Why are there no threads about Moon?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why are there no threads about Moon?

    Moon is a GREAT FILM. Discuss.

  • #2
    Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

    http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=47770
    Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

      There's been about 3 that I can recall. I haven't had a chance to catch it yet, but believe me, it's a must see for me. Heard so many good things about it.
      @TerranceMulloy

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

        Finally opened up here today so I'm gonna try to catch it early next week.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

          My mistake! I can't recommend it enough though. Brilliant performance by Sam Rockwell, great production values for the budget, and some really sharp, economical writing. Check it out if it's in your city.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

            Saw it a few weeks ago and liked it very much.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

              This is looking like a great year for science fiction: Moon, Watchmen, The Road, District 9, Avatar, and... ahem... Star Trek. And we can hope that Terrence Malick will get Tree of Life out in a theater or two by the end of the calendar year, in time for Oscar season. Who knows what I'll see at the film festival in a couple months. The jury is still out on Knowing and Terminator 4, so they're worth mentioning. Yup. It's a strong year. There have been years when the last two titles would have been stand-outs.

              Of course, there is a cavernous black hole of suck created by Transformers 2 and 2012 threatening to zap all this great science fiction to the other end of the universe, but that's another matter altogether.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

                Saw it tonight. Excellent film. Second only to THE HURT LOCKER as my favorite this year.


                .
                .
                sigpic
                NOTES / COVERAGE
                10,000+ Screenplays
                DD Thread Facebook
                [email protected]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

                  Saw it last night. Had no idea what it was about when I walked in, beyond a single guy on a moon base. And, wow. What a fantastic and engrossing film. I loved it. It was great to see real visual fx, (models, not cgi), real characters, real emotions. A terrific homage to the great Sci-fi films of the 70's like Silent Running, Alien, Outland. There's even some 2001. Can't recommend it enough for filmgoers who are starved for thought-provoking science fiction.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

                    Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                    This is looking like a great year for science fiction: Moon, Watchmen, The Road, District 9, Avatar, and... ahem... Star Trek. And we can hope that Terrence Malick will get Tree of Life out in a theater or two by the end of the calendar year, in time for Oscar season. Who knows what I'll see at the film festival in a couple months. The jury is still out on Knowing and Terminator 4, so they're worth mentioning. Yup. It's a strong year. There have been years when the last two titles would have been stand-outs.

                    Of course, there is a cavernous black hole of suck created by Transformers 2 and 2012 threatening to zap all this great science fiction to the other end of the universe, but that's another matter altogether.
                    I really cannot wait to see Moon. It sounds like my type of sci-fi movie -- hard sci-fi.

                    I know that I am in the minority, but I really liked Knowing. It was creepy and genuinely terrifying.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

                      Originally posted by Killgore View Post
                      I really cannot wait to see Moon. It sounds like my type of sci-fi movie -- hard sci-fi.

                      I know that I am in the minority, but I really liked Knowing. It was creepy and genuinely terrifying.
                      I liked Knowing. I know (heh) plenty of people who also liked it. Like any film, you only ever hear from the haters.

                      Moon and District 9 are really shaping up to be two very special films. I haven't heard of anyone not liking either film. It's just so great to see two, brand new, young film makers gaining all this praise for sci-fi films - both of which are not studio funded films.
                      @TerranceMulloy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

                        Originally posted by Killgore View Post
                        I know that I am in the minority, but I really liked Knowing. It was creepy and genuinely terrifying.
                        I liked it because I like Alex Proyas stuff dating back to "Dark City".

                        Other than that, I liked it because it taps into what now seems to be the consciousness of our time: Impending Global Environmental Disaster.

                        A lot of people did not like the film because of the heavy-handed religious Christian motifs... But I find these people are the type who will find anything to bitch about just to bitch, sadly.

                        People forget sci-fi's major appeal is escapism.

                        SMART SCI-FI like Smart Action is so rare these days that is is nice when you can see a film that is not only fantastic (other worldly), but also escapist at its core. This is why I don't mind "2012". It's Roland Emmerich. The Michael Bay of Disaster Epics. Don't go in expecting "2001: The Year We Make Contact", or other smart sci-fi films.
                        Positive outcomes. Only.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

                          Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                          I liked it because I like Alex Proyas stuff dating back to "Dark City".

                          Other than that, I liked it because it taps into what now seems to be the consciousness of our time: Impending Global Environmental Disaster.

                          A lot of people did not like the film because of the heavy-handed religious Christian motifs... But I find these people are the type who will find anything to bitch about just to bitch, sadly.

                          People forget sci-fi's major appeal is escapism.

                          SMART SCI-FI like Smart Action is so rare these days that is is nice when you can see a film that is not only fantastic (other worldly), but also escapist at its core. This is why I don't mind "2012". It's Roland Emmerich. The Michael Bay of Disaster Epics. Don't go in expecting "2001: The Year We Make Contact", or other smart sci-fi films.
                          What, not a fan of The Crow?

                          You're right about the religious overtones turning people off. I heard from anti-religious people turned off on Knowing, deriding it as a rapture film, and Christians upset because it didn't portray the Bible stuff accurately and dismissed it as irreverent. You can't win when you interpret religious stuff. I just saw it as a fantastic movie.

                          And you're right about the rarity of smart Sci-Fi. The only smart Sci-Fi movies I can think of are 2001, Solaris, Blade Runner, Gattaca and Sunshine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

                            Originally posted by Killgore View Post
                            And you're right about the rarity of smart Sci-Fi. The only smart Sci-Fi movies I can think of are 2001, Solaris, Blade Runner, Gattaca and Sunshine.
                            More, off the top:

                            Solaris (Tarkovsky)
                            Stalker
                            La Jetee
                            12 Monkeys
                            The Quiet Earth
                            Alien
                            Aliens
                            Children of Men
                            Dark City
                            Timecrimes
                            Brazil
                            Altered States
                            The Fountain
                            Contact
                            The Terminator
                            Terminator 2
                            Minority Report
                            Total Recall
                            Hardware
                            Close Encounters of the Third Kind

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Why are there no threads about Moon?

                              Originally posted by WritersBlock2010 View Post
                              SMART SCI-FI like Smart Action is so rare these days that is is nice when you can see a film that is not only fantastic (other worldly), but also escapist at its core. This is why I don't mind "2012". It's Roland Emmerich. The Michael Bay of Disaster Epics. Don't go in expecting "2001: The Year We Make Contact", or other smart sci-fi films.
                              Not to be cheeky but 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010: The Year We Make Contact are two separate films.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X