Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rise In Low Budget Films?

Projects with big stars and big directors are getting turned down by studios because of inflating costs. Will this give rise to the low budget/no name actor films of the 70s?
    sigpic

"I'm gonna run ya ragged!"

"YEE HAWWW!!!"

Re: A Rise In Low Budget Films?

No. What makes money is what they make.

The *audience* decides what movies get made.

Look at the top 10 box office for last year (or this year) and that's what they want to make.

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Well if the economic downtrend continues, I believe the studios will want to risk less on big-budget films, and take more chances on low-budget films. There is a market that has been lost and sort of given up on in the last 10 years: The "Good Will Hunting" and "American Beauty" film model. A relatively low-budget film where they really worked on the script, made some smart casting moves, and promoted the movies intelligently. There is a lot of money to be made here. But it requires a lot more intelligence than simply saying: "Green Ogre with Mike Myers voicing - 100 million dollar marketing campaign". It requires patience and really thinking your approach through. Hollywood doesn't like to do that. But it's there for the taking if they're willing to take a chance.
      Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wilsoneads View Post
        Well if the economic downtrend continues, I believe the studios will want to risk less on big-budget films, and take more chances on low-budget films. There is a market that has been lost and sort of given up on in the last 10 years: The "Good Will Hunting" and "American Beauty" film model. A relatively low-budget film where they really worked on the script, made some smart casting moves, and promoted the movies intelligently. There is a lot of money to be made here. But it requires a lot more intelligence than simply saying: "Green Ogre with Mike Myers voicing - 100 million dollar marketing campaign". It requires patience and really thinking your approach through. Hollywood doesn't like to do that. But it's there for the taking if they're willing to take a chance.
        Exactly. And each year there is another LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE or JUNO to illustrate this. I'm often baffled at the way we consider the gross returns of a movie as a measure of success, without considering the huge budget (both production and marketing) and the saturation of motion picture screens. With a veritable economic meltdown in the making, I'm not sure that last year's grosses are a very good model (at $8.50 a ticket?). Not only that, but I have seen evidence that the age of digital projectors is very close at hand. This will mean more motion picture screens, lower ticket prices, and wider distribution for movies that the rest of the human race would like to see.
        "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Working...
        X