Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rachel Getting Married

I would rather skin my body alive than watch this again. I want you to imagine watching a wedding. A real wedding. No cuts. No time condensation. Just a big wedding, with a lot of people toasting. Big long toasts. Of course, you don't know any of these people. And therefore every one of their very long meandering words make you want to melt your brain in a frying pan. I want you to imagine a movie that prides itself on being 95% improv. Of obviously feeling that this makes it more "real" and "authentic." I want you to imagine a movie with no regard for story whatsoever. Actually shuns it. Actually wants you to know that it hates anybody even remotely looking for a story. I want you to imagine no tripods. No lighting. I want you to imagine a main character that's irritable, mean, selfish, and not likable in any way. That's Anne Hathaway's character. I want to introduce you to Rachel Getting Married.

I HATED this movie.
    Last edited by ScriptShadow; 03-10-2009, 09:28 PM.
    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Re: Rachel Getting Married

I'm with you there... can't imagine why anyone would enjoy deliberately putting themselves through something like this. I stayed all the painful way through (out of morbid curiosity) to see if ultimately there was a point to the thing, other than the whole slice o' life thing.

There wasn't. Wedding over, everyone goes home.
    "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

TV on the Radio SUCK!

Comment

Demme (sp?) said he wanted to make a high quality realistic home movie.
        Sounds like he did. Though why he would think anyone would want to PAY to watch one is beyond me.

Although most of the reviews here were reasonably positive, accepting it for what it was as Demme described it, there was nothing in the trailer that made me want to spend my $15.

Good to know I haven't missed anything.
        sigpic

Website
        Tweets
        Book

Comment

Originally posted by bed-and-bones View Post
          TV on the Radio SUCK!
          Admit they're not my bag, but I really like the video for "Wolf Like Me"...

My YouTube channel.

Comment

30 minutes into the movie , i stopped watching , im glad i did .

why r they shaking the camera like that ? its annoying , and un-natural .
            id accept it in movies like bourne , (that godzilla like movie) ...
            but why in rachel getting married ?

Comment

I still want to have Anne's babies tho.
              Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

Originally posted by paper-cut View Post
                its annoying , and un-natural .
                A little like molesting the English language.

I jest, but man, as someone who spends the best part of every day working with words it pains the fack out me to read in text message type.

As for the movie: I seem to recall quite liking it, but for the life of me can't recall why. Probably says quite a bit.
                twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

This movie was great. The dialogue was the most authentic I've seen for a wedding movie. It was shot all handheld to look like a home video.

It was a drama and it is pretty much just a slice of life. But it's also very truthful and very real. I loved it.

Oh and Ann Hathaway was sooo much better than Kate Winslet and totally deserved the Oscar.

Comment

Well, sure... it definitely nailed the verite. But why? A recreation of nothing special transferred to 24fps. About twenty minutes into it, I literally began to wander from the narrative and idly wonder how much an exposed frame of 35mm filmstock costs. And how many frames make up a reel...

Unless it was one of those projects that serve no other purpose than to score a couple of the folks involved a little gold statue.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

The great thing about reading scripts on line, for free, is that afterwards you feel like you don't have to see the film... you save yourself a few bucks, and, chances are, the script was better than the movie

ETA: that said, I do have a penchant for talky films where nothing much happens, I'm just not a fan of Ann Hathaway so far and I had no real desire to see the flick. Plus the reviews about the endless rehearsal dinner were a turn-off. The script reads pretty well though.

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! The rehearsel dinner!!!!!

I hadn't read the reviews but I'm so happy to hear you say they called them out on that. It was so awful. 5 people got up to give these endless speeches and they were all supposed to be awkward and weird. So we kept cutting (about 200 times in total) to the reactions of people at the dinner and it was like the director gave each one of them the exact same direction: "I want you to react like this is making you very uncomfortable." It was painful. Painful I tell you!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post

Unless it was one of those projects that serve no other purpose than to score a couple of the folks involved a little gold statue.
                          You nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                            Well, sure... it definitely nailed the verite. But why? A recreation of nothing special transferred to 24fps. About twenty minutes into it, I literally began to wander from the narrative and idly wonder how much an exposed frame of 35mm filmstock costs. And how many frames make up a reel...

I would argue there was more there than "nothing special" a lot of other movies have certainly said more. Agree to disagree I guess.

In a year of nothing special, I thought this movie was one of the better ones of 2008.

Comment

I haven't seen the movie, but thought this script was beautifully done. I read it a long time ago, but remember laughing and crying in the same scenes. That's tough to pull off.

Comment

Working...
                              X