Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iron Man

But this is my point: there is so much of the "real world" as backdrop in Iron Man that we can't say to ourselves this is a world where such fantastic things can happen. The beauty of Robocop was that it begins by showing us the world is not what we're accustomed to. Once that tone is established, you can go from there and believe it. X-Men also did this nicely by saying that every so often evolution races ahead.

Iron Man does not satisfy on this count, other than by telling us Stark was a whiz-kid. It's very grounded in the here and now, and we get no inkling that he's capable of building such a contraption in a cave- at least I didn't think so.

Guys, come on. A few blind spots and he's able to construct, over a period of three months I think it was, a technological marvel that is that suit (which in and of itself was hard to fathom) and hide it from his captors???

I agree with the 'logical' v. 'believable' comment, but I don't think the logic of the Iron Man world works.

I don't want to seem too down on it. It was a fun two hours, but it seemed like they didn't try too hard on the believability front. That's me...
    Quato Lives!

Comment

The real world is, in fact, a place where fantastic things can happen.

Check out Popular Science once in a while:http://www.popsci.com/military-aviat...ts-balance-ice

I could post all kinds of links about the amazing things that are happening today - right now. Look up what Dean Kamen is up to. Check out Paul Moller and his dream of the flying car. A guy recently regrew a severed finger tip using dust created from a pig bladder!

That's only stuff that gets reported in the news. I can say with 100% confidence and assuredness that there are things that happen *today* that would blow your mind.

Back to Iron Man - Tony Stark is incredibly bright, capable, and well equipped to create. He had completely lost his way and gotten lazy. He got quite a "re-calibration" in that Afgan cave and some new perspective on life. I'd imagine that could be quite inspiring.

The technology that was born in the cave was not new (to Tony Stark). It had been invented already. It was simply too big (the ARC reactor). Necessity being the mother of invention provided the kick in the pants he needed to DO SOMETHING.

His shop at home was another indicator that he was a "hands on" inventor whom had gotten complacent.

The "real world" of Iron Man is something I was quite accustomed to, especially with my background in the Air Force. Fantastic indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by vmf
        ...but I see no indication that the entire human population has an IQ of 12 - which would be required for a group of terrorists to freely allow Stark to build a killer robot out of scrap metal.
        Yeah. That sequence made me chuckle inside. I'm thinking I know Stark is a genius but come on. The irony of it is that Jon always wanted it to be as believeable as possible... within comic book reason.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by EddieCoyle View Post
          But this is my point: there is so much of the "real world" as backdrop in Iron Man that we can't say to ourselves this is a world where such fantastic things can happen. The beauty of Robocop was that it begins by showing us the world is not what we're accustomed to. Once that tone is established, you can go from there and believe it. X-Men also did this nicely by saying that every so often evolution races ahead.

Iron Man does not satisfy on this count, other than by telling us Stark was a whiz-kid. It's very grounded in the here and now, and we get no inkling that he's capable of building such a contraption in a cave- at least I didn't think so.

Guys, come on. A few blind spots and he's able to construct, over a period of three months I think it was, a technological marvel that is that suit (which in and of itself was hard to fathom) and hide it from his captors???

I agree with the 'logical' v. 'believable' comment, but I don't think the logic of the Iron Man world works.

I don't want to seem too down on it. It was a fun two hours, but it seemed like they didn't try too hard on the believability front. That's me...
          ROBOCOP is garbage compared to IRON MAN.
          sigpic

Comment

heh.
            sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

Garbage is a bit strong.
              sigpic

Comment

I agree. Robocop is still a good flick. Not fair comparing the two.
                sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

The reason I loved it is because it really didn't shove anything down our throats as most comic book movies do. I mean, a lot of his super powers lie in his charisma and witt...and then there is that suit.

Awsome! Would see again.
                  Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                  Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by NePatsFan View Post
                    The reason I loved it is because it really didn't shove anything down our throats as most comic book movies do. I mean, a lot of his super powers lie in his charisma and witt...and then there is that suit.

Awsome! Would see again.
                    Good point. But then that is why the climax didn't pack quite the wallop I wanted. It gave up on charisma and wit and relied on conventionial metal clanging.
                    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                    -Maya Angelou

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
                      Good point. But then that is why the climax didn't pack quite the wallop I wanted. It gave up on charisma and wit and relied on conventionial metal clanging.
                      I agree that the final confrontation was weak. I think part of that was because of the unecessary Overly evil villain. They really turned a somewhat sound rational guy into a mass murder in the end, which - I feel like the writers just gave up and wanted to end the story, so they threw this at us.
                      Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
                      Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

I don't think they went overboard with the villain. His fortunes were wrapped up in selling weapons and found those fortunes threatened by Stark. You see every day in the news the things people will do for money.

If the ending was weak, I would guess it was because of budget constraints. The battles in the first X-Men and Spiderman films were small compared to the battles they were able to shoot for the second.

At least they seemed small by comparison.
                        Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
                        Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
                        Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

i went in with low expectations and was surprised. this movie was great. i was even more surprised that the dialogue was so good and not cheesy unlike other comic book movies (Fantastic 4, Spiderman, etc).

this was one of my favorite comic books and i had doubts about jon fav directing but he didnt let me down.
                          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles
                            i was even more surprised that the dialogue was so good and not cheesy unlike other comic book movies
                            That's another element that sold me.
                            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                            X