No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Supporting Actors

Favorites?

You know those guys who'll never get a lead role but our still excellent actors, I feel as if there might be another name for them but whatever it is escapes me. Anyway, I've got three off the top of my head.

J.K. Simmons. (Juno, Thank You For Smoking, Burn After Reading)
    John Turturro. He count? Why not.
    Tim Blake Nelson. (O Brother Where Art Thou, Syriana)

Whenever I see these guys I know I'm in for something good, or at least that's what I've come to expect from them. Add on if you got one, I'm dying to remember others I've seen and know well but can't recall right now.
    Write.Sell.Repeat.

Theoretically...

Re: Best Supporting Actors

Ethan Suplee?
    The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

J.T. Walsh (Pleasantville, Red Rock West, Breakdown) was one of my favorites. Also guys like William H. Macy, Delroy Lindo, Stellan Skarsgaard, M. Emmett Walsh, Phillip Baker Hall, Clark Gregg, Steve Buscemi, Christopher MacDonald, Chris Cooper, Steve Zahn, David Strathairn, Bruce McGill, Jason Lee, Sam Rockwell, Dylan Baker, William Sadler, Leland Orser, Robert Patrick, Xander Berkely, Stephen Culp, David Morse, etc.

And on the subject, my least favorite Academy Awards trend of late is that they are giving Best Supporting Actor awards and nominations to actors in lead roles, like Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men. It is unfair for true supporting actors trying to make a living to be edged out in that way.

Comment

Sean Bean
        Ray Winstone
        Sean Pertwee
        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Character actors?

John Turturro and Steve Buscemi are my favs.

Comment

William Fichtner.

Comment

Originally posted by dexter View Post
              William Fichtner.
              Yup, been a fan of his since Albino Alligator.

Comment

two names: gary. oldman.

lock. thread. now.
                sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Comment

John Turturro (He and his brother Nick attended the same elementary school I went to, St. Clare School, in Queens, NY).
                  Steve Buscemi
                  Mike Madsen
                  Ethan Suplee
                  Jason Mewes
                  William Smith
                  Joey Pants (Joe Pantliano)
                  James Earl Jones (the king of all character actors, I say)
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Mike Madsen
                    He only plays one character though.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the squinty eye tough guy. He's like Clint Eastwood's Italian cousin or something.
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Isaac View Post
                        He only plays one character though.
                        Like when he cut off the whale's blowhole in Free Willy?

Madsen showed some real talent in supporting roles in the 90's, but opted to take starring roles in awful DTV movies instead. There's also a lot of reports about him being a drunkard, so that hasn't done him any favors.

Comment

Yeah but he brought something new to the table in Being Michael Madsen.
                          The end is too damn nigh.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                            Like when he cut off the whale's blowhole in Free Willy?

Madsen showed some real talent in supporting roles in the 90's, but opted to take starring roles in awful DTV movies instead. There's also a lot of reports about him being a drunkard, so that hasn't done him any favors.

Well, I can sympathize with that. The booze, I mean....not the blowhole.

Look, in his mind there's (2) actors that mean everything he is, and everything he can never be: Robert Mitchum(although, he's not as cool), and Kirk Douglas(obviously the deeper tough guy character, he can never be).

The thing is, he can't give us anything with his face. The face tells so-so-so much with the great character actors and actresses of all time.

Madsen's cool, don't get me wrong. I'd love to chat movies with guy, while watching naked women dance, but in terms of talent....dude is just a biker who tranlates the tough-guy persona well on camera.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X