No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Trailer for The Happening!

Originally posted by sasqits View Post
    That's interesting. I guess Night wanted people to know the full story as it helped hammer home the themes in the film.
    Thing is, it comes over as sour grapes against Disney.

Given the film's B.O. performance, they were proved ultimately right. Even creatively, the film is a self-indulgent mess.
    @MacBullitt

Comment

This film really needs to flop, then. Like "Speed Racer", it really needs to flop to try and make a point against this kind of self-indulgence.
      Sent from my iPhone. Because I'm better than you.

Comment

Originally posted by Naudikom View Post
        This film really needs to flop, then. Like "Speed Racer", it really needs to flop to try and make a point against this kind of self-indulgence.
        I'm not sure Speed Racer is self-indulgent (although I haven't seen it), but it seems misguided. It reminds me of Tron for some reason.
        @MacBullitt

Comment

It strikes me as self-indulgent in a fanboy sense - not so much the "I'm an auteur" sense that Night tried to feed us with Lady.

Comment

Thing is, it comes over as sour grapes against Disney.

Given the film's B.O. performance, they were proved ultimately right. Even creatively, the film is a self-indulgent mess.
            It's all part of the bigger picture, even your post.

One of the themes of the movie is about the individuals choice to believe. You've chosen to believe the film is a mess. Why? Are you sure some of your personal feelings of jealousy haven't influenced your belief? I know mine did. I started hating the film way before I saw it. Upon watching it, I hated it after only a few moments. Luckily I was able to realize that was ludicrous and I was jealous. After intelluctualizing my feelings, I was able to thouroughly enjoy the film. It's beautiful, man.

Perhaps you have some emotional barriers that do not allow you to recognize, or perhaps, admit your feelings. B/c no person can honestly and objectively call the film a mess. Phrases like "the film a mess" is another way of saying I'm jealous. It's a pseudonymn we use to express, but not admit, our feelings.

And please, we all know b.o. cannot guage the quality of a film. And popular opinion is not always correct. Popular opinion used to be that the earth was flat, and burning witches was a good idea. We've evolved far from those days. We're much more complex, subtle and nuanced. Alas, that can be both a strentgh and a weakness.

I think the exact same film would be praised if it were made by an independent, or "foreign", or unknown director.

Comment

That's it.

I am sick and f*cking tired of having myself or other posters accused of jealousy every time they trounce a film. What could be more arrogant than assuming your opinion is fact and thus, those who disagree must "have some emotional barriers that do not allow (them) to recognize or, perhaps, admit their feelings"....

What a joke.

Comment

Egads... I hate it when someone says "You just don't get it."

Even when they don't say it in those words.

Now, I wouldn't call myself a big Shyamalan fan, but I do look forward to his films. Despite the sniping and the bad press, I'm looking forward to The Happening. I liked the script and I have faith in the man (still) that he'll pull it off.

But I thought The Village and Lady in the Water were huge misteps on his part. I actually considered LitW from every angle, and still found nothing of value in it. If you did, good on you. But I went into it with an open mind, and after sleeping on it came to the honest and objective conclusion that the film was a self-indulgent mess.

And I'm saying that without a trace of jealousy.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I thought Lady in the Water was a huge mess. I am not jelous of M. Night in any way whatsoever. The things he is doing creatively and professionally are nothing I have any desire to do at all, ever. Therefore I'm pretty confident my feelings do not mask some deep seeded jelousy on my part. I thought Lady in the Water was a huge mess.
                  Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

One of the themes of the movie is about the individuals choice to believe. You've chosen to believe the film is a mess. Why? Are you sure some of your personal feelings of jealousy haven't influenced your belief? I know mine did. I started hating the film way before I saw it. Upon watching it, I hated it after only a few moments. Luckily I was able to realize that was ludicrous and I was jealous. After intelluctualizing my feelings, I was able to thouroughly enjoy the film. It's beautiful, man.

