Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel for Dogs

Congrats to Donedealer Jeff Lowell & company on a good weekend's box office...looks like $20m for the four day weekend.

I admit I thought scheduling it in mid-January was not a good thing, but it turned out to be a great weekend for a lot of pics.

R.O.T.

Re: Hotel for Dogs

I thought it would have beat Notorious and Mall Cop... in fact I figured that Top 5 List would have ended the other way around
    "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

It has a long way to go to break even with a $75m budget.
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Code7Films View Post
        That number is wildly inaccurate.

Comment

Congratz Jeff.

My daughter loved it.
          The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

Perhaps Jeff or someone might have some insight into this...

The film should translate well into any language and therefore I would guess it could do well overseas also? Lisa Kudrow Friends reruns should be playing worldwide and Cheadle is probably better known in Europe than the states, so I would think some international box office would be forthcoming as well.

R.O.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Code7Films View Post
              Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
              That number is wildly inaccurate.
              This has me wondering: What is a more realistic estimate of the film's budget?

I was also wondering, if this film is wildly successful, will you be getting some gross participation? -- Or were you paid a flat price for the script?

And congratulations!
              "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

Congrats Jeff.

Whatever the actual budget, I've no doubt that the film will well surpass the $75 mill mark in foreign and domestic BO. I believe (and this is just a hunch having watched the BO numbers for years) that family films tend to have less of a drop off in BO after the first week than other films.

Comment

Good opening, but the box office would have been even higher if Mall Cop hadn't opened the same weekend -- a lot of the same audience.

Comment

I've got no points - it's very rare for writers to get them.

I'm not sure of the exact overseas prospects, but I remember the foreign people thinking that it would do well.

I'm not sure I'm supposed to share the actual budget, but it's much less than half of that estimate.

And yeah, Blart probably affected us - but everyone's happy with our number, and it's nice for the industry as a whole to see so many films make money at once.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      I'm not sure of the exact overseas prospects, but I remember the foreign people thinking that it would do well.
                      There's a massive poster hanging in my local cinema here in England.

Comment

Congrats on your success. Hopefully it keeps up this weekend!
                        I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

As a rescuer of abandoned dogs myself, got to love this film.

Congrats Jeff.
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff
                            . . . selling a script is almost impossible.

But then you have to realize, only one in ten scripts that sell actually get made.

Regardless of your opinions on the movie, it's a massive accomplishment.
                            5 out of 5 Dereks.

Corona
                            I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                            I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

How would a movie featuring dogs not do well. Based on the attraction level from MARLEY AND ME this will have legs. I'll be keeping track of it at box office mojo.

EJ

Comment

Working...
                              X