• Show
Clear All

• Sydney Pollack has died.

Sucks. Cancer they say.

SYDNEY. Sorry about that typo. [[too bad I can't edit titles.]]
    qualitycontrol
    Last edited by qualitycontrol; 05-26-2008, 05:46 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Syndey Pollack has died.

Sad. I have both Three Days Of The Condor and Tootsie in my collection. I'll watch both in his honor.
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Comment

Re: Sydney Pollack has died.

Very sad. Great director IMO. Three Days of The Condor, Tootsie, The Way We Were, Jeremiah Johnson. And his first feature, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Comment

I had heard he was very sick, but nobody really talked about it. Still this hits you like a lightning bolt. RIP.

Ele...

Comment

Pollack didn't direct a huge number of films, but of what he did many are excellent.

I remember seeing an interview years ago about how he changed The Firm's ending from the book and Grisham thought Pollack's ending was better than the one he had written in the novel. Pollack also said something to the effect that if a script didn't have some sort of love story within it, he wasn't particularly interested in directing it....therefore he increased the role of Abby McDeere and focused more on the Mitch-Abby relationship.

Another very good pic I watched again just in the last few weeks is The Electric Horseman. You could say it has excellent acting, casting, music, cinematography, writing, etc, but I think all those things came out of Pollack's vision for making the story interesting and accessible.

R.O.T.

Comment

I enjoyed his films, and his acting. I thought he did great playing lawyers in both Changing Lanes and Michael Clayton.

He was a huge talent. I'm sure Hollywood will miss him.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Ugh, I really, really enjoyed this man's work and mind. I had the honor of meeting him once and he's just one of those guys that commands respect with his presence alone. The strange part is he was a pretty humble fellow through all that radiance. Man, he was uber-cool.

Comment

Yeah, reading the obits for him it really struck me how many damn good movies he directed. It made me realize how underrated he has been. It's sad he died, sure, but he had a hell of a lot of accomplishments while living.
                "Witticism"
                -Some Guy

Comment

I always enjoyed him, his films and his acting.

Comment

This sucks.

Comment

By coincidence, TCM is playing Three Days...
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I admired his work, both acting and directing... in fact the latest role I believe that I saw him in was: Thomas Bailey Sr. in "Maid of Honor". Quite intriguing no less.

But he has without doubt dones many things, and I alone will surely miss him.
                        D. Alin
                        http://alinproduction.blogspot.com Sci-Fi/Fantasy (Basically) [Skype me at "Buyitpc" - I will surely love to talk!]

Comment

Yeah, I was surprised when I opened up Variety online and saw it. I didn't know he'd been sick. Very sad, I liked him. RIP.
                          "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

Working...
                          X