Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is Your Blasphemous Remake?

What movie in your opinion should Hollywood keep their remake fingers off of?

I just heard David Goyer is redoing Soylent Green and I screamed a little... love his writing, it is the classic movie being manhandled I mean
    "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Re: What Is Your Blasphemous Remake?

I've reached the point where I just go with the flow... a remake doesn't cancel out the source material.

But I'm still frustrated most of the times, because it seems that -- inevitably -- those folks involved in the remake just don't seem to get what made the original special.

The Rollerball remake is a good case in point. Completely missed the satirical aspect and played counter to the original film's message.

It was all about the "JON-A-THAN. JON-A-THAN. JON-A-THAN. JON-A-THAN." and not about the implications of the crowds' chant.

But if the right person were to take on Soylent Green, that might not be such a bad thing. The original hasn't aged well, and it was sort of a mess even when it came out.

When you come down to it, most films made before Generation MTV are virtually unnwatchable to most folks under the age of forty. Besides, remakes are nothing new... it took three tries with The Maltese Falcon before they hit the Bogie version.

But I will admit that the announcement of Brett Ratner remaking Jaws would make my short hairs crawl.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I don't have probems with remakes in general. I wonder if people cared about re-telling plays in the first days of theater?

A lot of classics are lost on newer audiences because they become dated in a negative way. I think a remake is fine as long as that is the case but a lot of really great films don't (e.g. Dr. Strangelove) and they should be left alone.

As a writer, I would love to see my work performed by different directors and actors to see how other collaborators would interpret the storys.

Bot
      Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Nowadays a remake is hardly a remake...they just use the basic premise and throw away everything else. Like "Poseidon" or "Oceans 11" or "Pelam 123".

Comment

Which is a good idea since we already know the plot from the original. Now all that's left is to actually make a good film.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Blasphemous Remake?

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
            What movie in your opinion should Hollywood keep their remake fingers off of?
            It's already too late, but Hollywood deservedly got its fingers burned with its musical and colourful remake of LOST HORIZON!
            JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Any movie whose success is firmly rooted to a specific time, place or overall mood.

Rollerball is a great example. The people behind that remake had absolutely no clue - the original used that sport because of the growing popularity of the Roller Derby, and a projection that it would continue to grow and evolve.

To remake that in 2002, again using the Roller Derby, is the absolute height of stupidity. It would have been better to use the NFL or NBA as the base.

It's the same with other era-specific remakes like Bad News Bears, Stepford Wives, The Omen, Godzilla, Body Snatchers/Invasion (though due to increased national paranoia, the 70's version worked), Alfie, Planet of the Apes, etc.

So based on the inability of studios to recognize movies that rose to popularity due to the specific zeitgeist of the time, I'd wager that the next flop remake will be:

Breaking Away

Comment

I think it'd be moronic to remake Poltergeist, but they already are.
                "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

There are a number of stinkers I would like to see redone well.

In particular, I would like to see "Easy Riders" redone with more guns, action, stunts, and naked chicks.

With Nicholas Cage.

Comment

Back to the Future.

It'd be entirely pointless, certainly inferior, and will definitely happen one day.

Comment

Originally posted by vmf View Post
                      So based on the inability of studios to recognize movies that rose to popularity due to the specific zeitgeist of the time, I'd wager that the next flop remake will be:

Breaking Away

With dirt bikes.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                        Back to the Future.

It'd be entirely pointless, certainly inferior, and will definitely happen one day.
                        I'm cleaning the guns just for that day.

Comment

The thing is, it's always (well, most of the time) the lightning in a bottle movies that they try to remake. The gods were smiling on those productions and every tiny thing fell into place perfectly.

Generally, it don't work that way and most movies end up adequate. If they're lucky. Like the remake of Psycho. The original stands because of everything fitting together perfectly.

But the shot-by-shot remake failed. Mostly because of the casting of Vince Vaughn (who the minute you see him you can imagine him dressing up like his mother and chasing folks around with a butcher knife). And the baggage Heche brought with her.

The problem is, there's plenty of properties out there with great premises where nothing came together in the first place. Those are the films they should explore remaking.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                            The problem is, there's plenty of properties out there with great premises where nothing came together in the first place. Those are the films they should explore remaking.
                            they always claim Bullitt to be a muddled mess (take away the car chase) so this rides on the borderline with me: classic, but could use some deeper plot and please, no CGI or bluescreen sped up car chase
                            "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                              But then there's no "built-in audience" or "history of success" that studio execs can use to save their jobs.

Comment

Working...
                              X