Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar - The Movie

Just saw this (by Anna Boden and her husband) because it is the type of movies that I would like to make.

Two short questions - one easy, one tricky.

1) The midpoint is when Sugar gets injured right? Because that's when his pitching skills drop down a notch which forces him to reflect on being a baseball player.

2) Trickier, I think. In Michael Hauge's world - what is the end goal here for the hero? (Remember him? He states that you need a visible finish line. You need to have a story about stopping or retrieving, or escaping, or winning.)

Ok, originally, the hero's goal is to be a major league pitcher in the U.S., right? But doesn't this change after his injury? So what would be his tangible goal then? Would Hauge allow for a change of goal within a movie? Or do I have the wrong goal to begin with?

Re: Sugar - The Movie

Originally posted by midwstwriter View Post
    Just saw this (by Anna Boden and her husband) because it is the type of movies that I would like to make.

Two short questions - one easy, one tricky.

1) The midpoint is when Sugar gets injured right? Because that's when his pitching skills drop down a notch which forces him to reflect on being a baseball player.

2) Trickier, I think. In Michael Hauge's world - what is the end goal here for the hero? (Remember him? He states that you need a visible finish line. You need to have a story about stopping or retrieving, or escaping, or winning.)

Ok, originally, the hero's goal is to be a major league pitcher in the U.S., right? But doesn't this change after his injury? So what would be his tangible goal then? Would Hauge allow for a change of goal within a movie? Or do I have the wrong goal to begin with?
    Saw Sugar this summer at the Traverse City FF. If memory serves, I thought his drug/alcohol use and character weakness had as much to do with his failure as his physical injury. In fact, it could be argued that his failure to maintain his health and fitness led to his injury. I think as Sugar got a taste of stardom, his end goal wasn't so much to excel in baseball, but to lead the life that has led several others to ruin. That's the tragedy, he really lost his fire and ended without a tangible goal.

Comment

I think it was just the pressure. He liked playing baseball, but didn't like the pressures being put upon him, let alone being in an environment that was filled with hypocrites (i.e. the Christian girl).
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by midwstwriter View Post
        Would this be the difference between the external goal the protag thinks they need and the internal goal they actually need?

So while the protag works towards the external goal they also change internally and come to realize and make a choice about acheiving an inner goal that will make their life better. And often they can only achieve the external goal by achieving the internal goal, or they can only achieve the inner goal by walking away from the external goal - depending on the story.

I tend to think of the external goal as the symbol used to reflect the internal journey of the protag.
        826dk

ARTicles: Kick Your Creative A** Into Gear

DK - Script Revolution

Comment

That's why this was an indie film rather than studio. It's got an unconventional structure, no real antagonist (the conflict is internal, as previous poster stated), and its not a Hollywood happy ending. It was a strong and authentic character driven piece with a believable arc.

Comment

Great insights about the internal/external goals. Pas, why don't you think this is a Hollywood ending? The protagonist finds a happy life in this country with a job, a girlfriend and new friends. Isn't that enough?

Comment

I just mean that if Disney had produced it Sugar would have found his game again, gone back to the majors and become a major star. But I preferred this ending which was much more authentic. Again, this was a much more character-driven approach that's done more often in indie film than bigger budget studio fare.

Comment

Haven't seen it, but you can do anything you want if you fund the movie yourself and make it yourself. Anything.

Then it's up to the folks who run fests and the folks who distrib films to decide.

- Bill
                Free Script Tips:
                http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                X