Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scandinavian films - your favourite/s

Hmm, probably not going to be a very popular thread but I thought I'd toss this in here for those who may be interested.
    Anyway, for me, the Danish Festen is my all-time favourite (of those I've seen, obviously), followed by the Norwegian flick, Gone with the Woman.
    I could plug a few more titles here but shall refrain...
    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Re: Scandinavian films - your favourite/s

I was going with FESTEN as well. Along with TOGETHER (TILLSAMMANS)...

Comment

"Babettes gæstebud" (Babette's Feast")

Pretty good. You know -- for Danes.

Comment

Pelle the Conqueror, My Life as a Dog, Babette's Feast, the Seventh Seal, that's all I got off the top of my head. A few years ago I went to see a Norwegian film called "Kitchen Stories". For some reason the screening was filled with movie critics including the critic beside me who slept through the whole movie. Admittedly it was pretty boring. I always wondered how he wrote his review.

Comment

There are Scandinavian films?

Comment

My Life as a Dog http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089606/ is my absolute favorite. and i also loved this version of Pathfinder - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093668/but most scandi flicks are depressing.

lars von trier is my fav scandi director http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001885/

Comment

I'll be the first to mention Let the Right One In, which I guess has to be my fave Scandinavian film since I don't recall seeing any others.

I'm not sure I exactly liked it, but I found it memorable and I respect the choices the filmmakers made.
              "Your intuition knows what to write, so get out of the way.-
              ― Ray Bradbury

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlocks View Post
                I'll be the first to mention Let the Right One In, which I guess has to be my fave Scandinavian film since I don't recall seeing any others.

I'm not sure I exactly liked it, but I found it memorable and I respect the choices the filmmakers made.
                I made the mistake of watching this between 1 am and 3 am. Is a very effective horror movie. I was then terrified to take the garbage out, for fear that some ... THING would jump on me from low hanging pine branches.

Very creepy, stays with you.

My favorite Scandinavian films would have to be those of Bergman: Smiles of a Summer Night, Wild Strawberries.
                sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by peasblossom View Post
                  I made the mistake of watching this between 1 am and 3 am. Is a very effective horror movie. I was then terrified to take the garbage out, for fear that some ... THING would jump on me from low hanging pine branches.

Very creepy, stays with you.

My favorite Scandinavian films would have to be those of Bergman: Smiles of a Summer Night, Wild Strawberries.
                  Ditto the love for Let the Right One In, ditto also the love for Bergman. Although my favorites are probably Through a Glass Darkly and Persona. And Seventh Seal I suppose, but I've only seen it once.

Lars von Trier/Jorgen Leth's "The Five Obstructions" is another personal favorite.

Comment

Since no one's mentioned the following:

Show Me Love
                    Lila 4 Ever
                    Everlasting Moments
                    The pusher trilogy from Denmark

Comment

Ingmar Bergman's SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE although it's probably not most people's cup of tea. 3 hours of basically a couple talking, long static takes and close-ups of their faces, sort of radical filmmaking in that sense. But once you let go of what your expectations of a film are, you can sit back and relax and just get to know two people for a little bit, as they go through domestic bliss, conflict, affairs, divorce and then friendship.

Comment

Originally posted by beerbeastredux View Post
                        There are Scandinavian films?
                        lol.

And I don't mean that in a culturally naive way. Over the years I've travelled to quite a few places in the world, yet it's something I simply don't think about. Scandinavian films, now there's a novel idea.

As far as I know, I've only watched two. Dead Snow and Let The Right One In.

Anyone know of any other Scandinavian horror/thrillers worth checking out?
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by rakkasan View Post
                          The pusher trilogy from Denmark
                          Haven't seen the Pusher trilogy although I've heard good things.

Also have heard good things about the director's (Nicolas Winding Refn) latest (Bronson) and upcoming (Valhalla Rising), both of which have awesome trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJ1c3qxOWc

http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/ladi...sing-trailer-/

Mads Mikkelsen is a badass.

Comment

I saw a terrific Danish thriller on DVD last night, "Just Another Love Story". Compelling, beautifully-told, exquisitely-photographed.

I recommend it heartily.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance Mulloy View Post
                              As far as I know, I've only watched two. Dead Snow and Let The Right One In.
                              You need to watch some Bergman and some Lars Von Trier!

Scandinavia is one of my blind spots when it comes to international cinema, but Bergman is a master. Check out a few of his films!

Comment

Working...
                              X