X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexism and the City: Newsweek

http://www.newsweek.com/id/139889

Re: Sexism and the City: Newsweek

I don't hate Sex & the City because I'm sexist. Me being a sexist is a whole other issue altogether because I also didn't like Manchild. I will dislike any show that revolves around a pack of rich narcissists.

Comment

My animosity towards Sex in the City stems from my days as a bartender, where I heard the theme of the show chirp as a ringtone constantly, and I was damn near building cosmos for sorority girls approaching the bar before they even opened their mouths to order.

But I'd equally hate on a male-driven analog, a TV show where men yammered on about sports, went to games and in between griped about the grief their girlfriends were giving them. Or whined about not getting laid.
      "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I hate any movie targeted at a single demographic, because it invariably doesn't encompass me most of the time.
        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I feel the more important factor here that is being downplayed (possibly on purpose) is a movie like SATC... A movie intended for chronologically OLDER adults... Opened strong in an industry that has been dominated by movies for teenage boys for almost the last five years, or so.

I feel this aspect is far more important because it proves if mainstream Hollywood makes movies for people over 15, regardless of gender, they WILL show up. Granted, SATC has a strong fan base that is primarily female, but I know a lot of women and men who went to see it because they marketed it like most tent-pole movies: They made it a must-see event you want to be a part of so you can talk about it with people at work, at parties, etc.
          Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

If there's any real and appreciable Sex and the City backlash (I haven't encountered much in the day to day), I would bet only a small percentage is due to true sexism.

I've only seen the show once and only in part. The characters irritated the hell out of me. It's very possible, if I'd given the show a more generous chance, I'd have grown to love it. But, instead, the opinion stuck and I think it's very easy for this to be someone's first impression of the show and expected impression of the movie.
            Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

people like to say that entourage is SATC for guys, but entourage's point is to be superflous and superficial. it's supposed to fulfill the fantasy of being a celebrity. there's only a handful of people out there who can have that life, so it's effect on society is minimal.

SATC is NYC, it hits way closer to it's target demographic (single 30 something females) than virtually any other show. and so it acts as a representation of that subset of society, and what it represents isn't very good at all.
              Last edited by Qazworld; 06-05-2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Right now I'm working with a cast and crew that includes girls in their late teens, and they love the show. To the point where we were running late in rehearsal last week, and I was getting resentment that some of them might miss that midnight showing of SatC.

I let 'em go, of course... the last thing I need is a grudge-holding cast.

The point being that the demographic (and if you want to be paranoid, the influence) isn't skewed just to the thirty-something SWFs.
                "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

My wife loved that show and by default I had to sit through it with her during those years. I fell for it and became a fan, I'm a sucker for the older, sluty one, I forget her name. Anyway, the important note here is that I'm a chauvinist as pointed out by my wife last night when I heckled another WNBA commercial.

I didn't realize how bad I was until she looked at me and asked, "If you were dying on an operating table would you prefer a male of female surgeon?". I was supposed to say, "whoever is more qualified", that of course would have been the smart answer. I'm not very smart sometimes and needless to say, the only one left in the room that still wanted to cuddle after my answer was my trusting remote control.

I am man.

Comment

Originally posted by alveraz View Post
                    I'm a chauvinist as pointed out by my wife last night when I heckled another WNBA commercial.
                    Not chauvinism- fact, women suck at basketball.

Stick to Netball ladies.

Comment

Then again
                      Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.

Comment

I wasn't particularly psyched about the movie but I always watched the TV show. I guess it bugs me they turn everything into something else instead of making something original. I was also irritated at all the Sex In the City parties I kept hearing about. Too much hype.

That said, I went today and really enjoyed it.

I especially liked that a bunch of 40-50 year old women could have such a successful box office. I was extremely glad to have my money go toward that.

The only thing I don't particularly like is that they're so hyper-focused on shoes and clothes. I don't know any women who are like that, but maybe it's that I'm not so much of a shoe-shopping, dress-wearing, Prada/Versace kind of chick. Who knows.

Comment

"Sex and the City" the TV series was a revolution, yadda yadda, because it was one of the rare forms of entertainment that showed women in the flesh (and flesh), with all their vulnerabilities, anxieties and intelligence. But when you listen to men talk about it (and this is coming from the perspective of a male writer), a strange thing happens. The talk turns hateful. Angry. Vengeful. Annoyed. It's not just that they don't want to accompany their significant others to the movie. How dare Carrie and her girls hijack the box office during a time when the Hulk, Iron Man, Indiana Jones and the good old boys of the summer usually rule?
                          Uhh…who are these people he’s talking to? “How dare Sex and the City trump Iron Man?” Really? Are these grown men he’s paraphrasing? Has someone actually voiced this sentiment or is he being facetious?

For my part, I don’t like Sex and the City because it doesn’t appeal to me. It’s (obviously) a total chick show so I couldn’t care less about it. I do poke fun at it like I do with things that don’t appeal to me and have even reduced every Sex and the City episode ever made to: Carrie has an interesting experience. She relates it to her posse. They explore the issue each in a different but equally quirky way. They regroup at the end to share findings. Carries types on her laptop and has her trademark VO musings. End.

To the show’s credit, the times I’ve caught a fragment here and there, I’ve noticed the writing is/was pretty good.

Anthony Lane, of the New Yorker, called the women "hormonal hobbits, and all obsessed with a ring."
                          That was funny.

Were the guys who held up the "Iron My Shirt!" signs for Hillary the same ones who voted Sarah Jessica Parker the unsexiest woman alive?
                          I don’t know but I don’t think SJP is sexy (though I don’t agree either with having an “unsexiest woman alive” contest. That’s just in poor taste.)

All in all, though, the movie sucks. I can’t believe it trumped Iron Man.

Yes, I’m being facetious. In that last line, in case you had any doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakkal View Post
                            I don't know but I don't think SJP is sexy (though I don't agree either with having an "unsexiest woman alive- contest. That's just in poor taste.)
                            Sandra Oh was on that list and shes kind of hot... But yeah SJP is not sexy.

Comment

Sandra Oh was on that list? Damn. I thought she kinda had something going in Sideways.

Comment

Working...
                              X