• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hasil Adkins
    replied
    Re: Book Of Eli

Originally posted by stuy View Post
    Hated it. It couldn't make up it's [sic] mind what kind of movie it was.
    Ironic considering your sig.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

Definitely congrats. I wasn't the target demographic, but it's very nice that it found it. I didn't read the script, but hopefully it was pretty much what you wrote, what you envisioned. That right there would coolness.

Leave a comment:

• umo
    replied

Originally posted by Gary Whitta View Post
    We had a very good opening weekend, even knocked Avatar off the top spot on opening day and earned a great A-/B+ CinemaScore from audiences. Thanks to all those who came out to support the film
    Great news, congrats.

Leave a comment:

• Biohazard
    replied

Originally posted by Gary Whitta View Post
    A-/B+ CinemaScore from audiences.
    Where the hell do they find those people? It seems they give every movie a B- or better. Even the most violently horrendous pieces of garbage.

Leave a comment:

• stuy
    replied

Hated it. It couldn't make up it's mind what kind of movie it was. The ending dragged on and on.

Leave a comment:

• NikeeGoddess
    replied

you got my 10 bucks!

Leave a comment:

• Gary Whitta
    replied

We had a very good opening weekend, even knocked Avatar off the top spot on opening day and earned a great A-/B+ CinemaScore from audiences. Thanks to all those who came out to support the film

Leave a comment:

• sppeterson
    replied

I actually enjoyed this one more than The Road. They're both elegiac, but I thought the human motivations were more convincing in Eli than in The Road.

Leave a comment:

• NePatsFan
    replied

I really found this movie sort of boring with a bit of flash here and there. I found the twist at the end extremely weak, and Mila Kunis's acting was laughable. Gary Oldman, good as always though.

I'd say mediocre at best.

Leave a comment:

• Laura Reyna
    replied

I was under the impression that there was another writer who worked on this-- even tho Gary got sole credit.

Maybe I'm thinking of another movie...

Anybody know for sure?

Leave a comment:

• Johnny
    replied

Well that's fine.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
    Saw it opening and enjoyed it a great deal, and as a response to your complaint(Spoiler Alert) Signal I'll just say that it's an If/Than statement that's being said that is fairly simple that you failed to get or you're overlooking.
    If I get what you're saying (and I think I do), then I did. Get it, that is. I just didn't think it worked. For me.

Leave a comment:

• Johnny
    replied

Saw it opening and enjoyed it a great deal, and as a response to your complaint(Spoiler Alert) Signal I'll just say that it's an If/Than statement that's being said that is fairly simple that you failed to get or you're overlooking.

Leave a comment:

• Signal30
    replied

It’s a nice-looking picture, in an aggressively ugly sort of way. Sort of like a spaghetti western with too much sauce. Although sometimes it feels like that's all there is in the moment. Lots of padding. It takes fifteen minutes to wander into the story and then there's lots of Eli moving in slow motion and high end music soaring. It almost seems to be embarrassed to be a pedestrian Mad Max with a Bible. Or maybe the directors were trying to make the padding look good. With the big reveal at the end, and trimmed down to an hour, the film'd feel right at home as an old episode of The Twilight Zone.

My main problem was that there wasn't any real conflict. Sure, people kept trying to take Eli's book away from him and he kept messing their shit up for trying, but... it's a book. Yeah, a very rare one, and with some amount of power. But it's a book. And as the big, goofy reveal shows...

HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILER:

... not one worth dying over. Actually, since he had it memorized, it was really, really stupid to die over it. And the bit about him actually being blind entered everything into unnecessary silliness. Served absolutely no purpose. Didn't mesh with what came before, either.

Leave a comment:

• EvilRbt
    replied

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
    No, he wasn't. EvilRbt was just saying that being replaced isn't necessarily bad.
    Thanks for clarifying that, jboffer. It cold and wet here in LA this morning, so I did wind up writing a post which discusses the topic:
    The Lost Patrol: And Being Replaced.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X