Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seth Rogen, Observe and Report: 4O MILLION THIS WEEKEND

I like unlikeable main characters, but I didn't like this character or this movie. I think it's box office will be hurt because the movie doesn't know what it really is. Is it satire? No, 'cause there's nothing smart about it. Is it a comedy? No, 'cause it's not funny. Oh, there's some moments, but they're few and far between. It doesn't even classify as dark comedy. It thinks that just having a character be crazy, that makes the comedy "dark". And it pays no heed to actual reality, despite what quality says. Committing multiple felonies and assaults has no consequence in this flick. He's not even taking the right medication for his condition.

I wonder if Seth Rogen helped write this picture? I know Hill's name is the only one in the credits, but the movie's all over the place that I wonder if Rogen used his weight to help "define" the character. If so, I think that probably hurt the movie more than anything else. (And if not, well, as before, I'm an idiot.)

Comment

That describes exactly what I saw in the trailer. And since Rogen's a writer, I wouldn't be surprised if he tooled with this a little.
      Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
        I think it was hurt in that it had a complete a-hole main character. I swear there was nothing likeable about him.
        I thought he was more likeable in the trailer, though. That "what this world needs is a hero" line worked better there than it did in the actual movie.

Comment

I saw O/R and maybe it's my sick mind, but I really liked it. Seth Rogen was so unrecognizable to the point that one realizes this guy can definitely act!

There were a few unnecessary scenes IMHO, but who am I to say. While Anna Faris is always a pleasure, Collette Wolfe was a real find in this movie. I'd love to see her do more.

I did see BOMojo and they're saying just over $11 million for O/R for the weekend. I'd say it's an odd weekend with Easter and all, but Hannah Montana is thriving...

Of course, they are competing for the same audience
          Last edited by tucsonray; 04-12-2009, 02:12 PM.
          Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

I don't think OBSERVE was beat by MONTANA (though that would make a good headline) I think it was brought down by itself...

And, haven't looked at the weekend est yet - but 4FAST 4FURIOUS was in the #2 slot after Friday and headed to a $120 total after 10 days. So that's what the non-tween audience was seeing - even if they saw it last weekend, too.

I think there's a niche audience for movies like OBSERVE no matter who stars in them or how much you spend to make them. You may get a few more people into the cinema if you cast stars... but that doesn't change what the film *is*.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Saw this because a friend of mine told me it was the best movie of the year so far. (Grain of salt? Yeah.)

I laughed four times. There really wasn't a story here. Just a bunch of obscenities, music montages, screaming matches (the 'Fvck You' banter was funny but also way too drawn out), and blah blah blah.

In the end, I didn't hate it, but the film is extremely "ehhh".

Comment

I'm wondering if anyone here has even seen movies like Taxi Driver. What is likeable about Travis Bickle? Get your head out of blockbuster groupthink.

Comment

Originally posted by qualitycontrol View Post
                  I'm wondering if anyone here has even seen movies like Taxi Driver. What is likeable about Travis Bickle? Get your head out of blockbuster groupthink.
                  I've seen and loved "Taxi Driver", "Bad Lieutenant", "The Night Porter", "Man Bites Dog" etc...(the last one I thought was funny as hell). I don't think that the main character has to be likable in a movie but it helps if it's a damned compelling movie in the first place. I haven't seen this movie but I didn't find the trailers interesting, and I think that an "anti-hero" makes a comedy more difficult for people who want to laugh. Though I suppose a train wreck of a character could be fascinating to watch self-destruct.

Then again, not a "SuperBad" fan, not impressed with Mr. Rogen, so what do I know?
                  "Berne is the capital of Switzerland. It has seven times the size of the graveyard of Naples, but it's only half as funny."
                  Luciano di Crescenco

Comment

Originally posted by cerckl View Post
                    I've seen and loved "Taxi Driver", "Bad Lieutenant", "The Night Porter", "Man Bites Dog" etc...(the last one I thought was funny as hell). I don't think that the main character has to be likable in a movie but it helps if it's a damned compelling movie in the first place. I haven't seen this movie but I didn't find the trailers interesting, and I think that an "anti-hero" makes a comedy more difficult for people who want to laugh. Though I suppose a train wreck of a character could be fascinating to watch self-destruct.

