No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seth Rogen, Observe and Report: 4O MILLION THIS WEEKEND

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
    Based on this one statement, Tucsonray's judgement is questionable. Or, it's a sign of the Apocalypse; be on the lookout for locusts. Keep watching the skies.
    ... Don't forget; I also liked Observe and Report! I fear that must say it all.
    Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
      I stood in line to see TAXI DRIVER when it came out... so?

What does a movie that was popular in the mid 70s have to do with the late 00s?

This film wasn't released in the 70s, it was released on Friday.

- Bill
      Oh? No, ****? Christ, thanks for the history lesson. I thought Taxi Driver came out in 2008.

Comment

It doesn't even classify as dark comedy. It thinks that just having a character be crazy, that makes the comedy "dark".
        This is what has kept me thinking about the movie long after I left the theater. If you are writing a "dark comedy," how silly can it get before it is considered "just" a comedy? This seems to be a very tricky sub-genre to define.

Comment

The problem with dark comedy is that a lot of times it's a cop-out... filmmakers go off on a screed and then when folks get offended, back off and claim it was just a dark comedy.

Sorta like those twitches that say something completely offensive in a conversation and then chuckle, "Just joking."

Haven't seen this, but I'm tempted. I like transgressive comedy, but only if I get the vibe that there's something going on beyond just shock value.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

I couldn't help but flinch when I saw the 10mil opening weekend results on mojo and variety.

EJ

Comment

Violence in and of itself - even that which occurs on screen - is not funny. Rather it's down to the director to make it funny, and Jody Hill's lack of stylistic smarts combined with Rogen's misguided decision to play it absolutely straight offer the viewer no reality buffer zone to relax into. Given authority, shown to be more than capable of handling himself physically and shot in unrelenting close-up by Hill, Rogen's Ronnie actually comes over as genuinely threatening, leaving the audience unsure how to react which is a catastrophic misstep for any comedy.

At no point does Hill offer any indication, either through the script or his flat, functional direction, as to why any of this is supposed to be funny. Rather he simply presents Ronnie engaging in a slew of ultra violent antics and simply expects us to laugh at them. Well, sorry, we need more than that.
              Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
                Violence in and of itself - even that which occurs on screen - is not funny. Rather it's down to the director to make it funny, and Jody Hill's lack of stylistic smarts combined with Rogen's misguided decision to play it absolutely straight offer the viewer no reality buffer zone to relax into. Given authority, shown to be more than capable of handling himself physically and shot in unrelenting close-up by Hill, Rogen's Ronnie actually comes over as genuinely threatening, leaving the audience unsure how to react which is a catastrophic misstep for any comedy.

At no point does Hill offer any indication, either through the script or his flat, functional direction, as to why any of this is supposed to be funny. Rather he simply presents Ronnie engaging in a slew of ultra violent antics and simply expects us to laugh at them. Well, sorry, we need more than that.
                Yeah. If you're dealing with an unorthodox protag, make him/her at least likable or relatable.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                  Yeah. If you're dealing with an unorthodox protag, make him/her at least likable or relatable.
                  Or, better yet, understandable. I think this was actually brought up in another thread awhile back, but an audience will follow an unlikeable character as long as we understand motivations.

I think the problem I had with the main character in OBSERVE was that the bi-polar disorder was the crutch. Quite frankly, he didn't need the crutch; I guess we were supposed to be automatically sympathetic towards him because he had a mental illness. He was a mental case, and it had nothing to do with any psychosis.

You know, I think NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE did it better.

Comment

I see -- so treated the right way date rape is funny. Nice.
                    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
                      It's funny because it sounded like everyone had a problem with this scene except Hill and all the actors expected the studio to cut it. I think I heard that in a BBC interview with the cast on BBC Radio

Comment

I don't believe anyone has stated this anywhere, have they?

Are you looking for someone to explicitly state that date rape is not funny?

Date rape is not funny.

Better?
                        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

I'm seeing this tonight, so I can't give my opinion on it, but I will say this insofar as this argument:

All the people I've talked to so far who are riled up about the scene in question HAVEN'T seen the movie. Almost all of the people I've talked to who HAVE seen the movie have been quick to point out that, in context, it's not date rape, even though there is something perpetually ugly about the scene.

Did you see O&R, sc?

Based on the discussion of this one, I can't WAIT to see it and offer my reaction.

Comment

Ugh. I'm gonna hate myself in the morning, but...

As Cycstorm mentioned, no one mentioned that particular scene. However, as much as I detested the movie, the "date rape" scene didn't generate any anger in me 'cause I didn't see it as date rape. I didn't find it particularly funny, just crude. But there was a moment when the Rogen character stops his thrusting. I took that to mean that she more than likely consented to the sex, then passed out. So Rogen stopped. Til she told him to keep going. Specifically, "Why'd you stop, m*****f*****?"

So I'm gonna say it's not date rape.

Comment

Originally posted by goosetown View Post
                              I'm seeing this tonight, so I can't give my opinion on it, but I will say this insofar as this argument:

All the people I've talked to so far who are riled up about the scene in question HAVEN'T seen the movie. Almost all of the people I've talked to who HAVE seen the movie have been quick to point out that, in context, it's not date rape, even though there is something perpetually ugly about the scene.

Did you see O&R, sc?

Based on the discussion of this one, I can't WAIT to see it and offer my reaction.

No - I haven't seen it. However I did read online discussion describing the male character having sex with a female chracter who is passed out cold and unable to consent.

As a woman this makes me more than uncomfortable -- even if they were married the wife has a right to be asked if she wants to have sex. Then she can say, "Not tonight dear, I'm about to pass out and wil remain in a near coma for several hours."

Though it never happened to me, I know of two women who woke up to find their boyfriends humping away on them. They didn't think it was funny either. In fact, they were horrified.

----

Cystorm --

The scene exists in a comedy -- if what I've read is correct, a number of people in the approval process thought it was funny enough to be left in.
                              Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Ugh. I'm gonna hate myself in the morning, but...

As Cycstorm mentioned, no one mentioned that particular scene. However, as much as I detested the movie, the "date rape" scene didn't generate any anger in me 'cause I didn't see it as date rape. I didn't find it particularly funny, just crude. But there was a moment when the Rogen character stops his thrusting. I took that to mean that she more than likely consented to the sex, then passed out. So Rogen stopped. Til she told him to keep going. Specifically, "Why'd you stop, m*****f*****?"

So I'm gonna say it's not date rape.

If they remedied it by having the woman in the scene wake up and say keep going it's still f-ed up in my opinion. Because it gives the impression a percentage of women like being fvcked when they're unconscious. Believe it or not -- some really stupid men get ideas from movies.

Comment

Working...
                                X