Nothing earth-shattering, but certainly relevant to our common struggle here. More of a cautionary tale than a guide to conquering Hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
                  Joe's rant at the end about Hollywood only making crap is typical of someone who doesn't understand Hollywood. Yea, it's all crap Joe, and you're the overlooked genius doing the brilliant work.
                  I suspect there's a lot of writers who struggle with that. They want to be the next James L Brooks or Chris Hampton, but fail to understand that these kinds of films are a lot harder to sell than a slasher flick.

I'm not shunning those kinds of films that Brooks and Hampton write, but I think young writers who break in, usually seem to break in with an original take on a certain genre. A recent example would be the action/sci-fi spec that sold a few weeks back from Toby Wagstaff and Darren Howell, titled ARENA. Another would be crime/thriller spec The Low Dweller.

I think it's an interesting contrast how some writers only want to break in with serious dramatic/indie type fare, yet others want to purely make Hollywood studio tent-pole's. I guess these differing ends of the spectrum is what makes the screenwriting world go round.
                  @TerranceMulloy

Comment

There's a place in the market for experimental indie movies. Just realize that the big studios don't produce a lot of indie stuff and when they do, it's often an adaptation of a famous novel or a comic book.

Heck, companies like Fox Searchlight don't even have to take a chance on a property. They can just sit back, let the filmmakers and producers assume all the financial risk, and then swoop in at the last hour and cherry pick the best movies from the hundreds of features playing the festival circuit. No risk. That's how they like it.

It's tough to break into the biz as an "artist." If you want to be a Paul Thomas Anderson type filmmaker then I think you should go the directing route and make your own movies. That's the best way to break in because you're facing a pretty long and brutal road if you're trying to sell something like THERE WILL BE BLOOD as a spec. Ain't gonna happen. You only get the privelige of making those movies AFTER you've already earned credibility. Even then it won't be easy.

That said, there's a difference between offbeat and obtuse. Something that's offbeat in content, but conventional in structure has a chance of being sold and produced. Something that's offbeat and obtuse will not sell.

Joe's attitudes are typical of a Hollywood neophyte. He thinks the game is about making a great story. He thinks great stories should be recognized. That's only half true. Hollywood wants great stories, but it wants great stories that fit neatly into its concept of what the moviegoing public will actually pay to see. Have a great story about a bomb on a bus? Cool. Have a great story about a kid who sees ghosts? Cool. Have a great story about a slacker who's afraid of commitment? That's a tougher sell unless you frame it in a really crisp, clear high concept way.

You nailed it here:

I'm not shunning those kinds of films that Brooks and Hampton write, but I think young writers who break in, usually seem to break in with an original take on a certain genre. A recent example would be the action/sci-fi spec that sold a few weeks back from Toby Wagstaff and Darren Howell, titled ARENA. Another would be crime/thriller spec The Low Dweller.
                    Hollywood wants something that's the same, but different. Greatness is not determined by a script's Oscar chances, but by its potential to get asses in the seats.

Is a lot of the stuff that gets made crap? Sort of. But it's the right kind of crap. And some if it's pretty damn clever. None of the sold specs I've read were bad. They were all quite good actually.

I think a lot of people are poisoned by film school professors and film critics. These folks will tell you that David Lynch and Lars Von Trier are the kind of filmmakers you should aspire to become. These are "important" filmmakers who doing great "art." Fine, but neither of them broke in writing specs and neither of them carries half the weight in Hollywood that Robert Zemeckis does.

The film business isn't about spewing your magical whimsies onto celluloid and watching everyone clap at your brilliance. It's about delivering a product that people will pay money to see. That's all. If you can do that, you can have a career.

Comment

Great post Dalt. I totally agree.

Hollywood want great stories, that's true. But they also want great stories that sell - and there's the crux - can we write great, heart-wrenching stories and turn over a decent buck at the same time with high concept ideas?

There's definately a market for low concept indie stuff. In fact, many of todays best directors/writers come from that industry.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

There are other routes to success, too. And most important, success is relative. I feel this is an aspect a lot of newbies have a warped view of as well.

If a writer is having trouble selling that off-beat spec, but it is a good writing sample that is getting good feedback... He/she might actually be a good fit for a TV show with similar sensibilities if they can get on staff.

They can cut their teeth on the grind of producing a mainstream show... Even shows on HBO, and Cinemax are mainstream no matter what anybody says... And learn the realities of the business. Then with their growing resume they might be able to retool that off-beat spec to be more mainstream, or at least be in a better position to interest those whom they normally might not have been able to persuade in the beginning being just a two-bit nobody with no credits whatsoever.
                        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

One of my biggest moments of revelation in this business was learning that writing a good script wasn't enough -- you HAVE to study the marketplace and write what is commercial. At least until you're enough of a success that people will take a chance at something more unusual from you.

Speaking of documentaries, this is the one I'm waiting for...

http://www.passtalk.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                            This exactly why I won't close up my business to go fulltime with writing. The downside to running your own business is that it leaves very little time to write.
                            Surely the Aussie Dingo circus circuit isn't completely year round? Couldn't you hire a dingo circus manager?
                            Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
                              Surely the Aussie Dingo circus circuit isn't completely year round? Couldn't you hire a dingo circus manager?

Err... actually I own a hotel room service company - but Dingo is definately on the menu!

@TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                              X