Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Couples Retreat

So I went to see the movie... I can understand why the reviews weren't that good. Yes, the story is formulaic and forced, quite a few extraneous scenes (and a draggy third act), total deus ex machina in the end for at least one couple, some not so subtle -- or successful -- attempts at being "deep" and oh the product placement!

All this being said, we went two couples, and the four of us had a good time. Keep in mind that all four of us were exhausted and looking for fluff. We all laughed, thanks to a great cast. I really felt like the actors connected with their characters making them lesser caricatures. I don't regret seeing it and time flew while I was watching it. So I wouldn't dissuade someone from seeing it, but I wouldn't recommend it either.

Comment

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
      The sad part is... the PG-13 strategy worked. A clearly inferior product, with a watered down rating, and it takes a massive victory at the box office.
      ------------------------------------------------------

Help me out here--I'm 31 and grew up a couple miles outside Chicago, so I went to a myriad of theaters as kid--and I cant ever remember not being sold a ticket to an R-rated movie even tho I was clearly under 18.

Have theatres been really cracking down the last 10 years on making sure kids don't see R movies?

Comment

Interesting point, GWMARK... I was thinking the same thing myself and I don't have an answer for you... but what I do know is that I essentially saw The Hangover and The Proposal back to back on successive Friday nights and while we don't need to continue to throw roses at the BO for both of these, the proposal drew a HUGE number of 50+ viewers who I believe are primed for the old time 80s style PG-13 comedy films.

At least in my experience this group was absent from The Hangover (probably the only group absent) but there did seem to be some teens, perhaps under 17, who made it in.

PS... used to live in South Bend and spend many a great day in Chicago (and the Woodfield Mall)

Originally posted by Great White Mark View Post
        ------------------------------------------------------

Help me out here--I'm 31 and grew up a couple miles outside Chicago, so I went to a myriad of theaters as kid--and I cant ever remember not being sold a ticket to an R-rated movie even tho I was clearly under 18.

Have theatres been really cracking down the last 10 years on making sure kids don't see R movies?
        Seven years dungeon --- no trials!

Comment

Whenever I watch a trailer and have to ask myself "so what's the plot?" even after thinking about it for a while, I tend to avoid that film.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some avoiding to do.

Originally posted by jboffer View Post
          The sad part is... the PG-13 strategy worked. A clearly inferior product, with a watered down rating, and it takes a massive victory at the box office.
          Sad.

The script I'm working on now, I'm shooting for PG-13. Not because of your example of a marketing strategy, but because I tend to make my characters swear...a lot. Figured I'd try for emphasis in dialogue without the easy way out.
          Last edited by Biohazard; 10-13-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

well recently i dont think critics have become out of touch with audiences (re: mine) taste. couples retreat looks like one of those movies that could be for audiences and not critics but then again, its the same guy behind the breakup.

Comment

Caught this tonight. Was rather surprised by it. It's not perfect by any means, but contains plenty of laugh moments. I was very surprised by the audience who turned up to see it. Almost a packed theatre. Guess word-of-mouth is picking up.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
                Caught this tonight. Was rather surprised by it. It's not perfect by any means, but contains plenty of laugh moments. I was very surprised by the audience who turned up to see it. Almost a packed theatre. Guess word-of-mouth is picking up.

EJ
                Comedies are really kicking butt this year.

Comment

Working...
                X