• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheKeenGuy
    replied
    Re: Dark Knight To Be Re-Released For Oscar Push

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
    No one cares whether or not it will beat TITANIC except websites that post box office tallies. The point is that WB made a nice profit. Period.
    But why make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit off DVD sales in late 2008 when you can wait and hopefully make almost as much in late 2009 instead?

Leave a comment:

• roscoegino
    replied

Originally posted by Authorized View Post
    Warner Brothers plans limited IMAX re-release in January '09.

DVD to be launched in December'08. Limits TDK's ability to equal or surpass Titantic's all time box office record...

http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...44022120080911
    No one cares whether or not it will beat TITANIC except websites that post box office tallies. The point is that WB made a nice profit. Period.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

Maybe Fox can re-release Titanic at the same time, and make it a horse race. Or some other poor metaphor.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Isaac
    replied

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
    You think people will not buy the DVD if they hold it back? I think the DVD market is still there. This isn't a case where they need the momentum from the theatrical to sell the DVDs - people will remember the title... in fact, it will have been in cinemas. So why would they lose DVD money?

- Bill

I agree, but I'm a selfish bastard, so I don't want to.

Leave a comment:

• TheKeenGuy
    replied

You think people will not buy the DVD if they hold it back? I think the DVD market is still there. This isn't a case where they need the momentum from the theatrical to sell the DVDs - people will remember the title... in fact, it will have been in cinemas. So why would they lose DVD money?
    They would not begin to make revenue on the DVDs for another year. That would have a major financial impact alone. Then you can add to the fact that, yes, it would sell fewer DVDs a year and a half after its theatrical release, rather than mere months after it first became a cultural phenomenon.

So delaying hundreds of millions in DVD revenue for a full year, and also taking in less revenue as a result, in order to squeeze a few extra tens of millions in the theaters in order to achieve an honorary title regarding box office records, would likely result in mass firings at the top levels of the Warner Brothers company.

Leave a comment:

• wcmartell
    replied

- Bill

Leave a comment:

• TheKeenGuy
    replied

Warners is planning DVD before Christmas, but if they were smart... they'd hold it until summer of next year, or maybe Christams of next year. Throw the movie in cinemas a couple more times until they beat TITANIC.
    That might have been a good idea ten years ago. Now it would be throwing away hundreds of millions of dollars from the ancillary markets for the sake of a "box office record."

Leave a comment:

• Moviequill
    replied

Originally posted by doubler83 View Post
    I'd hate to be the mailman for your street.
    he's a bum -- it may even be more than 20 miles ha

http://www.wickedlocal.com/watertown...-start-in-2011

Leave a comment:

• wcmartell
    replied

Warners is planning DVD before Christmas, but if they were smart... they'd hold it until summer of next year, or maybe Christams of next year. Throw the movie in cinemas a couple more times until they beat TITANIC.

They own the prints already.

I think much of the repeat viewing came from it being a good film in a summer with many cruddy ones, so if there was nothing showing this weekend that you wanted to see, you might see DARK KNIGHT again. And there are plenty of times during the next few months where a film like DARK KNIGHT might be the best film in cinemas. So why not pull it for a couple of months... then bring it back... and keep doing that until it beats TITANIC. The DVD sales will still be there.

- Bill

Leave a comment:

• TheKeenGuy
    replied

Originally posted by Authorized View Post
    Warner Brothers plans limited IMAX re-release in January '09.

DVD to be launched in December'08. Limits TDK's ability to equal or surpass Titantic's all time box office record...

http://www.reuters.com/article/enter...44022120080911
    There's no way that the amount of money they could make in theaters would exceed the revenue they would lose by pushing the DVD release until after Christmas.

It's still possible that it could surpass Titanic through re-releases and revival or midnight screenings, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they give it another push on Halloween weekend this year.

Leave a comment:

• doubler83
    replied

Originally posted by Moviequill View Post
    our street is 20 miles long, I couldn't afford that on Zaillian and Gilroy's last deal combined
    I'd hate to be the mailman for your street.

Leave a comment:

• Moviequill
    replied

Take the whole street.
    our street is 20 miles long, I couldn't afford that on Zaillian and Gilroy's last deal combined

Leave a comment:

• MacG
    replied

Well, according to BoxOfficeMojo, it just needs to make another $87,959,158 to break Titanic's record.

Could it be done?
    Nope.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Isaac
    replied

nevermind.

Leave a comment:

• doubler83
    replied

Take the whole street.