Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the Slasher Film

It started out (in my opinion) with a few truly decent gems... and then slowly but surely degraded into what can only be referred to politely as the majority of the 1980s. Although having a brief return to noteworthiness in the latter mid-90s, the sub-genre of terror that is the slasher film (or, as Sir Roger Ebert so dutifully-coined it, the "dead teenager movie" despite not being able to cover it all as not every slashing-centric endeavor deals with a group of pre-adulthoods) has by and large remained to be in an on-going downward spiral into sputtering buckets of diseased crappola.

Can it ever rise above the influence of the box office dollar and actually be a, while perhaps not respected in the most generic sense, be a platform for truly decent or better cinema stories again?

This prose-dabbler seems to think so.

Re: State of the Slasher Film

Can it?

Sure.

Will it?

Not anytime soon.

I just don't think that most of the current horror filmmakers actually care about the genre right now. It's all about pumping one out, making a quick buck, and moving on to the next dud. The heart just isn't in the genre these days. It's all about that horrible "slick" look right now, and I've been sick of it for years.

I really hate Rob Zombie's flicks, I think he's a horrible writer and he tries almost too hard to offend, but he at least brings a sort of heart and care to the genre that's sorely missing from almost every other slasher horror film these days.

Until we get someone who wants to totally dedicate their work to slasher horror, someone who puts thought into every aspect of the film - cinematography, sound, concept, dialogue, and so on - nothing is going to change.

Comment

Re: State of the Slasher Film

I think it's kind of amusing that some of the 80's icons who pioneered the genre - people like Wes Craven are still trying to milk the teet for all it's worth. I'm not entirely ruling out Craven because the guy's gone on to do other films that aren't slasher related, but he just seems like an obvious choice.

Who knows, maybe his new movie 25/8 might inject some life and dignity back into the genre?

I don't get very excited over slasher films though. It's personally never been a favorite of mine. I think I saw everything the slasher genre had to offer back through the 80's and 90's. Everything after seems to be the same old formula being repackaged and resold to younger generations.

Welcome to Hollywood.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
      X