Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade Runner

Last edited by Telly; 09-23-2008, 07:50 AM.

Re: Blade Runner

Originally posted by Telly View Post
    How would you guys react to a remake or sequel to Blade Runner?
    Do you know something we don't?

Comment

Same way I'd react to any other sequel or remake: I'd watch it.

If I like it... great.

If not... Oh, well.

I don't get hung up on the sacrilege crap.

And FWIW, I think BLADERUNNER is a story that could lend itself well to a remake. The original, for all it's cinematic glory and incredible world, had a patchwork narrative that got ground up in development and studio infighting.

The movie, IMO, is a style over substance film. I think it would be nice to see it remade. Maybe this time the narrative could be as strong as the cinematic wonder.

Probably not. The world Ridley Scott created is just short of miraculous, IMO. I think it's one of the coolest worlds ever created in cinema history, and I don't know if that magic can ever be replicated.

A remake would likely have a better story narrative to go along with the deeper themes, but it's unlikely that the artistry of the world can ever live up to the original.

But like I said, I don't get hung up on the remake thing. I'd like to see someone swing for the fences on it. Maybe they'll pull it off.

If not, the Original will still be around. It's not going anywhere.

Comment

I love love love the director's cut of Blade Runner, and wouldn't want a remake because I doubt a remake could improve on it. Remakes are often just attempts to make more money; there's not the same passion behind them.
        "Witticism"
        -Some Guy

Comment

Poorly.

Comment

No way. The things that make that movie amazing would never pass muster today--primarily the pacing of the film.

Comment

I didn't even care for the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                I didn't even care for the original.
                What do you think about the concept, though?

Personally, I think it has a great concept. Fantastic themes. And a brilliant world.

What I felt was lacking in the original (all the of the different cuts) is a strong story narrative.

From what I've read over the years, the script(s) were constantly re-written and chopped down to stay on budget. A budget that increasingly went toward art design.

It's an interesting scenario because what the story may lack in story, it makes up for in visual art design.

For me, the film transports me to that world. In a very profound way. The story doesn't do it for me, but the world and the visual art does.

That is why I think it could potentially make a good remake.

I'm thinking if someone with strong art design skills, like a Del Torro or Cuaron, helmed a remake, it could turn out amazing provided they were able to get a script with a strong narrative.

There were a lot of interesting things in early versions of the script that had to be tossed because of budget reasons. Scenes that could have tightened up the narrative while offering even more stunning visuals.

IMO, despite the incredible artistic qualities of the original, I think it was cut short of what it could have been story wise.

So, I would love to see a remake.

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
                  What do you think about the concept, though?

Personally, I think it has a great concept. Fantastic themes. And a brilliant world.
                  Are you thinking of the original movie or the DC?

The original, though flawed with excessive VO, has exceptional concepts and themes, such as what is it to be human, can a human love a replicant, etc.

But once Ridley changed the original novel/screenplay's intent and did a big "tomato surprise" ending that "Deckard is a replicant" that puked all over PKD's work, it all went out the window.

At that point, it's just a bunch of androids beating each other up and rolling in the sack, etc. and the screenwriter Hampton Fancher's commentary clearly outlined the pure idiocy of Scott's change in the recent re-release of the movies.

Comment

Remakes are almost always a bad idea. The Fog, Psycho, Thomas Crown Affair, Manchurian Candidate, Planet of the Apes, Sabrina. No way they're going to top the original. If you want to do a remake, pick a film that had a good premise but was executely poorly, like Oceans Eleven.

Comment

Remake would never happen. There's no director or studio out there gutsy enough to tackle a remake. Plus, there's no reason for a remake. As it stands it's one of the best science fiction movies ever put to film. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, kinda deal.

But it would be cool if some ballsy director took on one of K.W. Jeter's Blade Runner sequel novels, like Edge of Human or Replicant Night. Both of which were pretty darn good.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I disagree with the broke don't fix argument here.

I think the story was broke.

Everything else was brilliant. So brilliant it covered the broke story.

The key for a remake, IMO, is getting a director with incredible visual artistic sensibilities, but with a keen understanding of story.

I submit: Guillermo Del Torro.

And some of those remakes listed in an earlier post are pretty damn good.

Thomas Crowne Affair, Sabrina... You really have to fight hard to tell me the remakes weren't good movies.

That's my issue with this remake whining.

It's not about being better than the original. It's about being a good movie for the audience.

Do you all know that theJudy Garland WIZARD OF OZ is not only a remake, but a 3rd time remake. And there were multiple sequels prior to Judy putting on the ruby slippers.

Not only that, but there have been a few remakes and sequels since. Yet which one do we all remember when the title is uttered?

That's my point.

Who cares if there is a remake of BLADERUNNER. Whether it is good, bad, or just plain ugly, the original will still be there in all it's glory. If the remake sucks, it'll fade away.

If it's good, we'll be glad we saw it.

Comment

I'm in the "He's a replicant" camp. It adds a twist to the story and feels part of the structure. I haven't read the book, though.
                          "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneBlackFan View Post
                            I'm in the "He's a replicant" camp. It adds a twist to the story and feels part of the structure.
                            But the problem is, as Hancher and others have noted, that the "tomato surprise" ruins the movie for subsequent viewings, and like any change from the intent of the original novel and screenplay, a lot of what is presented beforehand makes absolutely no sense.

As Hancher says, only the original ambiguity worked, but Ridley confirming it is pure stupidity.

Comment

You mean Fancher? I thought his screenplay was not that good, the film was created in the editing room -- Rawlings did a great job making something out of pulp. I agree that Ridley should've kept his mouth shut. At first I was pissed that he confirmed it but I got over it.
                              "What's worse than being talked about? Not being talked about."

Comment

Working...
                              X