Museum beats Terminator at B.O.! A Sign Of The Times for Sci-fi action scripts?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum beats Terminator at B.O.! A Sign Of The Times for Sci-fi action scripts?

Why are producers worried?
    Terminator did not perform as expected as per Variety magazine.

I ask you this question --

Twenty year into the future. Do you think movies like "Night at the Museum" will still do well a the box office? And movies like Terminator: Salvation will flop due to the proliferation of advanced violent/realistic/thrilling video games.

If they are going to do action sci-fi films -- give us something we havn't seen or imagined. For example James Cameron's AVATAR.

And as an aside, why did the sci-fi action flick -- BABYLON A.D. -- flop?

How will Surrogates or GI JOE do at the box office? It won't be impressive.

Are the audience bored? I think we are.
    You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
    Paul Harvey
    -
    -
    -

Re: Museum beats Terminator at B.O.! A Sign Of The Times for Sci-fi action scripts?

Terminator Salvation is a very bad movie, and even moron teeny-boppers were texting friends to "Stay away! This SUXRZZZ".

Comment

Re: Museum beats Terminator at B.O.! A Sign Of The Times for Sci-fi action scripts?

Night At The Museum topped the box office because it's a kid friendly movie opening on a holiday weekend. What else is there to take your kids to? That kind of a movie will always beat a violent, sci-fi flick.

It had nothing to do with how good or bad Terminator Salvation is or how bored audiences are. Or do teens not go to bad movies? You could argue that teens go to bad movies because they are bored. Someone's paying to see films like Meet The Spartans or Epic Movie.
      Teach me a fact and I'll learn.
      Tell me the truth and I'll believe.
      Tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever.

- Native American proverb -

Comment

What are you trying to say?

Teenagers are the biggest movie demographic (T:S is a PG-13 movie), and their numbers far exceed those of "parents taking their little kids to movies", so why did Museum beat Terminator again?

Cuz Terminator: Salvation SUCKED and immediate word-of-mouth between teens was horrible!

Comment

My 16 year old daughter is a great barometer regarding what kids her age want to see. There was nothing they wanted to rush out and see this weekend, including Museum. I think that film's demographic was a bit younger. However, the teens can't wait to see Drag Me to Hell. Yes, it's rated R, but they'll get in somehow.

Comment

I wonder if the timing of T.S is too late. I remember watching the first Terminator as a teen and thinking, I wish they would make a prequel to this thing.

Well they finally did, 20 years later. The Terminators in between were good but too spaced out. Maybe the luster of this whole Terminator series had rusted a bit. This one is rated Pg13 but the audience who really connects to it is 30+ demographic. But if the movie just plain sux, then that explains why Museum beat it out.

Keep in mind, Museum is a family movie, which could explain the bigger office draws. Mama, Daddy, and the two kids all need a ticket. For example, I offered to take my wife to T.S. on Saturday, and she just frowned and said because it's pg13 there will be too many kids in the theater; but when our nieces and nephews came over to visit on Sunday, all of sudden she wanted to take them to see Museum. I didn't go because I was writing, too bad I wasn't writing a family spec.

Comment

At times I found myself asking...what's Batman doing in Terminator? Seriously Bale, change it up.

And I agree, you can take the kids to Museum, so the ticket sales were in their favor. Honestly, the only cool part of Terminator was when the rather life-like replica of Arnold kicked John Connor's ass. Nice effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
                My 16 year old daughter is a great barometer regarding what kids her age want to see. There was nothing they wanted to rush out and see this weekend, including Museum. I think that film's demographic was a bit younger. However, the teens can't wait to see Drag Me to Hell. Yes, it's rated R, but they'll get in somehow.
                Correction: Drag Me to Hell is PG-13.
                "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

It's not indicative of the genre.
                  It all boils down to the screenplay and especially the mother or all hacks...

MCG!

This turkey had the perfect franchise to transform (like they did with Trek).

But he just went on the low road.

If Star Trek opened on the same weekend at Museum, Trek would have blown he other movie completely away.

T

Comment

T.S. was fine. Nothing special. No story. But entertaining. Guess I went in with no expectations.

Comment

Sci-Fi, action, or whatever...people are staying away from T4 because of negative word of mouth, which was generated by how awful the film actually is.

Make a GOOD sci-fi action film and it will break BO records. The genre has nothing to do with T4's epic failure.

Comment

I did not think that T4 sucked. I also though Museum 2 did suck. Museum 2 was the same old crap while T4 was a decent story that played out kind of like an exciting live documentary. My .02
                        The Best Impersonation of Christian Bale Freak Out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5631H6KuE

Comment

Originally posted by Typewriter View Post
                          ...T4 was a decent story that played out kind of like an exciting live documentary.
                          Are you ******* kidding me?

Documentary?! That oriental-looking woman had freshly shampooed and deep-conditioned hair during a nuclear apocalypse.
                          Last edited by Biohazard; 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

T4 is the second worst movie I've seen this year.

Comment

I watched STAR TREK after work with 5 hours of sleep. The coffee did not help.
                              But during the screening, I was hooked and loved every minute of STAR TREK.
                              A stunning piece of modern day filmmaking.
                              ===============================================

I watched Blue Velvet a while back at Bloor Cinema in Toronto during 2 days
                              of deadly sleepless nights. The movie hooked me and got my undivided attention.
                              I bought a copy of the movie. This is an iconic and a noble masterpiece.

================================================

I watched T4, after a good night sleep, well rested. Sorry, the movie sucked 100%.
                              But would make a great graphic novel.
                              Is the graphic novel out yet?
                              ================================================== ==
                              You know what the news is. Now you're going to hear ... the rrrrest of the story!
                              Paul Harvey
                              -
                              -
                              -

Comment

Working...
                              X