Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Play

Watched it last night. Loved it. Great writing. Recommend.

Re: State of Play

I liked it as well. I remember hearing Brad Pitt and Edward Norton were originally attached -- but bailed out. The Fight Club reunion would have been cool. The ending lost a little steam but it was very well acted and made.

Comment

Looking forward to watching...next on my Netflix queue.

Comment

I thought it was great. Loved Russell Crowe, thought Ben Affleck was a little bland.

I think Edward Norton would have been better.

Did y'all watch the miniseries? I forget how many episodes it is.....maybe 6-7? but it was fantastic also.
        HL

Comment

I thought it was awful. Brad Pitt was a genius for bailing on the pic. The story was one big, fat contrivancy after another. The worst was Ben Affleck's character blubbering before the hearing he was presiding over (and in front of the press, no less!!!) that the girl who worked in his office -- and whom he was banging -- was killed.

No way in hell would a person in his position ever have done that! As it is, it was just a painfully lame mechanism to get the story rolling.

Comment

I enjoyed it, mainly due to Crowe's performance, but the memory of the much better TV series was too fresh in my mind to give it a big wrap.
            TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

And here I thought I was the only one. Great story.
              I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

i liked it all they way up until the final twist. just one twist too many kinda made it not so real and believable.

Comment

This was actually one of the one movies I literally fell asleep to. But mind you, I was laying on my couch and I just polished off 8 cookies with a huge glass of milk.

Me thinks I should watch this again.

Comment

It got 86% fresh at rotten tomatoes and grossed about 86 mil. I'd say critics and fans liked it. Clearly, the filmmakers did something right. I did think Affleck was terrible and he almost ruined the movie. Him crying at the courtroom scene was a soap opera performance at best. Crowe and McAdams saved the movie in my opinion. Nonetheless, it's a good case study for a successful political thriller. I think the theme of newspapers vs. bloggers was handled wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by nuvuefilms View Post
                      It got 86% fresh at rotten tomatoes and grossed about 86 mil. I'd say critics and fans liked it. Clearly, the filmmakers did something right. I did think Affleck was terrible and he almost ruined the movie. Him crying at the courtroom scene was a soap opera performance at best. Crowe and McAdams saved the movie in my opinion. Nonetheless, it's a good case study for a successful political thriller. I think the theme of newspapers vs. bloggers was handled wonderful.
                      It only grossed about $37M in this country and was considered a massive failure.

In fact, its failure despite critical acclaim has been pointed to as one of the big reasons that studios are vetoing adult dramas by and large at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                        It only grossed about $37M in this country and was considered a massive failure.

In fact, its failure despite critical acclaim has been pointed to as one of the big reasons that studios are vetoing adult dramas by and large at the moment.
                        ...Yet when Oscar season rolls around this (critical acclaim) is what the studios want more than anything.

Is it me, or is it getting ironic in there (Hollywood)?
                        Positive outcomes. Only.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
                          I thought it was awful. Brad Pitt was a genius for bailing on the pic. The story was one big, fat contrivancy after another. The worst was Ben Affleck's character blubbering before the hearing he was presiding over (and in front of the press, no less!!!) that the girl who worked in his office -- and whom he was banging -- was killed.

No way in hell would a person in his position ever have done that! As it is, it was just a painfully lame mechanism to get the story rolling.
                          I think it was based on the Gary Condit / Chandra Levy thing. So it's really not THAT implausible. I thought Crowe was good as the disheveled reporter.
                          "People spend so much time focusing on rescuing the princess, they forget how much fun it is to fight the dragon."
                          - Simon Pegg & Nick Frost, DAVE

Comment

Crowe was alright, but pretty much everyone else was awful. Affleck as Crowe's college classmate? Um, c'mon.

Nice to see Robin Wright Penn in a movie, even if it was an awful part.

I like Jason Bateman, but he was awful too.
                            "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

It was terrible casting. I pu that aside and still enjoyed it. Russell was fine but the rest
                              I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Working...
                              X