Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Knight To Be Re-Released For Oscar Push

Warner Brothers plans limited IMAX re-release in January '09.

DVD to be launched in December'08. Limits TDK's ability to equal or surpass Titantic's all time box office record...

http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...44022120080911

Re: Dark Knight To Be Re-Released For Oscar Push

Well, according to BoxOfficeMojo, it just needs to make another $87,959,158 to break Titanic's record.

Could it be done?

Comment

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
      Well, according to BoxOfficeMojo, it just needs to make another $87,959,158 to break Titanic's record.

Could it be done?
      I still haven't seen it yet so I'm good for $8.50, $17 if I take the wife
      "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

Take the whole street.

Comment

nevermind.
          sigpic

Comment

Could it be done?
            Nope.

Comment

Take the whole street.
              our street is 20 miles long, I couldn't afford that on Zaillian and Gilroy's last deal combined

Comment

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
                our street is 20 miles long, I couldn't afford that on Zaillian and Gilroy's last deal combined
                I'd hate to be the mailman for your street.

Comment

Originally posted by Authorized View Post
                  Warner Brothers plans limited IMAX re-release in January '09.

DVD to be launched in December'08. Limits TDK's ability to equal or surpass Titantic's all time box office record...

http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...44022120080911
                  There's no way that the amount of money they could make in theaters would exceed the revenue they would lose by pushing the DVD release until after Christmas.

It's still possible that it could surpass Titanic through re-releases and revival or midnight screenings, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they give it another push on Halloween weekend this year.

Comment

Warners is planning DVD before Christmas, but if they were smart... they'd hold it until summer of next year, or maybe Christams of next year. Throw the movie in cinemas a couple more times until they beat TITANIC.

They own the prints already.

I think much of the repeat viewing came from it being a good film in a summer with many cruddy ones, so if there was nothing showing this weekend that you wanted to see, you might see DARK KNIGHT again. And there are plenty of times during the next few months where a film like DARK KNIGHT might be the best film in cinemas. So why not pull it for a couple of months... then bring it back... and keep doing that until it beats TITANIC. The DVD sales will still be there.

- Bill
                    Free Script Tips:
                    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I'd hate to be the mailman for your street.
                      he's a bum -- it may even be more than 20 miles ha

http://www.wickedlocal.com/watertown...-start-in-2011

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                        Warners is planning DVD before Christmas, but if they were smart... they'd hold it until summer of next year, or maybe Christams of next year. Throw the movie in cinemas a couple more times until they beat TITANIC.
                        That might have been a good idea ten years ago. Now it would be throwing away hundreds of millions of dollars from the ancillary markets for the sake of a "box office record."

Comment

You think people will not buy the DVD if they hold it back? I think the DVD market is still there. This isn't a case where they need the momentum from the theatrical to sell the DVDs - people will remember the title... in fact, it will have been in cinemas. So why would they lose DVD money?

- Bill
                          Free Script Tips:
                          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

You think people will not buy the DVD if they hold it back? I think the DVD market is still there. This isn't a case where they need the momentum from the theatrical to sell the DVDs - people will remember the title... in fact, it will have been in cinemas. So why would they lose DVD money?
                            They would not begin to make revenue on the DVDs for another year. That would have a major financial impact alone. Then you can add to the fact that, yes, it would sell fewer DVDs a year and a half after its theatrical release, rather than mere months after it first became a cultural phenomenon.

So delaying hundreds of millions in DVD revenue for a full year, and also taking in less revenue as a result, in order to squeeze a few extra tens of millions in the theaters in order to achieve an honorary title regarding box office records, would likely result in mass firings at the top levels of the Warner Brothers company.

Comment

- Bill

I agree, but I'm a selfish bastard, so I don't want to.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X