Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IMDB Top 25

How does everyone feel about the top 25 films on IMDB? Agree/Disagree?

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top
    Last edited by NePatsFan; 12-04-2009, 10:04 AM.
    Joan: What does the "T" stand for?
    Jack: Trustworthy.

Re: IMDB Top 25

Shawshank Redemption is number 1???? Completely disagree...

Makes me wonder if people even know why Citizen Kane is considered the greatest movie ever made. By this list, I'd say not.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/top
    The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

I think the order is rather crap, but all the films are definitely great films. Although, some of the films in the 25-50 range should in fact be in the top 25.

That's my opinion anyway (I haven't seen some of the older films on the list).

Comment

Any list that has Raging Bull at #72 is suspect.

HH

Comment

Any list that has The Dark Knight in the Top 10 isn't just suspect, it's worthless.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

What the building said.

HH

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
              Makes me wonder if people even know why Citizen Kane is considered the greatest movie ever made. By this list, I'd say not.
              The fact Citizen Kane is even in the top 100 is generous in my opinion. It's like comparing the wheel to modern invention. What a snore fest, move on already.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
                The fact Citizen Kane is even in the top 100 is generous in my opinion. It's like comparing the wheel to modern invention. What a snore fest, move on already.

lol.
                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

The order is definitely screwy, with something like Return of the King (11) edging out the far-superior Fellowship (20), but remember, these are just the votes of a pile of IMDB nerds with nothing better to do.

Comment

What's a stronger word for 'disagree'?

Comment

Syd Field must have created a SH1TLOAD of accounts to get Shawshank up to #1.

Comment

Originally posted by Xnod View Post
                        Syd Field must have created a SH1TLOAD of accounts to get Shawshank up to #1.
                        Indeed. It's not even the #1 movie from 1994.

Comment

It's interesting to me that an aggregate list like this open to everyone still results in mostly good and great films rising to the top.

I mean, if I were to tell a budding cinephile what list of films to see, I would certainly point to this Top 100 before the AFI list or the list of Best Picture winners.

The rankings aren't anything like how I would rank a Top 25/100/250 of all time, and yet I can still see the overall quality and importance of those listed. Even if I think a movie is awful (like, say, AMERICAN HISTORY X at #37), I can't say that I regret watching it. For the sake of education, of conversation, etc. The only regrets I have are the ones I haven't seen yet.

I think it's easy to say, at the very least, that it's a good list of relevant movies.

Comment

Edward Norton's performance alone makes American History X worthy of the top 50. I do think that all The Lord of the Rings are very overrated, along with The Shawshank Redemption. I think the Green Mile is superior to Shawshank.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                              It's interesting to me that an aggregate list like this open to everyone...
                              For this top 250, only votes from regular voters are considered.

IMDb's refusal to publicly release the criteria on what it takes to become a "regular voter" is a little suspicious to me.

Does my vote count? I don't even know. And that's bullsh*t.

Comment

Working...
                              X