Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Trailer for The Happening!

This isn't a bad trailer. It probably captures the essense of the movie. It feels like SIGNS on a bigger scale, involving more people.

But having seen all of Shyamalan's movies and not liking any, save UNBREAKABLE, I get the feeling this movie is going to be the same boring, self-important, unsatisfying crap he usually dishes out.

This is purely my taste here, but I get bored during "creepy" movies, movies that take forever to play out and substitute "atmosphere" for interesting plot developments & fascinating char's. THE MOTHMAN PROPHESIES (Is that the title?) was the worst. I fell asleep.

Shyamalan's movies are mostly boring to me. Most of his concepts are OK, but the way he executes them doesn't hold my interest.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Not that I have a clue one way or another, but that pic the reviewer saw could have been a work in progress for audience comments.
      https://actbreakdown.com

Comment

Yeah, I've been stunned by his arrogance, particularly when reading the book about the making of The Lady in the Water, but I don't look forward to him getting his comeuppance if this film fails. He's not the only bighead in Hollywood.

The failure of Lady doesn't seem to have changed him.

I do hope that if this film doesn't succeed, he will turn to other material. Find a good book to adapt or something. He's in a position almost everyone on this board would give their copy of X-Men # 94 to be in. He needs to step back and make some career changes if his own ideas aren't making the grade and give the creative well time to refresh itself.
        @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
          Yeah, I've been stunned by his arrogance, particularly when reading the book about the making of The Lady in the Water, but I don't look forward to him getting his comeuppance if this film fails. He's not the only bighead in Hollywood.

The failure of Lady doesn't seem to have changed him.

I do hope that if this film doesn't succeed, he will turn to other material. Find a good book to adapt or something.
          What happened with Lady...? I know it was denied from a couple studios, but what else?
          Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post
            What happened with Lady...? I know it was denied from a couple studios, but what else?
            Basically, Night (and I feel I can call him Night...) got pissy when Disney didn't wet themselves over his new script (which the head of production was instructed to read instantly) and throw money and an immediate green light at it.
            @MacBullitt

Comment

Tell me the juicy stuff....pissy how?

Comment

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post
                Tell me the juicy stuff....pissy how?
                It's been a while since I read the book, but it was along the lines of the "I'm an artist and they don't understand me -- I'm hurt" variety.

The Disney HoP could see the script had some real issues (which Night didn't like hearing), as she did with The Village, but to keep him sweet they were still prepared to give him $35m to make this picture. Night didn't like that figure and went to Warners, who were prepared to give him more.

Maybe someone else has read it recently and remembers more?
                Last edited by Twofingeredtypist; 05-15-2008, 07:25 PM.
                @MacBullitt

Comment

I actually read the book The Man Who Heard Voices, and it pretty much chronicles the whole behind-the-scenes escapades of Lady in the Water. I like Lady in the Water. Heavy-handed, yes. Different, sure.

I think my favorite Night film is Unbreakable. I feel this film is way better than The Sixth Sense. Sure the twist at the end wasn't really jaw-dropping, but the story, the atmosphere was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro2k5 View Post
                    I actually read the book The Man Who Heard Voices, and it pretty much chronicles the whole behind-the-scenes escapades of Lady in the Water. I like Lady in the Water. Heavy-handed, yes. Different, sure.

I think my favorite Night film is Unbreakable. I feel this film is way better than The Sixth Sense. Sure the twist at the end wasn't really jaw-dropping, but the story, the atmosphere was great.
                    That's the book I was referring to.

Unbreakable has grown on me a lot since I first saw it. I like it a great deal now. A very good Vertigo-inspired comic book movie to which Heroes owes a significant debt.
                    @MacBullitt

Comment

Shymalyan can be an excellent director. The problem for me is he's a better director than writer. He's a better storyteller than he is a writer and he has needed a collaborator and in his egomania as the stories go, has never sought anything but "yes" folk with which to proceed. Therefore I pity him none and say Lady in The Water - ha, he can send a letter to the Make-A-Wish foundation himself for a wish of pity.
                      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

It's been a while since I read the book, but it was along the lines of the "I'm an artist and they don't understand me -- I'm hurt" variety.

The Disney HoP could see the script had some real issues (which Night didn't like hearing), as she did with The Village, but to keep him sweet they were still prepared to give him $35m to make this picture. Night didn't like that figure and went to Warners, who were prepared to give him more.

Maybe someone else has read it recently and remembers more?
                        I haven't read the book but I'd say it's wise to believe that much of it might not be true. Much like rumors and hearsay.

SPOILERS for Lady in the Water

Night's character in the movie talks about writing a "cookbook" for which he would be condemned. From what I gleaned, the cookbook was a metaphor for the LITW script. So, when the suits at Disney didn't like the script, he felt he was on the right track - he knew they wouldn't like it, he didn't even want them to like it, he wanted to be condemned - it was all part of the bigger picture.

What exactly is the bigger picture? It's up to the individual to decipher. It is what the individual chooses to believe. Which is all part of the narrative of the film. All the hub bub behind the making of the film drives home the themes of the narrative. It's brilliant, really.

I loved the film, and whether he was right or not, I admire Night for following his beliefs/vision, especially, knowing he would be condemned for it.

As for The Happening, I'll watch it with an open mind and reasonable expectations. I find I enjoy films more that way.

Comment

Lady in the Water is one of the absolute worst movies I've ever seen. It's just godawful.

I do like Unbreakable, though.

Comment

[quote=sasqits;441126]I haven't read the book but I'd say it's wise to believe that much of it might not be true. Much like rumors and hearsay. [\quote]

The book was written with the full co-operation and input of M. Night.
                            @MacBullitt

Comment

I remember some fake documentary that M. Night put out before The Village about this guy on a quest to prove that Night is really dead, himself.

Gimme a break.

Comment

The book was written with the full co-operation and input of M. Night.
                                That's interesting. I guess Night wanted people to know the full story as it helped hammer home the themes in the film.

Comment

Working...
                                X