No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are there no threads about Moon?

Moon is a GREAT FILM. Discuss.

Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=47770
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

There's been about 3 that I can recall. I haven't had a chance to catch it yet, but believe me, it's a must see for me. Heard so many good things about it.
      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Finally opened up here today so I'm gonna try to catch it early next week.

Comment

My mistake! I can't recommend it enough though. Brilliant performance by Sam Rockwell, great production values for the budget, and some really sharp, economical writing. Check it out if it's in your city.

Comment

Saw it a few weeks ago and liked it very much.

Comment

This is looking like a great year for science fiction: Moon, Watchmen, The Road, District 9, Avatar, and... ahem... Star Trek. And we can hope that Terrence Malick will get Tree of Life out in a theater or two by the end of the calendar year, in time for Oscar season. Who knows what I'll see at the film festival in a couple months. The jury is still out on Knowing and Terminator 4, so they're worth mentioning. Yup. It's a strong year. There have been years when the last two titles would have been stand-outs.

Of course, there is a cavernous black hole of suck created by Transformers 2 and 2012 threatening to zap all this great science fiction to the other end of the universe, but that's another matter altogether.

Comment

Saw it tonight. Excellent film. Second only to THE HURT LOCKER as my favorite this year.

sigpic
                NOTES / COVERAGE
                10,000+ Screenplays
                DD Thread Facebook
                [email protected]

Comment

Saw it last night. Had no idea what it was about when I walked in, beyond a single guy on a moon base. And, wow. What a fantastic and engrossing film. I loved it. It was great to see real visual fx, (models, not cgi), real characters, real emotions. A terrific homage to the great Sci-fi films of the 70's like Silent Running, Alien, Outland. There's even some 2001. Can't recommend it enough for filmgoers who are starved for thought-provoking science fiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                    This is looking like a great year for science fiction: Moon, Watchmen, The Road, District 9, Avatar, and... ahem... Star Trek. And we can hope that Terrence Malick will get Tree of Life out in a theater or two by the end of the calendar year, in time for Oscar season. Who knows what I'll see at the film festival in a couple months. The jury is still out on Knowing and Terminator 4, so they're worth mentioning. Yup. It's a strong year. There have been years when the last two titles would have been stand-outs.

Of course, there is a cavernous black hole of suck created by Transformers 2 and 2012 threatening to zap all this great science fiction to the other end of the universe, but that's another matter altogether.
                    I really cannot wait to see Moon. It sounds like my type of sci-fi movie -- hard sci-fi.

I know that I am in the minority, but I really liked Knowing. It was creepy and genuinely terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by Killgore View Post
                      I really cannot wait to see Moon. It sounds like my type of sci-fi movie -- hard sci-fi.

I know that I am in the minority, but I really liked Knowing. It was creepy and genuinely terrifying.
                      I liked Knowing. I know (heh) plenty of people who also liked it. Like any film, you only ever hear from the haters.

Moon and District 9 are really shaping up to be two very special films. I haven't heard of anyone not liking either film. It's just so great to see two, brand new, young film makers gaining all this praise for sci-fi films - both of which are not studio funded films.
                      @TerranceMulloy

Comment

I liked it because I like Alex Proyas stuff dating back to "Dark City".

Other than that, I liked it because it taps into what now seems to be the consciousness of our time: Impending Global Environmental Disaster.

A lot of people did not like the film because of the heavy-handed religious Christian motifs... But I find these people are the type who will find anything to bitch about just to bitch, sadly.

People forget sci-fi's major appeal is escapism.

SMART SCI-FI like Smart Action is so rare these days that is is nice when you can see a film that is not only fantastic (other worldly), but also escapist at its core. This is why I don't mind "2012". It's Roland Emmerich. The Michael Bay of Disaster Epics. Don't go in expecting "2001: The Year We Make Contact", or other smart sci-fi films.
                        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                          I liked it because I like Alex Proyas stuff dating back to "Dark City".

Other than that, I liked it because it taps into what now seems to be the consciousness of our time: Impending Global Environmental Disaster.

A lot of people did not like the film because of the heavy-handed religious Christian motifs... But I find these people are the type who will find anything to bitch about just to bitch, sadly.

People forget sci-fi's major appeal is escapism.

SMART SCI-FI like Smart Action is so rare these days that is is nice when you can see a film that is not only fantastic (other worldly), but also escapist at its core. This is why I don't mind "2012". It's Roland Emmerich. The Michael Bay of Disaster Epics. Don't go in expecting "2001: The Year We Make Contact", or other smart sci-fi films.
                          What, not a fan of The Crow?

You're right about the religious overtones turning people off. I heard from anti-religious people turned off on Knowing, deriding it as a rapture film, and Christians upset because it didn't portray the Bible stuff accurately and dismissed it as irreverent. You can't win when you interpret religious stuff. I just saw it as a fantastic movie.

And you're right about the rarity of smart Sci-Fi. The only smart Sci-Fi movies I can think of are 2001, Solaris, Blade Runner, Gattaca and Sunshine.

Comment

And you're right about the rarity of smart Sci-Fi. The only smart Sci-Fi movies I can think of are 2001, Solaris, Blade Runner, Gattaca and Sunshine.
                            More, off the top:

Solaris (Tarkovsky)
                            Stalker
                            La Jetee
                            12 Monkeys
                            The Quiet Earth
                            Alien
                            Aliens
                            Children of Men
                            Dark City
                            Timecrimes
                            Brazil
                            Altered States
                            The Fountain
                            Contact
                            The Terminator
                            Terminator 2
                            Minority Report
                            Total Recall
                            Hardware
                            Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Comment

Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                              Not to be cheeky but 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact are two separate films.

Comment

Working...
                              X