Classic films that just don't interest you.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Classic films that just don't interest you.

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
    THE BEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES is one of those movies that you don't think you'll like, and then you're shocked at how good it is.
    Completely agree. I watched this one back in film school. Was fully prepared for another boring night in my cinema class. What a pleasant surprise this movie is.

I love classical movies though, so I'm a little biased.
    Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
    Jack: Trustworthy.

Comment

Citizen Kane is the biggest sh*t sandwich ever. Outside of maybe Juno, Indy 4 and Transformers 2.

Comment

"I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
        - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Originally posted by WriteByNight View Post
          Damn, ROT you gotta see Raging Bull at least.
          And Some Like It Hot.

Comment

... saw Sico's Bicycle Thieves recently, didn't think it held up to the much vaunted rep, but may have missed the point.

Will watch it again, sometime.
            Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by The Road Warrior View Post
              ... saw Sico's Bicycle Thieves recently, didn't think it held up to the much vaunted rep, but may have missed the point.

Will watch it again, sometime.
              Not only is this film in my top 5 of all time, it's the only film poster I've graced my wall with.

I couldn't find room for my Amores Perros and Down By Law posters, or those would be up there too That and the wife wouldn't let me hang those

Comment

Sounds like a good poster to have up Telly.

I'm sure it will grow on me, I've had this reaction to great art before, Antonioni's La Notte for example, but I try not to let the criticism sway me, so I can watch it initially on my own terms.
                It took me years, around 10, to watch Citizen Kane all the way through, having turned it off after 10 mins over and over -- usually as part of Christmas viewing formats, it used to be on a lot over here at xmas ... perhaps this is the best way, not to follow the croud ... but to get there in the end.

Actually, in Bicycle Thieves (I've read that it's released as The Bicycle Thief in USA on dvd) it did get under my skin sufficiently enough that I wanted to buy him a new bike; heck I was willing to get a bike or the separate parts for him from the markets by any means ! It's a tough film, Italian neo realism, definitely real.
                Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

The thing about some films such as Bicycle Thieves is that they're the first examples of something, be it a technique or a genre or whatever. What that means is that over time they can sometimes feel less impressive than films that came after it that were able to expand on and refine the elements that it pioneered.
                  Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

It's like The Blues Brothers you mention in your OP, a film I've watched many times, and the sequel, a film I'll never watch again.
                    BB is very good imo, but -- it's something of an oddity, the gags are okay, but it's not stunning, quirky, does it work as a musical, not sure, is it a Dan Ackroyd pet project, yes, you feel that ... a lot of films are like this, there's something there, a lot to watch/enjoy -- but it's not quite like the rep. that got you there in the first place.

Tend to think there's no such thing as a perfect film, there are a few that come close, tastes aside.

Allows you to accept a few that you may write off.

Comment

Originally posted by Cycstorm View Post
                      The thing about some films such as Bicycle Thieves is that they're the first examples of something, be it a technique or a genre or whatever. What that means is that over time they can sometimes feel less impressive than films that came after it that were able to expand on and refine the elements that it pioneered.
                      Good point. Which is probably why I won't watch Rear Window again.

Bicycle Thieves is something special though.
                      "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                      - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

Working...
                      X