Perhaps you have some emotional barriers that do not allow you to recognize, or perhaps, admit your feelings. B/c no person can honestly and objectively call the film a mess. Phrases like "the film a mess" is another way of saying I'm jealous. It's a pseudonymn we use to express, but not admit, our feelings.

And please, we all know b.o. cannot guage the quality of a film. And popular opinion is not always correct. Popular opinion used to be that the earth was flat, and burning witches was a good idea. We've evolved far from those days. We're much more complex, subtle and nuanced. Alas, that can be both a strentgh and a weakness.

I think the exact same film would be praised if it were made by an independent, or "foreign", or unknown director.
                    No, I still think it would still be called an unsubtle, weakly-structured simplistic fantasy packed with obvious, heavy-handed images and dull characters.

The film is a mess. It's a mess in the same way as Michael Mann's The Keep is a mess and Sam Peckinpah's The Osterman Weekend is a mess. All have made much better films. This is not a reflection of my thoughts of them as people or of my opinions of their films in general, this is my opinion of the film in question.

To claim my feelings for the film are borne of jealousy is kind of pathetic, the sort of thing Night might have written in his book. I might just as easily suggest you have fallen for the cult of personality and are not prepared to see the Emporer's new clothes for what they are, but I wouldn't be so insulting. I'm prepared to accept we all have individual tastes.

The box-office remark, if you'd care to go back and read my post carefully, was from the perspective of the Disney exec who let Night take the film to Warners. The failure of the film proved she was right from a business perspective.

Again, at no time have I said I hope The Happening fails. On the contrary, I hope I enjoy it more than the director's last two very disapointing films.
                    @MacBullitt

Comment

Dude, you're mental. There are soooooo many people who have nothing to do with the film industry that think Lady in the Water was a mess. Most of them are not writers or aspiring filmmakers at all. They're just the average joe schmoe who likes to watch movies, and they thought it was awful. I can't even count how many people I know that think that.

This has nothing to do with being jealous and everything to do with calling it what it is. It's a bad movie. It's a mess. To say that popular opinion on this is wrong because you don't agree with it is up there with M. Night telling studios to F off when they told him he needed to rewrite The Happening.

Wait a minute. Are you M. Night? Are you coming on here to defend your own work?

Not cool, dude. Not cool.

Edit:"Phrases like "the film a mess" is another way of saying I'm jealous. It's a pseudonymn we use to express, but not admit, our feelings."

That's the funniest **** I've read all day. My wife is half way through her Masters in Psychology, and I study along side her. I have know idea where you pulled this **** from, other than waaaaaay up your own ass (which is where your head seems to be as well).
                      For more of my thoughts on screenwriting, check out my blog.
                      Jonny Atlas Writes!

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Comment

I'm in the "Lady in the Water was a complete and total mess" camp.

But like you just said, we're not the only people that think the same thing. Sure, many writers and aspiring filmmakers hate it, and hate M. Night, but we're not alone.

When I watched Lady in the Water, I watched it with one of my nieces and nephews. I'd say they were 13 and 14 each when we watched it, maybe one year older each. Anyway, they hated it just as much as I did. They despised it, and we all laughed our asses off at the horribleness that we were witnessing on the screen.

LitW is a horrible film, and I think that even more so when I think of everything that went on behind the scenes.

M. Night is a fine "filmmaker", but he is one of the worst writers to hit it big of all time. He had one major hit, one flick that people saw something major in, and ever since then the guy's been treading water. Before too long, he's going to sink.

He needs to direct, and only direct, a film. Then we'll see if he actually has a future in Hollywood or not. If he keeps directing his own scripts, it'll be over before too long for him.

Now, meh, sorry for the short rant.

I just noticed the red band trailer for the first time, and it's a complete and total WTF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ort07zcUs7g

Comment

Originally posted by 12IronMonkeys View Post
                          I just noticed the red band trailer for the first time, and it's a complete and total WTF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ort07zcUs7g
                          Now I just want to know if he filmed the scene with the kid playing the violin the way it was written.

"We're all immigrants now, man."
                          - Zia (Patrick Fugit), "Wristcutters: A Love Story"

Comment

Working...
                          X