Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek

I thought maybe it was just the experience of seeing this on the premiere night, getting caught up in a packed theaters excitement that had me enjoying this film. So I picked up the new DVD release. It wasn't the hype, this is a great friggin' movie!

Since it was just released on DVD I thought I'd repost my love for this movie. It was perfectly executed on so many levels and even though there were a few minor plot holes I was more than willing to look them over. Anyone else love this as much as I do or am I way off here? What's the latest on the next one, any news? Is Abrams going to helm it again?

Give it another whirl on DVD, you can thank me later.

Re: Star Trek

The thing that bugged me about this flick is that James T. Kirk was always ALWAYS getting his a$$ kicked. I don't think the guy won one fight.

Well, there were other things that bugged me about the flick, but that was one of them. I'm sure of it.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
      The thing that bugged me about this flick is that James T. Kirk was always ALWAYS getting his a$$ kicked. I don't think the guy won one fight.

Well, there were other things that bugged me about the flick, but that was one of them. I'm sure of it.

HH
      Hilarious. I JUST told my wife the exact same thing. It's seriously my only problem with the film, he constantly gets his arse beat. Hopefully he'll win a few fights in the next one

Comment

forget the plot holes. they really got the characters down good. and i especially liked that they improved on Uhura (now that we're out of the 1960's LOL!). and that Chekov kid was too bad either. oh wait a minute... that new Spock is as so sexy... so sexy.

Comment

It was all good expect it wasn't really about anything, no big ideas or even small ideas, well as far as sci-fi goes (though I suppose this classifies more as fantasy). I mean the story with Eric Bana, the big drilling thingy etc, it was all a bit whatever. I know they were inspired by stuff like BSG to an extent (camera angles etc), shame they weren't inspired beyond a surface level. The film actually saying something and having a point would have made it so much better.

Having said that, it was a lot of fun, but it's bubblegum sci-fi.

Comment

Red matter... that is bright red.

Woooow...

That's quite

Dumb
            Free Script Reads and Notes

​
            ​

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post

HH
              He got his ass kicked but I gave him full cred when he launched that sports car off the cliff as a kid.

Comment

Character development was very cool. The new Spook is likable.
                Free Script Reads and Notes

​
                ​

Comment

I'm not a TREK fan, but I have to agree...great film. Just watched it for the first time Friday night.

Comment

Great minds think alike, Telly.

Originally posted by jyangwrites View Post
                    He got his ass kicked but I gave him full cred when he launched that sports car off the cliff as a kid.
                    I don't even want to talk about the sports car (it was a Corvette, right?). I mean, first off, what's fueling that thing? I didn't see too many vehicles in that time period that looked like they used leaded. Secondly, the car's value declined because someone put in a third-party radio system, and C) if my kid had taken my prized CLASSIC, with a capital K, and drove it off a cliff, I would've killed him and there wouldn't have been a jury in the world that would've convicted me.

Unless it was a kit-car, and then it doesn't matter. (And where was that cliff, by the way? I've been to Iowa, and I didn't see rock formations that could've made Wile E Coyote nervous.)

And don't get me started on the fire that Spock had in that ice cave...

HH

Comment

I think it was more of an origin story/action movie than a real traditional Trek type movie. And I'm not a Trek fundamentalist. This is the best summer blockbuster we've had in a long time...

I think Kirk had to get his ass kicked a lot - otherwise he'd be the handsome, genius ladies man who never was taken down a peg. Getting his ass beat at least made him human. And showed that he can take as much as he can dish out.

Cast was perfect, too. Also, I love lens flare, so that was good...

Comment

I wasn't a fan of the pic, but rented the DVD to listen to the commentary with J.J, Damon, Brian, and Alex & Roberto. THAT was cool....

Comment

I'm a STAR WARS devotee, but TREK was my favorite movie of the year. Absolutely amazing. I had chills for ten mintues after The Enterprise rises up through the rings of Saturn...

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

It was good, not great but i think the telling point in the franchise will be the next one. Can they build on the good beginning or will they relie on injokes and BS and jump the shark early on?

Example... how many times can they kill the guy in the red shirt... movie #1 "funny", movie #2 "okay there it is again", movie #3 "Oh f#*k off and die you hack!"

it needs to become its own story fast.

As for kirk getting beaten up, where's the arc for the great Capt Kirk if he starts off awesome?

http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_captkirk.jpg
                            ________
                            Dc medical marijuana dispensaries
                            Last edited by Southern_land; 05-13-2011, 06:26 AM.
                            I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

i believe they're already in production for the next one. live long and prosper!

great pic, southern. that's a good one.

Comment

Working...
                              X