Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Will Hunting - Internal & External Conflict

In Good Will Hunting, what does Will NEED and WANT? The one that's obvious to me is his NEED, which is to come to terms and accept his gift, but I can't seem to figure out what he wants.

Does he WANT to spend his time messing around with his buddies?
    From Final Draft to Final Cut

Re: Good Will Hunting - Internal & External Conflict

SPOILERS

As someone who was abused as a child, he wants to prove that he's tough enough that no one's ever going to abuse him again. He sees his intellect as something that could bring ridicule, and so he tries to hide it. However, as a recklessly impulsive character, there are times when he finds it hard to resist an intellectual challenge the same way he finds it difficult to resist the opportunity for a fist fight.

What he needs is to realize that he was never worthy of abuse and has nothing to prove to anyone.

Comment

Very insightful and spot-on, KeenGuy.

Comment

Thanks.
        From Final Draft to Final Cut

Comment

his external goal is to be with Skyler. and to realize the full potential of his gift as a means of escaping life in Southie.

because of his internal obstacle, neither of those can happen until he makes peace with his abusive past.

then he can go to see about a girl.
          Last edited by JoeBanks; 12-11-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

he wanted someone to tell him that "it's not your fault" until he believes it b/c he thought his abuse was his fault as so many children think.

Comment

Originally posted by idreamofoscar View Post
              In Good Will Hunting, what does Will NEED and WANT? The one that's obvious to me is his NEED, which is to come to terms and accept his gift, but I can't seem to figure out what he wants.

Does he WANT to spend his time messing around with his buddies?

Great movie to study, imo.

Will WANTS to honor his gift. That's why he's f*ing around at Harvard answering math questions.

He WANTS to deal with the damage his childhood has caused him. That's why he's lashing out, that's why he reluctantly lets Robin Williams in.

He NEEDS to let go. He needs to let go of the defenses he's developed over the years, he needs to let go of the anger, and he needs to let go of his attachment to the hood which is a crutch.

You're all welcome.

Comment

Working...
              X