Then again, not a "SuperBad" fan, not impressed with Mr. Rogen, so what do I know?
                    I love all those movies you listed as well. I've also enjoyed Jody Hill's other outings: "The Foot Fist Way" and "Eastbound & Down" but find it odd that all these, including "Observe & Report" are utterly detested on this board.

And yes, people think I'm stupid for thinking this was more down to Earth than other comedies, but come on. Watch any Will Ferrell movie and try to tell me it has more depth than any of those Jody Hill projects. You can't. It's like comedy has to be insanely off the wall or mundane (i.e. "I Love You, Man") for people to like it.

Spoilers--Personally, I really liked the whole bipolar angle and the character has aspirations, at one point, to join the police force. I do feel for Ronnie, coming from his background, and trying to do something. Be something great. Have a last stand. However, he can never rise above the Mall. I've known guys just like Ronnie. The movie felt true to me. The biggest problem with the movie was the ending bit and no, I don't believe he would've ever, in a million years, have gotten his job back or any of that. I imagined that must've been a result of test audiences pointing out, such as yourselves, that this movie is too dark, or not funny enough, or not uplifting. Or, it could've been a hallucination, a dream, a wish. I'd like to see the movie again. And, yes, again. Let me state for the record since you all agree: I'm an a s s h o l e for liking this.

It's sad when risky movies tank and people cheer on the flames. Hope you all love "Hannah Montana" and the "Fast & Furious" franchise. That's what you'll get from now on.

Comment

Lighten up, Francis. No one called you stupid or an a$$hole for liking this movie. Not liking this movie means nothing more than a difference of opinion.

SPOILERS

You want to believe that a guy battling dozens of cops and not seeing any jail time is realistic, that's fine by me. You want to believe that assaulting teenage skateboarders without getting sued is realistic, go with it. You want to believe that shooting an unarmed naked guy in the chest is realistic, more power to you.

But not liking the movie doesn't mean that we don't like edgy or risky movies. It just means that we don't think this is an edgy or risky movie. And it appears that none of us are changing our minds about it so let's call this horse dead, and move on. (That's a suggestion, by the way, not a command.)

Comment

And yes, people think I'm stupid for thinking this was more down to Earth than other comedies, but come on. Watch any Will Ferrell movie and try to tell me it has more depth than any of those Jody Hill projects. You can't. It's like comedy has to be insanely off the wall or mundane (i.e. "I Love You, Man") for people to like it.
                        QC. For what it's worth, I agree. I'm not sure that Step Brothers was a step up from Observe and Report, where at least they tried to give a little depth to the lead with his family and personal demons.

Still, what amazes me the most is that I kinda thought Seth Rogen was a one trick pony in the Apatow stable, but after seeing this film I would never have guessed he was the same cat who played Ben Stone in Knocked Up... kudos once again to him.

And as for me, I'm glad that Jody Hill attempts to deviate from the cookie-cutter-type characters we all too often see, and that he at least tries to give us a little spice with our oatmeal.

I also think that HaroldH makes a lot of sense... In the end, I guess this is why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors... and that's not such a bad thing.
                        Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Tough for a Rated R film released during Easter Weekend (unless it has biblical themes like PASSION). Has to be one of the reasons it performed below expectations. HANNAH is perfect for this time.
                          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by tucsonray View Post
                            I also think that HaroldH makes a lot of sense...
                            Based on this one statement, Tucsonray's judgement is questionable. Or, it's a sign of the Apocalypse; be on the lookout for locusts. Keep watching the skies.

Comment

I stood in line to see TAXI DRIVER when it came out... so?

What does a movie that was popular in the mid 70s have to do with the late 00s?

This film wasn't released in the 70s, it was released on Friday.

- Bill
                              Free Script Tips:
                              http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Yeah. Seth Rogen is a Rated R brand to begin with. That can hurt. And Pineapple Express's low returns did not help. By contrast, Paul Blart is PG, features a TV household friendly name (which is PG), made it to the mall cop premise first, and was released at a time when the economic news offered no glimmer of hope.
                                "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                                -Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                                X