Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couples Retreat

Couples Retreat is an unapologetically terrible mess of a film. I think Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn are brilliant, but they whore themselves out to too many half-assed projects. And I'm tempted to put a lot of blame on their shoulders--they both have writing credits on the movie! What are they thinking?

Now here's a twist. I haven't actually seen the movie. And I'm not going to. But I'm still right within a 99.99% certainty, and that's statistically significant enough. Not only is it one of the worst trailers of the year (I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell was pretty bad), every bit of press on it has been negative. How can you put Vince Vaughn in a movie and not deliver even one laugh in the trailers? It depresses me. I'll be extremely impressed if just one person on DD sees it and enjoys it.

I hope this movie earns zero dollars.

Re: Couples Retreat

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
    Couples Retreat is an unapologetically terrible mess of a film.
    Now here's a twist. I haven't actually seen the movie. And I'm not going to. But I'm still right within a 99.99% certainty, and that's statistically significant enough.
    I hope this movie earns zero dollars.
    Not cool.
    twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

won't waste ten bucks on this, but would love to check out the script.

only review I've seen, Entertainment Weekly, gave it a B-.

but it does look terrrrrblle.

saw an interview with Billingsley that was kinda fun -- to see him all grown up
      with both eyes intact was reassuring.
      Last edited by beejay; 10-07-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Seems annoyingly predictable.
        "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/couples_retreat/

8% so far

It contains little comedy, except for free-standing one-liners, and no suspense, except for the timing of the obligatory reconciliation. It doesn't even make you think you'd like to visit its island paradise.-Ebert
          I read to the first typo

-Hollywood agent

Comment

Pass. I rather watch "Indian Summer" again, which is "The Big Chill" meets "Meatballs". Stars Bill Paxton, Diane Lane, Kevin Pollak, Elizabeth Perkins, Kimberly Williams, Alan Arkin and Sam Raimi
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I think it looks hilarious.
              https://twitter.com/#!/moviewriterJeff

Comment

Originally posted by -XL- View Post
                Not cool.

Comment

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing it. I love Jean Reno, and I think Vince Vaughn can be funny. Am I expecting a great piece of cinema? Heck no. I'd go to the closest répertoire movie theatre for that. My expectations going in are pretty low, not in a negative way, just a realistic way. Meaning it looks fluffy. And on a Friday night, after a long week at work, fluffy sounds pretty darn good.

Comment

You'll have to let us know how painful it is, Seshatcub

Comment

I'll probably catch it on DVD, just so that once we're married I won't have to lie to Kristen Bell about having seen all of her work.

Comment

I actually liked The Break Up way more than I thought I would. Maybe that's why I liked it.

And it not having the happy ending where they get back together, but leave it open that they might. made it work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinnycal View Post
                          I'll probably catch it on DVD, just so that once we're married I won't have to lie to Kristen Bell about having seen all of her work.
                          That's like me and Ellen Page.

Comment

Originally posted by Landis26 View Post
                            I actually liked The Break Up way more than I thought I would. Maybe that's why I liked it.

And it not having the happy ending where they get back together, but leave it open that they might. made it work for me.
                            -----------------------

that street run in was actually a re-shoot to give it more of a happy ending after big thumbs downs for the original ending at test screenings.

as originally shot, they break up and thats it. No open door, no we're okay with each other run in on the street.

(Which unfortunately happens way too often in a urban walking city like Chicago!!!)

Word is Vaughn was also lobbying for writing credits on Fred Claus after he and the director would rewrite the next days scenes the night before.

(not that they were rewriting anything that was good. prob made it slightly better, but still subpar)

Funny jokester with a one-liner. Not a screenwriter by any means. Surprised JF couldnt come up with some better material tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Shurtleff
                              I heard an interview with Vince Vaughn on the Jim Rome Show yesterday.

He said the idea for the script was his. He then told Jon Favreau about it.

Jon wrote the first draft and then they did a rewrite.

I think I may have mentioned once or twice that that's the way you can do this.

Jeff Shurtleff
                              Nice! A fellow clone.

I heard it too. Vince is great.

Comment

Working...
                              X