Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leatherheads

Wow, it failed to meet studio expectations by almost 50%. What a shocker. When this script sold to Clooney, I thought, huh? Who the hell is going to see this? A classic example of a star's pet project without a prayer in the marketplace getting made anyway.

Re: Leatherheads

Clooney has admitted on a few occasions that most of his films don't make money. But he's got the power in Hollywood to call the shots and make the projects he feels passionate about. Plus, it does help when you've got a Billionaire backing your films. A lot of Clooney's financing comes from Steven Soderbergh and Clooneys mutal friend - some guy who was the first eBay employee - ended up selling his shares in 2001 and made like a billion dollars. I think he's the founder of Participant Films? Anyway, I think I'd enjoy Leatherheads. I kind of like films where the characters are the underdogs.

Brad Pitt has a similar advantage. I don't think Jesse James did all that well financially, but having Pitt attached to star was the only way Andrew Dominik could get it made. Ironically, it's supposedly Pitt's best perfomance thus far, and unfortunately it got a very limited release in the states. I haven't had a chance to see it, but from what I hear it's one of those films you either love or hate. And Casey also stole the show, too.
    @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Leatherheads is pleasant fun. It's sold as a love triangle which it isn't - it's just a silly light comedy.

Jesse James is a great film. No surprise more people didn't see it though.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
        Wow, it failed to meet studio expectations by almost 50%. What a shocker. When this script sold to Clooney, I thought, huh? Who the hell is going to see this? A classic example of a star's pet project without a prayer in the marketplace getting made anyway.
        Rick Reilly of SI.com wrote this script 15 or 16 years ago. I think that's when it was originally sold.

He was on ESPN radio on Friday talking about it. He called it a long-lost daughter he sent to live with somebody else years ago, and when he finally saw her again...she was all tattooed up and dating some n'er do well riding a motorcycle. Thought that was a pretty funny analogy.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
          A lot of Clooney's financing comes from Steven Soderbergh and Clooneys mutal friend - some guy who was the first eBay employee - ended up selling his shares in 2001 and made like a billion dollars. I think he's the founder of Participant Films?
          Jeff Skoll.

He da man. Syriana, Good Night and Good Luck, Michael Clayton. I'd take that for a career.

Now all he has to do is round it out with mine.

Bot
          Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Brad Pitt has a similar advantage. I don't think Jesse James did all that well financially, but having Pitt attached to star was the only way Andrew Dominik could get it made. Ironically, it's supposedly Pitt's best perfomance thus far, and unfortunately it got a very limited release in the states. I haven't had a chance to see it, but from what I hear it's one of those films you either love or hate. And Casey also stole the show, too.
            It's an absolute masterpiece from start to finish. Dominik's a genius, Pitt is unrecognizable and Casey was just mesmerizing. It really was that good.
            Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
              Clooney has admitted on a few occasions that most of his films don't make money. But he's got the power in Hollywood to call the shots and make the projects he feels passionate about. Plus, it does help when you've got a Billionaire backing your films. A lot of Clooney's financing comes from Steven Soderbergh and Clooneys mutal friend - some guy who was the first eBay employee - ended up selling his shares in 2001 and made like a billion dollars. I think he's the founder of Participant Films? Anyway, I think I'd enjoy Leatherheads. I kind of like films where the characters are the underdogs.

I'm actually a fan of Clooney's. I just don't see it or Leatherheads. FYI, Participant, who I love--their head of production is a great guy, had nothing to do with Leatherheads. I think Participant's ethical model is phenomenal--I'd work there in a heartbeat.

Comment

Awful movie.

-Renee Zellwegger was just terrible. Ruined the role imo.

-It seemed to try and be a fast chatting comedy at times, but failed miserably simply because the dialogue just wasn't funny enough. Then when it tried to be a drama, lets just say that didn't work too well either.

-I guess I was expecting more football, cause they really didn't do too much of it. None of Clooney's teammates were interesting or even involved in the story, they just played football and put on army suits at the end.

It all seemed disjointed, and might I add that there was never more than three or four people in the theater laughing at any given joke.

Very disappointed, I expected more from Clooney I guess, I like the guy...
                Write.Sell.Repeat.

Theoretically...

Comment

Too bad. It really looked good. Mixed reviews and all, I'm still surprised it didn't do better business.
                  "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                  - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                  X