Mel Gibson - a glove puppet - and a sick sexual act!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mel Gibson - a glove puppet - and a sick sexual act!

http://splashnewsonline.celebuzz.com...on-beaver.html

As Danny Glover said in Lethal Weapon 2:

"I'm getting too old for this sh*t!"

Re: Mel Gibson - a glove puppet - and a sick sexual act!

I really liked the script except it dragged on too long. I wish Steve Carell was playing the lead. That was the movie I saw in my head.

Comment

I think Gibson's career is dead. He got too much bad press over his drunken arrest, his Jew-hating rant. And I can't see him winning new fans starring in a movie where his hand, quite literally, is up a puppet's rear end. The whole thing is surreal. Maybe it's so bizarre it will work but I doubt it.

Comment

LOVED the Script.

Anyone disappointed by the Beaver though?

I had him down as a small hand-puppet. The kind of flimsy-fabric puppet.

Not a full on animatronic-looking cuddly-toy.

And they got the eyes wrong. I had it in my head (and I think it's described as such) as black beads. I prefered the idea that you couldn't really convey too much emotion. That the Black beads just stare lifelessly back.

I guess the problem is this Beaver looks to much like... A Beaver.

Added to the fact that it feels hopelessly miscast.

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger View Post
          LOVED the Script.

Anyone disappointed by the Beaver though?

I had him down as a small hand-puppet. The kind of flimsy-fabric puppet.

Not a full on animatronic-looking cuddly-toy.
          Agreed.

I was not a big fan of the script. I felt it was an American Beauty rip-off, basically.

But Mel has generally good instincts (when he ain't drunk). Has he ever made a stinker?

So for that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if this works.

Comment

I also thought Steve Carell was doing this.

Anyway, haven't read the script so I shouldn't pass judgement.

They could change the title to "Beaver and Butthead".

Just kidding.
            The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense - Tom Clancy

Comment

Good to know the franchise is back on track:

http://www.mypicx.com/uploadimg/7852...10012009_1.jpg

Comment

Yeah that's not what I expect a puppet found in a dumpster to look like. Unless it was the dumpster behind Jim Henson Company or something.

Comment

Yeah that's not what I expect a puppet found in a dumpster to look like.
                  You have to applaud the studio. In the current recession it would be irresponsible to spend millions creating a CG glove puppet so they've gone the practical route. And it does look super realistic too. They must have spent at last five dollars creating it.

Comment

Originally posted by winter dreams View Post

But Mel has generally good instincts (when he ain't drunk). Has he ever made a stinker?
                    The Singing Detective
                    "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

I like the puppet...People pull great things out of the trash all the time. Maybe it was thrown in there five minutes before Mel finds it...I like that it's cute cuz it should work well as the puppet gets more sinister. I like Gibson in this role too...I can see Gibson sawing his arm off. Can't see Carell doing that.

Comment

I'm hoping they change some things and rework them. The relationship between Walter and his son Porter didn't seem well fleshed out and not explored deep enough - I was expecting more of a "World's Greatest Dad" vibe between father and son.

I didn't feel like the Beaver gave Walter a sense of who he really was. In the script, it just happened suddenly. There's no real insight to who Walter was before he became depressed and why in fact he really did choose this puppet to act through. I would have made Walter maybe a Puppet TV show producer, or a manufacturer of some sort of famous puppet, who finally cracks and sees his life through the eyes of a puppet. There would be such a great dynamic there, but with Walter as a Toy company CEO, it just felt a tad off.

The story just didn't have enough BOOM to it. It wasn't heavy enough, but certainly was an enjoyable read. I wanted to see more layers between him and his wife, but it never came through. But overall, it's certainly a good read and I can see why this was the hottest spec script of 2008. A definite page-turner.

Without giving anything away, Porter's commentary at the end was spot on for the most part, but some of his commentary felt empty because we hadn't seen or felt what he was truly trying to tell the audience.

I expect Jodie and Mel to put a decent effort out for this and for that, I'm excited to see the final product.

And yes, I couldn't read one page without thinking of Steve Carell for this.

Comment

Since the MC works at a toy manufacturer, a hand puppet is a pretty easy thing to conveniently use. It doesn't have to be from a dumpster like the earlier script.

I too couldn't think of anyone but Steve Carrell for the role when I read the script.

But then it went all dark with him cutting off his hand. I think it would be better without that scene.

Mac
                          New blogposts:
                          *Followup - Seeking Investors in all the wrong places
                          *Preselling your film - Learning from the Experts
                          *Getting your indie film onto iTunes
                          *Case Study - Estimating Film profits

Comment

I'm pretty sure Carell passed on this because this is very similar to "Dan in Real Life". Same vibe, same character with a mid-life crisis trying to find himself. Ultimately, I think it's best that Carell didn't get involved with this because we would have seen this before from him and with Steve, we always want something new and fresh so he can shine.

Comment

I don't think Carell passed on this...I think he fell out of it when other parties were switched around...same thing with Jim Carrey who was suppose to play the part after Carell.

Comment

Working...
                              X